USA Soccer - new hoop kits in action

ARTnSocal

Three different @GrantWahl tweets:

If you knew the work the US backroom staff went through to get new navy numbers for the uniforms tonight, you would be impressed.

The jersey number color switch will cost US Soccer close to six-figures at the very least, by the way.

US jersey snafu was not Nike's fault. US Soccer Federation took charge of numbering a while back.

Side note- shame about the result. Brazil is very potent to score at any point and they certainly showed that tonight. However, I do agree that the US had a good showing offensively and definitely had some unlucky breaks with the way the ball fell tonight. Easily could have been a more level scoreline.

>>>>

Either I'm color-blind or those revised numbers/nobs worn tonight looked platinum-gray to me, not navy, both in photos I've seen and on both of my HD TV sets. Whatever tho', I'm very glad they darkened them. Nice kits!!

Agree with his tweets. We definitely had some very unfortunate breaks, but either way we were still outclassed by a world-power team that Brasil truly is. It's always a thrill to watch them.

As far as the originals worn Saturday in Jax (below), it's amazes me that US Soccer didn't foresee that there'd be a problem as to how light they were.

usa_soccer_hoops_ltgray.jpg

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you knew the work the US backroom staff went through to get new navy numbers for the uniforms tonight, you would be impressed.

The jersey number color switch will cost US Soccer close to six-figures at the very least, by the way.

US jersey snafu was not Nike's fault. US Soccer Federation took charge of numbering a while back.

Side note- shame about the result. Brazil is very potent to score at any point and they certainly showed that tonight. However, I do agree that the US had a good showing offensively and definitely had some unlucky breaks with the way the ball fell tonight. Easily could have been a more level scoreline.

>>>>

Either I'm color-blind or those revised numbers/nobs looked platinum-gray to me, both in photos and on both of our HD TV sets. Whatever tho', I'm glad they darkened them.

Agree with his tweets. We definitely had some very unfortunate breaks, but either way we were still outclassed by a world-class football team in Brasil, who's always a thrill to watch play.

I thought they looked great on TV, though I haven't seen many decent pictures yet. Will be curious to see some hi-res ones when they come out. And I should have clarified, but that last little blurb about the match was actually my own thoughts! But yes, shame about the result, but not terribly disappointing considering how we responded. They just exposed us.

[[side note from me- shame about the result. Brazil is very potent to score at any point and they certainly showed that tonight. However, I do agree that the US had a good showing offensively and definitely had some unlucky breaks with the way the ball fell tonight. Easily could have been a more level scoreline.]]

I'm afraid that won't fly around here :rolleyes:

I thought they looked great on TV, though I haven't seen many decent pictures yet. Will be curious to see some hi-res ones when they come out. And I should have clarified, but that last little blurb about the match was actually my own thoughts! But yes, shame about the result, but not terribly disappointing considering how we responded. They just exposed us.

>>>>

I thought so too.

Here's another photo that was just posted on the web. All 3 photos I've seen on this thread from tonights game the numbers look platinum to me, not navy.

053012-Domination-SW-PI_20120530220612714_660_320.JPG

I'm pretty sure they're made up of a whole loads of navy dots really close together, that combined with the white background makes them look like they're platinum.

OT, honest question to ARTnSocal, why do you all your posts start with a run of >s in white?

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

sorry sweetie, but I don't suck minor-league d

CCSLC Post of the day September 3rd 2012

The darker numbers are much better.

I would almost believe the "USSF is behind this, not Nike" line, because Nike makes kits for teams world-wide. They know what will and won't fly with FIFA. Nike isn't Puma. They haven't been trying to get illegal kits into competition. The USSF probably thought they could throw the light-color numbered kits out there to see if they'd be OK. People complained, they switched them up. At least they admitted the mistake.

And I saw some fans on TV outside the stadium wear the blue-numbered jerseys, so they are for sale somewhere.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

They didn't switch at half. They're wearing the same jerseys as the first half. I don't think the announcer noticed the new numbers until the second half.

>>>>>

Just a friendly FYI ... The announcer is the legendary Ian Darke, very famous for calling English Premier League games on Sky (via Fox Soccer Channel) but has been calling all the games televised on ESPN-2 since the last World Cup. He's one of the best in the business.

neymar.tx.jpg

And your point is? They didn't change jerseys at half time. They were the same jerseys they wore in the first half. The numbers were navy, not grey. It's the same dot matrix pattern used on the jerseys Saturday. The only difference is it appears the dots are closer together or the dots are larger.

They didn't switch at half. They're wearing the same jerseys as the first half. I don't think the announcer noticed the new numbers until the second half.

>>>>>

Just a friendly FYI ... The announcer is the legendary Ian Darke, very famous for calling English Premier League games on Sky (via Fox Soccer Channel) but has been calling all the games televised on ESPN-2 since the last World Cup. He's one of the best in the business.

neymar.tx.jpg

And your point is? They didn't change jerseys at half time. They were the same jerseys they wore in the first half. The numbers were navy, not grey. It's the same dot matrix pattern used on the jerseys Saturday. The only difference is it appears the dots are closer together or the dots are larger.

Yeah apparently the "design and color are the same" bu enhanced, so I guess they thickened the dots or something. And that clarifies that the originals were in fact navy dots and not grey numbers.

