The US is hosting a World Cup...

Philsphan

You guys left out Cleveland Browns Stadium!

Also, a NEW 85,000 seat Orange Bowl in Miami will replace the

outdated SunLife/LandShark/Joe Robbe Stadium before 2026.

And while we are at it...Couldn't Copa Mundal 2026 be held in

the USA AND Canada?

Stade Olympique would either be renovated or demolished and made way for a 70,000 seat retractable dome stadium.

Yeah, I guess.

Four venues qualify.

Qlympic Stadium - Montreal

Commonwealth Stadium - Edmonton

Rogers Centre - Toronto

BC Place - Vancouver

You could do 8 or 10 in the States, 4 in Canada. But I'm sure FIFA would like a 50:50 split.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

MetLife Stadium - New York/New Jersey Metropolitan Area

Gillette Stadium - Boston Metropolitan Area

Soldier Field - Chicago, IL

Sun Life Stadium - Miami Metropolitan Area

Cowboys Stadium - Dallas/Fort Worth Metropolitan Area

Arrowhead Stadium - Kansas City, MO

Sports Authority Field at Mile High - Denver, CO

CenturyLink Field - Seattle, WA

Farmers Field - Los Angeles, CA (if completed)

Rose Bowl - Los Angeles Metroplitan Area (ONLY if Farmers Field is not completed)

Round of 16: Metlife Stadium, Gillette Stadium, Sun Life Stadium, Soldier Field, Cowboys Stadium, Arrowhead Stadium, CenturyLink Field, Farmers Field

Quarter-Finals: MetLife Stadium, Soldier Field, CenturyLink Field, Farmers Field

Semi-Finals: CenturyLink Field, Soldier Field

Third-Place: Farmers Field

Final: MetLife Stadium

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

the USA AND Canada?

Stade Olympique would either be renovated or demolished and made way for a 70,000 seat retractable dome stadium.

Yeah, I guess.

Four venues qualify.

Rogers Centre - Toronto

BC Place - Vancouver

You could do 8 or 10 in the States, 4 in Canada. But I'm sure FIFA would like a 50:50 split.

Only problem with all 4 of those venues, you'd have to lay down real grass over the fake stuff for the FIFA events. And the real grass never sits right in those situations.

Also with the world cup venues, everyone keeps forgetting the Bay Area. The Niners new stadium is being designed specifically to hold World Cup and other FIFA soccer events.

the USA AND Canada?

Yeah, I guess.

Four venues qualify.

Rogers Centre - Toronto

BC Place - Vancouver

Only problem with all 4 of those venues, you'd have to lay down real grass over the fake stuff for the FIFA events. And the real grass never sits right in those situations.

Also with the world cup venues, everyone keeps forgetting the Bay Area. The Niners new stadium is being designed specifically to hold World Cup and other FIFA soccer events.

I included the Santa Clara stadium.

And here's the quote from Sepp Blatter regarding field turf.

FIFA, the world's governing body for soccer, continues to be in full support of new generation artificial turf and truly believes in its advantages for soccer players at all levels. FIFA president Sepp Blatter said that artificial turf will continue to be a big part of the game. "This is not only a point to make headlines, it is the truth. Football on artificial turf is the future."

Link.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

Based on how successful the cities that held it in 94 were, I'd go for a repeat of all of those plus 4 more. The 94 world cup is still the most attended in history and I see no reason to mess with success. The venues in 94 were:

Rose Bowl - Pasadena (LA)

Stanford Stadium - Palo Alto (Bay Area)

Soldier Field - Chicago

Citrus Bowl - Orlando

Foxboro Stadium - Foxborough (Boston)

Giants Stadium - East Rutherford (NY)

Pontiac Silverdome - Pontiac (Detroit)

Cotton Bowl - Dallas

RFK Stadium - Washington DC

The only changes I'd make would of course go to the modern large venue in each city/area, I would also move the Orlando games to Miami. And then I'd add 3 more venues since the prevailing trend is 12 venues now. The "old nine" being with the new ones following.

