GS Warriors to relocate in 2017

They really should change to San Francisco Warriors. Golden State is silly. So silly that all my created teams on college sports video games are the "Golden State University Warriors".

"where'd you go to school?"

"GSU"

"ahh, Golden State. My niece went there"

PvO6ZWJ.png

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, now that they've gone ahead and said it, can they maybe not take five years to rename themselves? "Golden State" is terrible and dumb. I know the "thing" these days is to sort of wind down your identity and whittle it down to almost nothing so that the Big Relaunch seems even bigger, the way the Nets and Marlins both spent two years just sort of barely existing because they were going to clarify their location name in grand fashion, but that's dumb and makes your organization look like the lamest of ducks in the meantime. Get it over with.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

What about San Francisco Bay Warriors? It acknowledges San Francisco, but does so in a way that the rest of the Bay can claim them as their own team. I'm actually surprised that no teams have ever tried to brand themselves as San Francisco Bay the way the Tampa-St. Pete teams call themselves Tampa Bay.

What about San Francisco Bay Warriors? It acknowledges San Francisco, but does so in a way that the rest of the Bay can claim them as their own team. I'm actually surprised that no teams have ever tried to brand themselves as San Francisco Bay the way the Tampa-St. Pete teams call themselves Tampa Bay.

They should just rename the bay to "Golden Bay" and the problem would be solved.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

They should just rename the bay to "Golden Bay" and the problem would be solved.

Golden Gate Warriors

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Four words, eight syllables! Too wordy. Also, since "San Francisco" has currency as a place name and "San Francisco Bay" doesn't really, you might be inclined to think that the location is San Francisco and the nickname is "Bay Warriors." It's a variation on the old Nippon Ham Fighters dilemma, where you can't remember if they're fighting against ham or on behalf of ham.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Four words, eight syllables! Too wordy. Also, since "San Francisco" has currency as a place name and "San Francisco Bay" doesn't really, you might be inclined to think that the location is San Francisco and the nickname is "Bay Warriors." It's a variation on the old Nippon Ham Fighters dilemma, where you can't remember if they're fighting against ham or on behalf of ham.

Maybe someone who lives in the Bay could back me up on this, but I'm pretty sure San Francisco Bay is a fairly common term locally.

It's not like the fans are going to rage quit the team because they moved across the bay.

Moving BACK across the bay. They were in SF long before they were in Oakland. Plus they've always been the SF Bay Area's team. That hasn't changed with this announcement. A few Oakland-Only die hards will be butt hurt, but the rest of the region won't care. It's a stark contrast to the A's situation for some unfathomable reason.

And the name will probably be the San Francisco Warriors. They've already started the process of San Franciscation of the team with the most recent logo set and the big push toward throwback memorabilia featuring San Francisco jerseys (not just the short lived "the City" one).

It's not like the fans are going to rage quit the team because they moved across the bay.

Moving BACK across the bay. They were in SF long before they were in Oakland. Plus they've always been the SF Bay Area's team. That hasn't changed with this announcement. A few Oakland-Only die hards will be butt hurt, but the rest of the region won't care. It's a stark contrast to the A's situation for some unfathomable reason.

And the name will probably be the San Francisco Warriors. They've already started the process of San Franciscation of the team with the most recent logo set and the big push toward throwback memorabilia featuring San Francisco jerseys (not just the short lived "the City" one).

IMO the reason it's so different is because they are the only NBA team in the Bay Area already. If people in San Francisco, San Jose or Oakland want to support their local NBA team it's the Warriors regardless.

The A's however have the Giants there too, 'competing' for the Bay Area market, which makes things a bit more complicated.

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

sorry sweetie, but I don't suck minor-league d

CCSLC Post of the day September 3rd 2012

The Warriors Facebook page just posted a photo that says "2017. Stay tuned for a major announcement at 10 am" with a picture of San Francisco as the background

Because that is when the ownership has a press conference with SF Mayor Ed Lee.

The Warriors Facebook page just posted a photo that says "2017. Stay tuned for a major announcement at 10 am" with a picture of San Francisco as the background

Because that is when the ownership has a press conference with SF Mayor Ed Lee.

Ladies and Gentlemen, you're San Francisco Warriors are back in a little over an hour. And with them ends the dumbest name in American sports (other than Chivas USA).

Archived