The US is hosting a World Cup...

Philsphan

I'd like to hope with Atlanta being one of the biggest transportation hubs in the world, that'd be a good reason to give them a slot. But if the Dome is the only options I could see why they wouldn't.

Eagles/Heels/Dawgs/Falcons/Hawks

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

US has to best Stadiums in the world. No doubt about it. Here is my list :

CenturyLink Field (1 RO16, Group matches)

Cowboys Stadium (Final, 1 QF, 1 RO16, Group matches)

MetLife Stadium (1 SF, 1 QF, 1 RO16, Group matches)

University of Phoenix Stadium (Group matches)

Reliant Stadium (1 RO16, Group matches)

FedEx Field (1 QF, 1 RO16, Group matches)

Sports Authority Field at Mile High (1 RO16, Group matches)

Lambeau Field (Group matches)

New Candlestick Park (1 SF, 1 QF, 1 RO16, Group matches)

Heinze Field(1 RO16, Group matches)

Final should have play in Comboys Stadium, it is world's best stadium :) I think about domes, but soccer isn't a sport like football that can play in closed area. It's wrong for soccer history :)

You think the Bay Area is going to build a second NFL venue in the next ten years?

I think he's refering to the stadium being built at Santa Clara.

Ah, well I'll let him know now, it'll never be called New Candlestick Park. Not with it being 40 miles and two counties away from Candlestick Point. It'll undoubtedly be "Insert Corporate Name Here" Stadium by the time they open it in 2014, which in turn will be called Santa Clara Stadium or 49ers Stadium for the World Cup since corporate stadium names aren't allowed. In fact most of the stadiums we're all listing will have to be given temporary names in place of their corporate monikers.

I mean this, New Candlestick or Santa Clara Stadium.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proposed_new_49ers_stadium

Ah someone needs to update Wikipedia. There is no "or" anymore. They've already started construction on the Santa Clara Stadium. The Niners won't be playing in San Francisco come the 2014 season. New Candlestick (aka the Hunters Point Stadium) really died about 2 years ago or so.

I mean you have countries like my beloved England that haven't hosted the WC in 50 years, and they were screwed by FIFA in the favour of Russia and Qatar!

England wasn't screwed... they finished dead last amongst all the European bidders.

Alright, then, where are you going to hold the thing in 2026? Europe and Asia are going to be ineligible to host. I don't really see anywhere in Africa or Oceania stepping up to host the World Cup, and that leaves you with the Americas. Mexico could probably put together a bid - so could Argentina. I really think that's it as far as things by 2026 in addition to the USA.

I didn't mean anything by it, just that the US would have held 2 World Cup's within the space of 40 years.

In all fairness Argentina or Mexico would be above the US for me, not got nothing against the US, just think that a World Cup in Latin America is always going to be exciting, take Brazil 2014 for example that is going to be a really exciting one.

Again don't take this personally and get all defensive it's just my opinion :)

Lets see, where are the best soccer markets, and what new stadiums are there?

CenturyLink (Seattle)

MetLife (NYC)

Farmers Field (LA)

Reliant Stadium (Houston)

Lincoln Financial (Philly)

Mile High (Denver)

Arrowhead (KC)

JerryDome (Dallas)

FedEx (DC)

then as a wild card, I would put it in Miami if they ever renovate the thing like this.

dolphins.gif

If not, Chicago.

Lets see, where are the best soccer markets, and what new stadiums are there?

CenturyLink (Seattle)

MetLife (NYC)

Farmers Field (LA)

Reliant Stadium (Houston)

Lincoln Financial (Philly)

Mile High (Denver)

Arrowhead (KC) (Arrowhead is not new. It was renovated)

JerryDome (Dallas)

FedEx (DC)

49ers Stadium (Santa Clara)

then as a wild card, I would put it in Miami if they ever renovate the thing like this.

dolphins.gif

If not, Chicago.

There fixed

Don't forget China as a dark horse bidder for 2026 or 2030.

I don't think that can happen as Qatar has it in 2022, and thus Asia is disqualified in 2026 and 2030.

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

I don't think that can happen as Qatar has it in 2022, and thus Asia is disqualified in 2026 and 2030.

Bingo! I still have reservations that Qatar will actually host, but we shall see.

Bingo! I still have reservations that Qatar will actually host, but we shall see.

If the bidding for the 2022 World Cup is reopened which I think there is a possibility that it will, as a joke I think the US should put in a bid with every stadium in Connecticut. I mean Connecticut is roughly the same size as Qater. Higher population density and a higher overall GDP. Why can't Connecticut host the World Cup? If you don't like Connecticut, why not South Carolina, or Iowa? In fact let any state without a major pro sports team put in a bid to host the World Cup.

Bottom line for all of you who love sports and post here, but do little research into how global sport works:

FIFA appreciates facilities with roofs/covers. Since 2002 (Korea/Japan), the majority of the facilities used have had roofs or have been a dome/retractable roof.

2002 Korea/Japan: 20 stadiums used with 20 stadiums covered

2006 Germany: 12 stadiums used with 12 stadiums covered Germany also has some retractable roof facilities with capacity over 40K which were not used.

