USA Soccer - new hoop kits in action

ARTnSocal

<<<<

Although it was mentioned about the USA's new kit last month, tonight against Scotland in Jacksonville was the first game we played in them.

I like them, alot ......... except the silver jersey numbers. They should be navy blue, or else a much thicker outline..

Even the announcers on NBC Sports Channel were complaining about the poor visibility of the numbers..

All in all tho', it's a great looking kit, and a great result tonight.

USA 5-1 Scotland ... Donovan hat trick, but Michael Bradley a cracker of a goal to make it 2-0 before Scotland scored on an own-goal.

Here's a few photos of the new kits in action:

img19169707.jpg

article-0-13508C28000005DC-512_634x427.jpg

donovan_scotland_436.jpg

188562hp2.jpg

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just watched them in person at the stadium. The numbers were awful and impossible to read (even only about 10 rows up), but the kit itself was very nice. Looked incredibly American. There were TONS of fans that were wearing it tonight. Seems to be a popular look!

Two great-looking kits up against one another.

What the hell was Nike thinking with those numbers, though?

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

The USA kits looked great besides the numbers. I wonder what they were thinking when they decided on those, because the only way you can read them is in a close up. I was kind of worried about the socks, but they looked fine in action, hooped socks may have been a bit much. I hope this is the kit that we decide to keep long term, but that's what I said about the sash too.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

Great crowed for a non traditional soccer market. Still going to be a long while before MLS tries that area after two teams failed in that state.

A record for a friendly in FL. Surprised Jax got it. Not really a soccer market, so I thought.

Great crowed for a non traditional soccer market. Still going to be a long while before MLS tries that area after two teams failed in that state.

A record for a friendly in FL. Surprised Jax got it. Not really a soccer market, so I thought.

What, the Tea Men don't count? :P

These kits are gorgeous on-fieid, but yeah, they're going to have to do something about those numbers. Either make the silver a shade darker, thicken the outline, or ideally, make them solid navy. If uniform numbers can't be read by game announcers or at any distance, that's poor design, and misses the whole function of uniform numbers.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

These kits are gorgeous on-fieid, but yeah, they're going to have to do something about those numbers. Either make the silver a shade darker, thicken the outline, or ideally, make them solid navy. If uniform numbers can't be read by game announcers or at any distance, that's poor design, and misses the whole function of uniform numbers.

The numbers aren't silver. They are navy blue dots. From a distance they appear silver.

I'm sort of on the fence about these... the idea of wearing part of the flag as a shirt makes me think of something you'd find at a Toby Keith concert. I'd almost hate to see them go with this as a long-term look when the red sash kits are so gorgeous.

soccer%20jersey%202.jpg

I'm sort of on the fence about these... the idea of wearing part of the flag as a shirt makes me think of something you'd find at a Toby Keith concert. I'd almost hate to see them go with this as a long-term look when the red sash kits are so gorgeous.

soccer%20jersey%202.jpg

I like the new kits (except for the numbers and the fact that the stripes don't completely wrap all the way around). Never really liked those sash kits. the imagery of the sash always made me think of like European royalty or the Ms America pageant haha.

The numbers aren't silver. They are navy blue dots. From a distance they appear silver.

Then there isn't a high enough saturation of blue dots, and Nike should go back to what they used in 2010, if they're so insistent on making dot-matrix numerals their "thing".

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I think the numbers on the kits are out-of-reg for FIFA. They may be forced to change them for actual competition matches.

One of the rules says they have to be clearly legible. I think they'll make them change the color.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

soccer%20jersey%202.jpg

I like the new kits (except for the numbers and the fact that the stripes don't completely wrap all the way around). Never really liked those sash kits. the imagery of the sash always made me think of like European royalty or the Ms America pageant haha.

The sash is engrained into USMNT history though... they were wearing them during their most important victory to date (1950 vs England).

1950jersey-300x268.jpg

Are there any countries that wear an element of their flag as part of their kit?

soccer%20jersey%202.jpg

The sash is engrained into USMNT history though... they were wearing them during their most important victory to date (1950 vs England).

1950jersey-300x268.jpg

Are there any countries that wear an element of their flag as part of their kit?

Croatia immediately came to mind here. Their checkerboard kits make them one of the most recognizable in football, even if they aren't necessarily an international football power.

soccer%20jersey%202.jpg

1950jersey-300x268.jpg

Interesting, did not know that. Unfortunately, the first USA soccer kit that still comes to my mind is the 1994 star spangled mess (which happens to be the first World Cup I actually remember following).

soccer%20jersey%202.jpg

The first thing that came to mind when I saw the WC away kit was this

American%20Revolutionary%20Soldiers%203.jpg

Most revolutionary soldiers wore it over their left shoulders, but when it comes to soccer, the precedent was set for the sash over the right shoulder with the 1950 team. This is also the reason why the red kit had to have a navy sash (as opposed to swapping the navy with red from the away kit), because then you would have a redcoat.

It was not a coincidence that Nike started really pushing the "Don't Tread On Me" slogan in the lead up to the world cup. I'm glad they are keeping the sash alive, even if its only a sublimated one (a lot easier to spot on the away kit, not so much the home kit), we need a constant identity. I'd like to see the eventual red jersey replace the blue with red (keeping the sash Navy and sleeves White).

>>>>>

There's many ... as TFoA mentioned Croatia quickly comes to mind with their checkerboard pattern, but they're still new to the mix due to their lack of history as a sovereign country.

For me tho', the one that always comes to mind instantly has always been Argentina because they always qualify for World Cup, and there's no kit quite like theirs, and one that goes so very well goes with their flag and you ALWAYS know when you see them that's it's Argentina playing.

Argentina%2BHome%2BJersey%2B2012%2BJC.jpg

319136925.png

I can always spot Uruguay right away too ... although they don't wear the stripes as per their national flag, just the color. Holland and Italy are easy to recognize too, although they don't go by their flags.

6336586917_8ef3b3d904.jpg10841989-uruguay-flag-vector-illustration.jpg

soccer%20jersey%202.jpg

1950jersey-300x268.jpg

Croatia immediately came to mind here. Their checkerboard kits make them one of the most recognizable in football, even if they aren't necessarily an international football power.

Also, many may not realize it, but Argentina's long-famous striped shirts are actually evocative of their national flag. (That sun also made it onto the back of Argentina's kits in more recent years.)

As for the USSF, given the choice between the current hoops or the aforementioned sash, I prefer the idea of the sash?just not the execution of it as seen above. For one, it appears too elongated. That, and it's just a bit too wide.

This much is certain, though?and I think most if not all of us Yanks can agree on this here: the USSF (and/or Nike) needs to pick something and stick to it.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

This much is certain, though—and I think most if not all of us Yanks can agree on this here: the USSF (and/or Nike) needs to pick something and stick to it.

Yes I agree ... we should .. just as Holland, Italy, France, Argentina, Brasil, Uruguay, Paraguay Ireland, etc etc ...... but I also think we should pick a venue for our home games and stick with that too.

Virtually all countries play their home games in their nations capitol, yet we rotate our venues all over. I realize we're a big country but we should not be playing Mexico and other Central American teams in CA, AZ, TX, and FL, it takes from the home-pitch advantage .... Mexico is a huge country yet they always play their home games in Mexico City at Aztec Stadium and they've only lost once there I believe, to Costa Rica.

Back to kits ... I don't like shirts with sashes although I see judging from this board that many of our US soccer footy fans do.

I loved these shirts back in '94 ..... but they needed dark navy or white shorts. The red was overkill, the jersey number and nobs in red were quite suffice IMO.

TDK_lalas-94-400x2252.jpg

Archived