Favorite National Teams

smzimbabwe

Canada for everything, England for big football tourneys (i.e. World Cup, Euro) when Canada doesn't qualify.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I generally support the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland (country of birth)

I spent most of my childhood in Canada, a country where I obtained my love for hockey. So I support Canada in hockey.

I have lived the last 15+ years of my life here in the U.S.A, I support them whenever it doesn't clash with the other teams I'm mentioned. For example, in the 2008 Olympics, I was a big follower and supporter of swimmer Micheal Phelps and gymnasts Nastia Liukin, and Shawn Johnson.

I also support anyone going up against England/UK

I generally support the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland (country of birth)

I spent most of my childhood in Canada, a country where I obtained my love for hockey. So I support Canada in hockey.

I have lived the last 15+ years of my life here in the U.S.A, I support them whenever it doesn't clash with the other teams I'm mentioned. For example, in the 2008 Olympics, I was a big follower and supporter of swimmer Micheal Phelps and gymnasts Nastia Liukin, and Shawn Johnson.

I also support anyone going up against England/UK.

Northern Ireland is part of the UK :P

Yeah, and next you're gonna tell me Holland and the Netherlands are the same country. Pfft. Silly Cappie.

The Good Ol' US of A in everything.

Die Mannschaft and the Boys in Green for soccer due to heritage (just like almost every other American, I'm of German and Irish decent. More German than anything though.

Germany, and Ireland for hockey as well. I also keep up with the Australian and Croatian national hockey teams because of favorite players that played in Pensacola.

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

When it comes to soccer, I only root for one other national team besides the US: whoever's playing Mexico.

Other than that, I don't root for any other countries.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

USA first and foremost.

Ancestry leads me to support Croatia as well as Germany and Ireland to an extent. (And France, Italy, Hungary, and Slovakia). In soccer specifically, I also like to see England do well - my first ever match was at Wembley.

I also pull for Cameroon as my girlfriend was born there.

Hold up, Crash...you be dippin' in the chocolate, man? I knew you was cool like that. :P

That awkward moment when she's actually white... :P

6fQjS3M.png

USA first and foremost.

Ancestry leads me to support Croatia as well as Germany and Ireland to an extent. (And France, Italy, Hungary, and Slovakia). In soccer specifically, I also like to see England do well - my first ever match was at Wembley.

Hold up, Crash...you be dippin' in the chocolate, man? I knew you was cool like that. :P

I totally saw that coming the second I read Buc's post haha

Manchester-City-icon.png

In hockey (other than USA) I root for Slovakia, it started with my favorite player growing up Peter Bondra and I just developed an affinity for Slovak hockey players like Pavol Demitra (RIP), Marian Gaborik, Marian Hossa, etc.

In soccer I like Spain, mainly because my favorite European football club is Barcelona and all my favorite players play for Spain like Xavi and Iniesta.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

As far as the olympic sports are concerned, I'm pretty much only rooting for the USA.

Soccer's a different story. Of course, the USMNT is my favorite national team by a mile. My two secondary teams are Holland & Cote D'Ivoire. The #1 reason behind this is that they both wear orange kits, and that will go a long way with me in any sport. :lol:

Became a fan of Oranje back in the 1998 World Cup when they made a semifinal run with Bergkamp, Seedorf, and Davids running all over the place. The USMNT went out in quick & embarrassing fashion that year, so I decided to hop on the bandwagon of the team with the best uniforms, and that was Holland. Turned out to be a wise decision, they were entertaining as hell and I've been a fan of them ever since. You'll catch me pulling for them heavy once Euro 2012 rolls around.

Became a fan of Les Elephants by proxy of Oranje. Back in the 2006 World Cup, Cote D'Ivoire was in the same group as the Netherlands. Back then I had little-to-no clue about the "other" orange team, other than they'd probably be making a quick exit since they were in the same group as Oranje & Argentina. However, they showed plenty of talent & effort, and didn't roll over like many expected them to. Shoot, if they were in a different group, they may have had a damn good shot of advancing to the Round of 16. Anyways, I figured I'd follow them more intently if they made the 2010 World Cup, which they did, and ever since then I've tried to keep tabs on what they do in international competitions and I'll always pull for em to succeed.