I still have a hard time believing the USSF told a supplier, "Yeah, we want the numbers, but with a blue dot pattern fill instead of solid blue. We think it will be cool." It's especially odd given that other Nike teams (even Brazil, so it seems) have numbers filled with a dot pattern. Nike obviously designs their own numbers, and I'm willing to bet that every national team doesn't order from the same supplier, or that all the international Nike teams randomly decided in the same year to get numbers filled with dot patterns. The fact that the numbers even exist in a form other than solid navy blue makes it at least partly someone else's fault (other than the USSF).

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

>>>>>

neymar.tx.jpg

>>>>

If you're referring to me, I have no idea what you're on about. :wacko:

I still have a hard time believing the USSF told a supplier, "Yeah, we want the numbers, but with a blue dot pattern fill instead of solid blue. We think it will be cool." It's especially odd given that other Nike teams (even Brazil, so it seems) have numbers filled with a dot pattern. Nike obviously designs their own numbers, and I'm willing to bet that every national team doesn't order from the same supplier, or that all the international Nike teams randomly decided in the same year to get numbers filled with dot patterns. The fact that the numbers even exist in a form other than solid navy blue makes it at least partly someone else's fault (other than the USSF).

Nike might have put the numbers on there and all but each National Team has to sign off on them still, and if they don't like it they don't have to have it. This is what I hate about people on those boards constantly ripping Nike a new one, because for every idea and concept, for however good or bad it is, each team or client has to sign off on it, so ultimately its their choice, not Nikes. The Swoosh is simply coming up with new ideas and introducing them in their concepts, but they don't say if it goes on the field or not. Thats the teams choice.

The USSF applies the numbers and the lettering, Nike supplies them but they only give what is ordered. The USSF ultimately decided they wanted the platinum numbers that are on the away kits (or at the very least are similar to those numbers) to be on their home kits and applied them. Most teams, organizations and schools handle the numbers by themselves, they typically get them from their uniform supplier(s) and then do the application (it is much easier to deal with in-house application than relying on a factory to get the numbering and lettering right).

>>>>>

neymar.tx.jpg

>>>>

If you're referring to me, I have no idea what you're on about. :wacko:

Sorry. I thought you were disagreeing with my original post.

The USSF applies the numbers and the lettering, Nike supplies them but they only give what is ordered. The USSF ultimately decided they wanted the platinum numbers that are on the away kits (or at the very least are similar to those numbers) to be on their home kits and applied them. Most teams, organizations and schools handle the numbers by themselves, they typically get them from their uniform supplier(s) and then do the application (it is much easier to deal with in-house application than relying on a factory to get the numbering and lettering right).

The fault isn't with Nike for making the dot-patterned numbers. They can be completely legible. The problem was the USSF ordering numbers that were essentially indistinguishable from the main shirt color.

Like with the NFL redesign, I think there may be a little too much "Nike Blame" going on here.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

I guess one question could be this: what's the total purpose of the dot-matrix pattern in the first place? Is it too much or too boring to with a simple solid?

Aside from that, Nike/USSF (I'm blaming both) had to have known light on white wasnt a good idea, even up close...and especially with red stripes boxed around it. And speaking of that box, that's my primary point of contention with those hoop shirts. The idea of hoops asor a representation of Old Glory is great in theory, but the execution just looks weird, chiefly due to that large open white space on the backs.

Don't know if the USSF plans on sticking with a hoop motif come 2014 or not, but hopefully they'll find a better way to execute these, if there even is a way.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

I guess one question could be this: what's the total purpose of the dot-matrix pattern in the first place? Is it too much or too boring to with a simple solid?

I think it's part of Nike's attempt to reduce the weight jerseys. I can't believe the difference in weight is very significant though.

The fault isn't with Nike for making the dot-patterned numbers. They can be completely legible. The problem was the USSF ordering numbers that were essentially indistinguishable from the main shirt color.

Like with the NFL redesign, I think there may be a little too much "Nike Blame" going on here.

I'm not blaming Nike, in fact quite the opposite.

Aside from that, Nike/USSF (I'm blaming both) had to have known light on white wasnt a good idea, even up close...and especially with red stripes boxed around it. And speaking of that box, that's my primary point of contention with those hoop shirts. The idea of hoops asor a representation of Old Glory is great in theory, but the execution just looks weird, chiefly due to that large open white space on the backs.

Don't know if the USSF plans on sticking with a hoop motif come 2014 or not, but hopefully they'll find a better way to execute these, if there even is a way.

The dot matrix numbers are lighter, more flexible, and I assume better ventilated than solid numbers.

I'm not blaming Nike, in fact quite the opposite.

The dot matrix numbers are lighter, more flexible, and I assume better ventilated than solid numbers.

I didn't mean to blame you. Your comment was the most recent reply on the issue. We're on the same page.

I don't see how the dot matrix Nike numbers are any goofier than the Puma numbers they've used during the last WC cycle. The wonky digitized edges looked odd, but they might have served a purpose. The dot matrix numbers are lighter. Not sure what the advantages of Puma's numbers are.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

I'm pretty sure they're made up of a whole loads of navy dots really close together, that combined with the white background makes them look like they're platinum.

OT, honest question to ARTnSocal, why do you all your posts start with a run of >s in white?

To me, they looked like faded denim.

tumblr_nulnnz7RCV1r5jqq2o1_250.jpg

Oh what could have been....

Archived