Rose Bowl - Pasadena (LA) (or Farmers Field/Industry Stadium if either is built)

49ers Stadium - Santa Clara (Bay Area)

Soldier Field II - Chicago (unless still deemed too small then move these games to Indy)

Sun Life Stadium - Miami

Gillette Stadium - Foxborough (Boston)

Metlife Stadium - East Rutherford (NY)

Ford Field - Detroit

Cowboys Stsdium - Arlington (Dallas/FW)

FedEx Field - Landover (Washington DC)

-

Centurylink Field - Seattle

Reliant Stadium - Houston

Qualcomm Stadium - San Diego (or the Chargers new stadium if/when built)

For the final I'd either go with Metlife or if built Farmers Field.

the USA AND Canada?

Yeah, I guess.

Four venues qualify.

Rogers Centre - Toronto

BC Place - Vancouver

I included the Santa Clara stadium.

And here's the quote from Sepp Blatter regarding field turf.

FIFA, the world's governing body for soccer, continues to be in full support of new generation artificial turf and truly believes in its advantages for soccer players at all levels. FIFA president Sepp Blatter said that artificial turf will continue to be a big part of the game. "This is not only a point to make headlines, it is the truth. Football on artificial turf is the future."

Link.

Luckily Sepp won't be around much longer. Cancer on the game that he is. Soccer like baseball has no business being played on plastic. And it's not advantageous to players as many will attest both physically and in how the ball plays.

From my experience, turf can be used for football/soccer, but is way too far of being ideal, and I think it doesn't belong in a World Cup yet. And no, I don't have any romantic reason for football/soccer being played on grass.

I've played (american)football and soccer both on turf and grass. I've had no problems playing football on a turf surface, and haven't seen injuries related to the field, but I can't say the same in the case of soccer. Maybe turf is gonna be at the right level of development by 2026, but until then, I think natural grass is the only option.

From my experience, turf can be used for football/soccer, but is way too far of being ideal, and I think it doesn't belong in a World Cup yet. And no, I don't have any romantic reason for football/soccer being played on grass.

I've played (american)football and soccer both on turf and grass. I've had no problems playing football on a turf surface, and haven't seen injuries related to the field, but I can't say the same in the case of soccer. Maybe turf is gonna be at the right level of development by 2026, but until then, I think natural grass is the only option.

It's been reasonably well documented that some earlier forms of turf have caused particularly knee injuries. I think newer forms of turf are more forgiving, but in soccer part of the issue is the bounce of the ball, and I've yet to see a turf pitch that doesn't have exaggerated bounce.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

I see some mentions of domes/indoor stadiums. Am I mistaken in thinking that FIFA doesn't allow games to be played indoors?

Thay have before. Many friendlies, and 1994 World Cup in the US at the Pontiac Silverdome.

By 2026, I believe that FIFA will have axed the grass rule, because grass sucks. Field turf is the way of the future!

Are you serious? England experimented with Turf in the late 80'/early 90's and caused more injuries in the space of a few experimental games than in a whole season on grass.

Artificial surface for professional football is a terrible idea, grass all the way!

Sorry looks like everyone else has already corrected your point :)

Yeah I agree with you guys that turf would be bad for football. Here's a rule change and an update to my list:

Rule change: I know this would never happen but for creativity's sake...

The United States wants to have a national stadium for soccer and possibly a future Olympic bid. The stadium can host an NFL team and/or an MLS team after the World Cup but it does NOT have to host any team besides the national team. (like Wembley Stadium)

In addition to the US National Stadium, the US has a budget for one 55,000 seat stadium or the renovation of three stadiums. So take your pick. Also, the USSF will pay for the laying of grass over any turf field.

Here is my updated stadium list.

Kennedy National Stadium. Built on the site of RFK Stadium. Will seat 90,000 for the World Cup. Possibly host a few DC United and Redskins games after the World Cup.

