Mayor of Columbus, OH wants NBA Franchise

hettinger_rl

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Eh. Columbus has pro hockey, pro soccer, semi-pro football and minor league basketball. Is that metro area really big enough to support another major league team, especially with its relatively close proximity to Cleveland (just a few hours away, right?).

I've been to Columbus. There's a fun sandwich place just outside of town and an interstate right through it. Other than that, I'd have a really tough time selling that market to a potential NBA owner. You're basically resigning yourself to always being a second-rate market with second-rate talent. If it's generally not working in Sacramento, Milwaukee or Oakland, why would it work in Columbus?

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

I want nothing to do with the NBA. I'd rather cheer for the worst team in the NHL (and I have) than cheer for the NBA champion. Ugh, it's the worst.

The good news is that I don't think the NBA wants anything to do with Columbus either. Aside from the fact that they're not expanding or relocating anyone anytime soon, Columbus is a small market, 2 hours away from another team, and currently has a team in the NBA?s rival league. Aside from a very nice arena, what would the NBA want with this city?

Just because the silly mayor wants a team, doesn?t mean the league wants this city.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Eh. Columbus has pro hockey, pro soccer, semi-pro football and minor league baseball. Is that metro area really big enough to support another major league team, especially with its relatively close proximity to Cleveland (just a few hours away, right?).

I've been to Columbus. There's a fun sandwich place just outside of town and an interstate right through it. Other than that, I'd have a really tough time selling that market to a potential NBA owner. You're basically resigning yourself to always being a second-rate market with second-rate talent. If it's generally not working in Sacramento, Milwaukee or Oakland, why would it work in Columbus?

Fixed it for ya.

By the way, if the NBA expands to 32 teams (if it ever does make plans for expansion), Columbus might be one of the cities.

YOZXkBG.png?1

Eh. Columbus has pro hockey, pro soccer, semi-pro football and minor league baseball. Is that metro area really big enough to support another major league team, especially with its relatively close proximity to Cleveland (just a few hours away, right?).

Fixed it for ya.

By the way, if the NBA expands to 32 teams (if it ever does make plans for expansion), Columbus might be one of the cities.

No it won't. Indianapolis is three hours one way and Cleveland is two hours up the other way. If anything, Cincinnati would get an expansion NBA team before Columbus, but I wouldn't hedge any bets on that, either. (Or any other city in the midwest, for that matter.)

Columbus has the Jackets and The Crew; the Buckeyes dominate the rest of thr landscape. I don't see the NBA thriving in that type of environment.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Ladies and gentlemen, in the next five years say hello to your Columbus Bucks...

Maybe. There have been people suggesting that they trade the Bucks for the Blue Jackets.

But if Senator Kohl does indeed put up a large chunk of his own money for a new arena, the Bucks won't go anywhere.

Ladies and gentlemen, in the next five years say hello to your Columbus Bucks...

Maybe. There have been people suggesting that they trade the Bucks for the Blue Jackets.

But if Senator Kohl does indeed put up a large chunk of his own money for a new arena, the Bucks won't go anywhere.

Depends on what percentage he'd be willing to put up.

I heard he'd put up a significant amount...my dad heard he'd put up a sizeable amount...my mom heard he'd put up a "not insignificant" amount.

Hey, he's a Democratic Senator, so flip-flopping is daily business for him...

bYhYmxh.png

Fixed it for ya.

No it won't. Indianapolis is three hours one way and Cleveland is two hours up the other way. If anything, Cincinnati would get an expansion NBA team before Columbus, but I wouldn't hedge any bets on that, either. (Or any other city in the midwest, for that matter.)

Columbus has the Jackets and The Crew; the Buckeyes dominate the rest of thr landscape. I don't see the NBA thriving in that type of environment.

It's only two and a half hours from Indy for those of us driving slightly smaller vehicles. ^_^

6fQjS3M.png

Fixed it for ya.

I know you weren't really serious about Cincinnati as a potential NBA city, but I'll explain further as to why it wouldn't work:

- Shrinking population that is already over-extended with its two major professional sports franchises.

- no NBA suitable arena. Could tax payers build one? Maybe, but the city got burned by Paul Brown Stadium and I think people would be hesitant to vote yes again. It's also one of the most idiotically conservative places I've ever been.

- huge college basketball town. This year UC and Xavier were in the sweet 16. Louisville and Kentucky have a ton of fans in the region and they both reached the final four. Having lived as an adult in both cities, Cincinnati is a way bigger basketball city than Columbus is, but they're all about college basketball.

I've brought this up to Cincinnati homers and they respond with "But Oscar Robertson, Royals, Cincinnati Gardens, New Era throwback hat". Just because we had a team 50 years ago doesn't mean one could work in today's world.

PvO6ZWJ.png

The pros I see is that they do have an NBA ready arena in Nationwide. Whoever gave the go ahead to have that along with the Value City arena should be shot, but I digress on that one.

But other then that, not much to go on. Small population and alot of direct competition.

My view would be come back in a few years but as of now no.

Perhaps Columbus should ask for an NHL team first.

CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.pngHamilton Eagles- 2012 and 2013 Continental Hockey League Champions! CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.png

2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 CHL East Division Champions!

Niagara Dragoons- 2012 United League and CCSLC World Series Champions!
2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 UL Robinson Division Champions!

Archived