Not by choice.

USA first and foremost.

So one of Brangelina's kids?

Not by choice.

Actually yes by choice. When what is now the Republic of Ireland was granted independence as the Irish Free State in the Anglo-Irish Treaty of 1921 the counties that currently make up Northern Ireland were given a choice to rejoin the UK if they so desired. They voted to rejoin the UK.

Why? Well there are two sub-groups of Irish ethnicity. The Catholics in the south who preferred independence and the Protestants in the north who wished to remain in the UK. The vote was a means to ensure that the Protestant north wasn't forced out of the UK without its consent. They voted to remain in the UK.

http://cain.ulst.ac.uk/issues/politics/docs/ait1921.htm

Points 11 and 12 specifically.

Also....

http://stormontpapers.ahds.ac.uk/stormontpapers/pageview.html?volumeno=2&pageno=1145#bak-2--149

Finally, the Ireland Act of 1949 grants Northern Ireland the right to leave the UK should its people decide to reverse the 1921 decision to remain in the UK.

http://www.uniset.ca/naty/maternity/irelandact1949.htm

So Northern Ireland is only still part of the UK because it decided to remain part of the UK in 1921, and has never exercised its right to leave.

Northern Ireland is part of the UK "by choice" by every definition of the term.

Sorry for the info dump, but hey. Facts are facts and whatnot.

Turkmenistan.

turkmenistan-flag.gif

Dünýä dursun, sen dur, Türkmenistanym!

One of the few national flag's that doubles as a carpet.

8026825156_0d03b8c868.jpg6864286734_be379a26d2_n.jpg

My fantasy teams: West Coast Cardinals (WRU), Glasgow Claymores (RLI) (Champions 2012) and Pemberton Foresters (VBL)

Apart from Australia, I generally go for Wales (place of birth) or the UK. Another favourite is Russia.

8026825156_0d03b8c868.jpg6864286734_be379a26d2_n.jpg

My fantasy teams: West Coast Cardinals (WRU), Glasgow Claymores (RLI) (Champions 2012) and Pemberton Foresters (VBL)

Not by choice.

Actually yes by choice. When what is now the Republic of Ireland was granted independence as the Irish Free State in the Anglo-Irish Treaty of 1921 the counties that currently make up Northern Ireland were given a choice to rejoin the UK if they so desired. They voted to rejoin the UK.

Why? Well there are two sub-groups of Irish ethnicity. The Catholics in the south who preferred independence and the Protestants in the north who wished to remain in the UK. The vote was a means to ensure that the Protestant north wasn't forced out of the UK without its consent. They voted to remain in the UK.

http://cain.ulst.ac.uk/issues/politics/docs/ait1921.htm

Points 11 and 12 specifically.

Also....

http://stormontpapers.ahds.ac.uk/stormontpapers/pageview.html?volumeno=2&pageno=1145#bak-2--149

Finally, the Ireland Act of 1949 grants Northern Ireland the right to leave the UK should its people decide to reverse the 1921 decision to remain in the UK.

http://www.uniset.ca/naty/maternity/irelandact1949.htm

So Northern Ireland is only still part of the UK because it decided to remain part of the UK in 1921, and has never exercised its right to leave.

Northern Ireland is part of the UK "by choice" by every definition of the term.

Sorry for the info dump, but hey. Facts are facts and whatnot.

Gee.. than I wonder what exactly the Troubles were all about. :rolleyes:

When I said "not by choice" I should of stated I was referring to myself. I was born in Northern Ireland. I am not British.

Good Friday Agreement:

The "birthright" of all the people of Northern Ireland "to identify themselves and be accepted as Irish or British, or both", is also recognised, as well as their right to hold both British and Irish citizenship; and that these rights are not to be affected should Northern Ireland become a part of a united Ireland.

Archived