Finals, QF, R16

MetLife Stadium. One of three stadiums that grass is laid on top of turf. Hosts a semifinal, QF, R16

Cowboys Stadium. Stadium 2 out of 3 that grass is laid on top of turf. Semifinal, QF, R16

Farmers Field. (we are assuming that this field is built by 2026) 3rd place, R16

Century Link Field. QF, R16

University of Phoenix Stadium. R16

Santa Clara Stadium. New 49ers home. R16

Soldier Field. The stadium is renovated and even though it's small, the World Cup has to be in the US' third largest city. R16

(instead of 10 stadiums, 12 are now allowed)

No Knockout Stage Matches, (just group stage)

Citrus Bowl. Second Stadium that is practically demolished and built again, "renovated" and grass is laid on top of AstroTurf.

Vikings Stadium. This stadium is built by 2026.

FedEx Field. DC's "second" stadium has a lesser role

Reliant Stadium. Texas' "second" stadium

I mean you have countries like my beloved England that haven't hosted the WC in 50 years, and they were screwed by FIFA in the favour of Russia and Qatar!

England wasn't screwed... they finished dead last amongst all the European bidders.

Alright, then, where are you going to hold the thing in 2026? Europe and Asia are going to be ineligible to host. I don't really see anywhere in Africa or Oceania stepping up to host the World Cup, and that leaves you with the Americas. Mexico could probably put together a bid - so could Argentina. I really think that's it as far as things by 2026 in addition to the USA.

6fQjS3M.png

the USA AND Canada?

Yeah, I guess.

Four venues qualify.

Rogers Centre - Toronto

BC Place - Vancouver

You could probably get McMahon and Investors Bank there on temporary seating like you would have for the Grey Cup.

6fQjS3M.png

The United States doesn't need a national stadium. The country is far too big to have the USMNT only play in one stadium, it would keep far too many fans from being able to see them live. Having home matches spread across the country is a lot better for letting everybody see them play and continuing to build a soccer fanbase. Keep the matches against Mexico, South, and Central American teams that will fill the stadium with visiting fans in the north. Then put all the matches against other teams in Florida, LA, Chicago, etc. where they'll be able to fill the stadium with mainly American fans.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

US has to best Stadiums in the world. No doubt about it. Here is my list :

CenturyLink Field (1 RO16, Group matches)

Cowboys Stadium (Final, 1 QF, 1 RO16, Group matches)

MetLife Stadium (1 SF, 1 QF, 1 RO16, Group matches)

University of Phoenix Stadium (Group matches)

Reliant Stadium (1 RO16, Group matches)

FedEx Field (1 QF, 1 RO16, Group matches)

Sports Authority Field at Mile High (1 RO16, Group matches)

Lambeau Field (Group matches)

New Candlestick Park (1 SF, 1 QF, 1 RO16, Group matches)

Heinze Field(1 RO16, Group matches)

Final should have play in Comboys Stadium, it is world's best stadium :) I think about domes, but soccer isn't a sport like football that can play in closed area. It's wrong for soccer history :)

7995incib9612594.png

Galatasaray

Phoenix Suns

Green Bay Packers

The United States doesn't need a national stadium. The country is far too big to have the USMNT only play in one stadium, it would keep far too many fans from being able to see them live. Having home matches spread across the country is a lot better for letting everybody see them play and continuing to build a soccer fanbase. Keep the matches against Mexico, South, and Central American teams that will fill the stadium with visiting fans in the north. Then put all the matches against other teams in Florida, LA, Chicago, etc. where they'll be able to fill the stadium with mainly American fans.

Rule change: I know this would never happen but for creativity's sake...

You're 100% right.

Final should have play in Comboys Stadium, it is world's best stadium :) I think about domes, but soccer isn't a sport like football that can play in closed area. It's wrong for soccer history :)

You think the Bay Area is going to build a second NFL venue in the next ten years to go along with the 49ers Stadium in Santa Clara?

You think the Bay Area is going to build a second NFL venue in the next ten years?

I think he's refering to the stadium being built at Santa Clara.

OK... Illinoisan speaking right now. Soldier is not getting another renovation/expansion before hovering grandstands and luxury boxes become all the rage. There is no public money now and there will be no public money in the foreseeable future, on top of which the damn building got a complete, heavily public-funded rebuild less than a decade ago. Chicago is out for any future World Cups. Sorry.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Archived