Rutgers New Football Uniforms

djam2410

I honestly don't care about the sake of the other athetic sports. If the academics aren't getting the most, they should take a back seat. Of course, that's not the society we live in.

I'm not aware of any universities that use academic monies to fund athletics. They get their funding from entirely different sources. That's an argument that always comes up when a new coach gets a big salary or a stadium expansion gets approved and it holds no water. Expanding athletic budgets do not infringe upon academic budgets.

I wasn't saying that they do, I was just saying that I don't think it's right that the Athletic budget is bigger than the school budget.

Regardless, that wasn't my point. My point was that college football has no integrity, and never did.

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

050212_rutgersuniform_dngla.jpg

The numbers are a lot darker and the helmets a lot shinier than the Nike produced image.

http://www.northjersey.com/sports/college_sports/Rutgers_unveils_new_uniforms_for_2012_season.html

Why do those shoulder stripes look better on Rutgers than they do the Texans? :mad:

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

I honestly don't care about the sake of the other athetic sports. If the academics aren't getting the most, they should take a back seat. Of course, that's not the society we live in.

I'm not aware of any universities that use academic monies to fund athletics. They get their funding from entirely different sources. That's an argument that always comes up when a new coach gets a big salary or a stadium expansion gets approved and it holds no water. Expanding athletic budgets do not infringe upon academic budgets.

I wasn't saying that they do, I was just saying that I don't think it's right that the Athletic budget is bigger than the school budget.

Regardless, that wasn't my point. My point was that college football has no integrity, and never did.

Now that's just not true. College football may not be perfect and every school may bend the rules a bit (I know I'm going to be accused of being naive for saying this) but most schools are relatively clean.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Now that's just not true. College football may not be perfect and every school may bend the rules a bit (I know I'm going to be accused of being naive for saying this) but most schools are relatively clean.

And you would be right.

Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

Remember the mandatory "activity fee" you paid while attending Arizona Kev? That went to subsidize the athletic department.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Remember the mandatory "activity fee" you paid while attending Arizona Kev? That went to subsidize the athletic department.

The fee is not part of tuition, per se. It's a student fee. Still a different pot.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

The fee is not part of tuition, per se. It's a student fee. Still a different pot.

Please. That's semantics. It's still money they only get from people who are at the school for academic purposes. The same people and student loans pay those fees that pay the tuition bills and its money the athletic department would not have if those students were not there for academics.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I like the uniforms alright, although I don't understand why they kept the block "RUTGERS" on the chest instead of using the font that actually matches the numbers. Love the number font but hate the shiny silver, it should be white on red, red on white, and red on black. I don't understand the need for three silver helmets, they should have kept the red helmet and used the stylized R that matches the number font instead of the block R. The only silver helmet I like is the one with the black R and thats just because it balances the red and black the best. I think this was a good time to change for Rutgers and nike had some good ideas but failed in execution. Overall, this is a downgrade from their nice clean look.

Check out my new NFL 2016 Series!

1 word: Maryland.

2 words: Not really. They got a few hours of attention for a garish helmet/jersey combo and then it went away. Their look was outlandish the first time, but the second time they wore it nobody was impressed. So, they wore that stuff in a nationally televised game (which was already scheduled to be a national broadcast), got a mention on ESPN afterwards, then faded into oblivion. Kids aren't lining up to go to Maryland based on them having worn those helmets. By the way, Scott Van Pelt is a Maryland alum who hypes them and the Orioles every chance he can get, so he wasn't hyping the uniforms just because he saw them as a game changer.

Do you think anyone would've cared if Rutgers just swtiched to the speed machine uniforms? No. This change brings them much needed attention. Honestly, how could you expect them NOT to do something like this? Especially after what Maryland did (have a :censored:ty team that still got attention because of their uniforms), expect more and more of this.

No it doesn't! None at all. At least with Maryland's helmet and shoulder patterns, they were so outlandish that people had to take notice. The detailing on Rutgers' helmets will only be seen up close. From any distance, these are going to be run-of-the-mill monochrome uniforms with silver helmets. They won't get any national broadcasts for wearing them. They won't get any mentions on Sportscenter. Just a 30 second promo with the sideline reporter showing the helmet up close during a game. Talk of schools becoming big time and getting loads of press for rolling out new uniforms doesn't really come to be.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

1 word: Maryland.

2 words: Not really. They got a few hours of attention for a garish helmet/jersey combo and then it went away. Their look was outlandish the first time, but the second time they wore it nobody was impressed. So, they wore that stuff in a nationally televised game (which was already scheduled to be a national broadcast), got a mention on ESPN afterwards, then faded into oblivion. Kids aren't lining up to go to Maryland based on them having worn those helmets. By the way, Scott Van Pelt is a Maryland alum who hypes them and the Orioles every chance he can get, so he wasn't hyping the uniforms just because he saw them as a game changer.

