International Football Musings

crashcarson15

It looks like Juve and PSG will book their tickets for the final 8.

(Though Valencia just cut it to 1 and Ibrahimovic got a red according to ESPN.)

Correct, for a stamp. Will miss the next leg of this tie but barring a further suspension from UEFA will be available if PSG go through. Beckham will also be available for the next tie - he was watching from the stands and will now join up with his new team mates.

While he has called MLS games before, I really feel sorry for a since he cannot win.

Tomorrow's game at from the Bernabeu is being billed by FSC as:

"Real Madrid vs. Manchester United Featuring Gus Johnson"

I will credit Fox Sports Group sending him to Madrid with Warren Barton.

I exoect this to be a really dull game as two strong teams cancel each other out. Part of me is hoping for some controversy or an early red card or something.

UBI FIDES IBI LUX ET ROBUR

• Replies 614
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Varane should've gotten a red card late in the match for his clear obstruction on Danny Welbeck, but nothing came of that. The German refs were absolutely horrible in that game, start-to-finish, with the ticky-tack yellow on RvP and then blowing the whistle before a corner kick at the '90 + 3 part of the game. Couple all of that with David de Gea's brilliance, and United should be very glad they escaped the Bernabeu with an away goal and an even aggregate marker.

Borussia Dortmund also probably earned themselves entry into the quarterfinal round, barring some awful play back in their home land.

This is for Crash, since he's probably seen the most PSG play out of all of us:

I was reading the comments section on the Real Madrid SBNation blog the other day, and I was a bit perplexed when I came across a comment that, more-or-less, said that "while PSG is definitely a threat in the UCL, they really haven't delivered for all the money they've spent". The reason this perplexes me is because:

*Lead Ligue One by six points, and have only conceded 13 goals in 24 games this year

*Winners in eight of their last nine Ligue One fixtures

*Winners in 12 of their last 13 fixtures across all competitions

*Won their group in the first round of the UCL

I mean, I'm no expert, but all of those numbers seem to check out on the snuff test. They're having a pretty excellent season, no? And I didn't include their victory yesterday at the Mestalla, since the comment in question was made prior to that game.

spacer.png

Varane should've gotten a red card late in the match for his clear obstruction on Danny Welbeck, but nothing came of that. The German refs were absolutely horrible in that game, start-to-finish, with the ticky-tack yellow on RvP and then blowing the whistle before a corner kick at the '90 + 3 part of the game. Couple all of that with David de Gea's brilliance, and United should be very glad they escaped the Bernabeu with an away goal and an even aggregate marker.

I was reading the comments section on the Real Madrid SBNation blog the other day, and I was a bit perplexed when I came across a comment that, more-or-less, said that "while PSG is definitely a threat in the UCL, they really haven't delivered for all the money they've spent". The reason this perplexes me is because:

1. Varane could well have been sent off. If deemed a foul it had to be a red card. I think the ref knew this and wasnt brave enough to do it in such a big occasion in front of so many home fans.

2. There is no actual rule as to when a ref can blow for full time. Even if the attacker is through on goal. Its just that more often than not, the ref waits for the end of the next play before doing so.

3. By far and away De Gea's best performance for United. Perhaps his 'coming of age' performance. Will be interesting to see if United still go out and look for another number 1 in the summer, with reports strongly linking to Begovic (who's club Stoke have already signed a replacement in highly rated England U21 Jack Butland).

4. This statement is true. given the amount of money which was spent, they had a poor season last season. It is only just now coming together as different pieces fall into place. When you spend that kind of money you have to be perfect or face criticism.

Borussia Dortmund also probably earned themselves entry into the quarterfinal round, barring some awful play back in their home land.

This is for Crash, since he's probably seen the most PSG play out of all of us:

*Lead Ligue One by six points, and have only conceded 13 goals in 24 games this year

*Winners in eight of their last nine Ligue One fixtures

*Winners in 12 of their last 13 fixtures across all competitions

*Won their group in the first round of the UCL

I mean, I'm no expert, but all of those numbers seem to check out on the snuff test. They're having a pretty excellent season, no? And I didn't include their victory yesterday at the Mestalla, since the comment in question was made prior to that game.

Yeah, no, sans the beginning of the year struggle to get a win, PSG haven't I don't think let any of us down. We understood PSG likely wouldn't run away with Ligue 1 (like I think a lot of people do—Ligue 1's deceptively tough) and to be six points up at this point in time is good. Granted, I think we'll all be disappointed if PSG don't win the league but no, I wouldn't say at all it's been a waste of money.

6fQjS3M.png

I'm a little surprised that the mob...err FIFA finally relented on this.

Let me explain the reasoning in a handy little timeline, why don't you kids at home try and spot the key reason why:

27th June 2010

In a World Cup match between England and Germany, England are disallowed a perfectly good goal by Frank Lampard. Lack of goal line technology seemingly blamed. FIFA: no action.

https://camo.phpbb.com/3585663a7f86061f47667a05344327387b2cf206/687474703a2f2f6934362e74696e797069632e636f6d2f666b707274302e706e67

19th June 2012

In a Euro 2012 match between England and co-hosts Ukraine, Ukraine are not given a goal which is deemed to have crossed the line. Once again, the lack of goal line technology is questioned by all. FIFA: Goal line technology a 'necessity'.

http://blogimages.thescore.com/counterattack/files/2012/06/UKR-NO-GOAL.jpg

19th February 2013

Goal line technology at future major international tournaments announced by FIFA.

Apparently, I got sent home sick today so I could see Gareth Bale's goal. Jeebus.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Luis Suarez nets a hat trick.

Subsequent to this, the CCSLC implodes.

Except for the resident Suarez fan here. As long as he's not doing it against Spurs, I'll be fine.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

Thanks in large part to a bogus red card.

The Chinese will counterfeit anything!

Listening to TalkSport, they couldn't believe that had happened. The way they made it sound after didn't jive with what I saw on FSC, though. So a little bias in the reporting. Still shouldn't have been anything more than a yellow, if anything.

Archived