Do you think anyone would've cared if Rutgers just swtiched to the speed machine uniforms? No. This change brings them much needed attention. Honestly, how could you expect them NOT to do something like this? Especially after what Maryland did (have a :censored:ty team that still got attention because of their uniforms), expect more and more of this.

No it doesn't! None at all. At least with Maryland's helmet and shoulder patterns, they were so outlandish that people had to take notice. The detailing on Rutgers' helmets will only be seen up close. From any distance, these are going to be run-of-the-mill monochrome uniforms with silver helmets. They won't get any national broadcasts for wearing them. They won't get any mentions on Sportscenter. Just a 30 second promo with the sideline reporter showing the helmet up close during a game. Talk of schools becoming big time and getting loads of press for rolling out new uniforms doesn't really come to be.

That's more press then they would've gotten had they not changed. Rutgers had nothing to lose by doing this. Sure, they may spoiled some "Tradition" that nobody cared about. But you have to look at it from the school's perspective:

Option A: Leave uniform alone, stay a middling program playing mediocre football

Option B: Change uniform, get a bit of attention, and most likely play mediocre football, but with a small chance of maybe getting some attention that could bring in some money that could be used to get recruits in the future.

There is no losing situation for Rutgers. The worst case scenario is that they lose, change back in two years, and it's as if nothing happened. And then what? It'll be like nothing happened. The only difference is that Rutgers got their 15 minutes of fame, which is more than they would've gotten previously.

That's not an option for Rutgers because they don't really have an iconic visual tradition.

So why not just change to green then, eh?

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

That's not an option for Rutgers because they don't really have an iconic visual tradition.

And Nike didn't give them one now. They have some pretty cool helmets even though they aren't in a team color, but they will just look like silver/gray helmets from any distance or on TV (other than close-up shots). Add in the run-of-the-mill modern template monochrome uniforms, and they look like a bunch of other teams. Once you stand more than 10 feet from them, there is nothing the least bit iconic about these uniforms.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

And Nike didn't give them one now. They have some pretty cool helmets even though they aren't in a team color, but they will just look like silver/gray helmets from any distance or on TV (other than close-up shots). Add in the run-of-the-mill modern template monochrome uniforms, and they look like a bunch of other teams. Once you stand more than 10 feet from them, there is nothing the least bit iconic about these uniforms.

There are many, many, many, many Red and White schools. There are not as many Red and Silver/Grey schools. The only one I can think of in FBS is New Mexico, and well, they're New Mexico. If anything, Nike gave them a stronger and more distinct visual identity. And

Add in the run-of-the-mill modern template monochrome uniforms, and they look like a bunch of other teams. Once you stand more than 10 feet from them, there is nothing the least bit iconic about these uniforms.

How does this look like any other school? This if probabley the most unique uniform next to Maryland, maybe Oregon, in the NCAA. It may not be iconic, but it's much more descernable that the generic uniform they had before. This is not a template fill like Fresno State, and I honestly do not understand how you can see it that way.

There are many, many, many, many Red and White schools. There are not as many Red and Silver/Grey schools. The only one I can think of in FBS is New Mexico, and well, they're New Mexico. If anything, Nike gave them a stronger and more distinct visual identity. And

Add in the run-of-the-mill modern template monochrome uniforms, and they look like a bunch of other teams. Once you stand more than 10 feet from them, there is nothing the least bit iconic about these uniforms.

How does this look like any other school? This if probabley the most unique uniform next to Maryland, maybe Oregon, in the NCAA. It may not be iconic, but it's much more descernable that the generic uniform they had before. This is not a template fill like Fresno State, and I honestly do not understand how you can see it that way.

I agree here. They are unique but not a piped up mess. I don't get why nobody can ever enjoy a new uniform that isn't a classic style.

concepts: washington football (2017) ... nfl (2013) ... yikes

potd 10/20/12

There are many, many, many, many Red and White schools. There are not as many Red and Silver/Grey schools. The only one I can think of in FBS is New Mexico, and well, they're New Mexico.

UNLV, Ohio State, Georgia (to an extent).

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

There are many, many, many, many Red and White schools. There are not as many Red and Silver/Grey schools. The only one I can think of in FBS is New Mexico, and well, they're New Mexico.

UNLV, Ohio State

UNLV is UNLV, and Ohio State is not going to be confused with anyone. Currently, there is no uniform that looks anything close to this one.

Archived