2010 South Africa: 10 stadiums used with 6 stadiums covered (Durban and CapeTown had facilities which could have been used, but they decided to built new, covered stadiums which now are white elephants. Since the rugby teams do not use them. SoccerCity/FNB Stadium is a semi-white elephant.)

2014 Brazil: 12 stadiums to be used with 12 stadiums covered

The venues for 2018 and 2022 will be covered .

As you have seen in the last three weeks, UEFA requires stadium stands to be under cover for their tournament and for the CL Final.

Even with a drainage system, most every NFL stadium has a field that has a crown Lambeau, Heinz, Reliant, and Candlestick are crowned. Even Ralph Wilson is highly crowned. FieldTurf domes (STL, NO) and newer stadiums like MetLife and Cowboys Stadiums are not crowned.

FIFA wants a surface to be flat with little crown for the ball to move evenly when passed.

1- The USA has over ten which meet FIFA's minimum capacity for first round events, 40K, and a few to host a Final, 80K.

2- The USA also has roofed/retractable roof stadiums which are able to host matches either with either replaceable trays of grass or an artificial grass surface. DFW (Arlington), IND, PHX (Glendale), ATL,

STL, DET, NO, HOU, SEA (but not all fans are covered).

Those which have retractable roofs must have a flat pitch with natural grass. and the ability to drain off any water, or just close the roof before a game

If the bidding for the 2022 World Cup is reopened which I think there is a possibility that it will, as a joke I think the US should put in a bid with every stadium in Connecticut. I mean Connecticut is roughly the same size as Qater. Higher population density and a higher overall GDP. Why can't Connecticut host the World Cup? If you don't like Connecticut, why not South Carolina, or Iowa? In fact let any state without a major pro sports team put in a bid to host the World Cup.

How about Alaska or even Nova Scotia, heck why not just the City of London!

On the criteria used to pick Qatar I think just about anywhere could host a world cup in Fifa's eyes.

Actually I just started reading the venues:

There will be 6 in Doha (pop. 1 million)

1 in Al-Khor (pop. 32,000)

1 in Madinat ash Shamal (pop. 5,400)

1 in Umm Salal (pop. 32,000)

1 in Al Wakrah (pop. 30,000)

1 in Al Rayyan (pop. 450,000)

and get this last one-

1 in Lusail - which is a planned city and doesn't even exist! in which they hope to build a 82,500 seater stadium!

Take a look for yourselves, have a good laugh:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2022_FIFA_World_Cup

The grass rule was and is the biggest thing in terms of it being played indoors. Pontiac Silverdome in 1994 had a special grass surface installed just for the World Cup.

Barring a change in the grass rule, unless special actions are done a la Pontiac in 1994, the following NFL stadia would be ineligible:

- Ford Field (Detroit)

- Met Life (N.Y.)

- Cowboys Stadium (Dallas)

- Superdome (New Orleans)

- Georgia Dome (Atlanta)

- M&T Bank Stadium (Baltimore)

- Gillette Stadium (New England)

- Edward Jones Dome (St. Louis)

- Paul Brown Stadium (Cleveland)

- Metrodome (Minnesota)

- Lucas Oil Stadium (Indianapolis)

In the few international soccer games the Georgia Dome has hosted in the last few years, they had natural grass installed on the floor just for the game, then they'd chuck the grass out back the next day and let whomever wanted some free grass to have at it....

The grass rule was and is the biggest thing in terms of it being played indoors. Pontiac Silverdome in 1994 had a special grass surface installed just for the World Cup.

Barring a change in the grass rule, unless special actions are done a la Pontiac in 1994, the following NFL stadia would be ineligible:

- Ford Field (Detroit)

- Met Life (N.Y.)

- Cowboys Stadium (Dallas)

- Superdome (New Orleans)

- Georgia Dome (Atlanta)

- M&T Bank Stadium (Baltimore)

- Gillette Stadium (New England)

- Edward Jones Dome (St. Louis)

- Paul Brown Stadium (Cleveland)

- Metrodome (Minnesota)

- Lucas Oil Stadium (Indianapolis)

In the few international soccer games the Georgia Dome has hosted in the last few years, they had natural grass installed on the floor just for the game, then they'd chuck the grass out back the next day and let whomever wanted some free grass to have at it....

Its definitely doable and for the World Cup certainly cost effective.

It was a tossup for me between Atlanta and Houston. That's one of the few cases where I chose the venue over what I felt was the better market. Reliant Stadium is world class, while the Georgia Dome is in that second tier.

I wouldn't take issue with the Georgia Dome hosting a World Cup game though. Hosted the '96 Olympics, travel hub, very large metro area.

The cities I would consider to host a game would be Atlanta, Boston, Chicago, Dallas, Denver, Detroit, Houston, Los Angeles, Miami, Minneapolis, NYC, Philadelphia, San Francisco, Seattle St. Louis and Washington D.C. And if we are including Canada, Montreal, Toronto and Vancouver. And I would consider Chicago, LA, NYC, San Francisco, Toronto (if Canada is a co-host) and Washington D.C. as locks to host games.

How about Alaska or even Nova Scotia, heck why not just the City of London!

On the criteria used to pick Qatar I think just about anywhere could host a world cup in Fifa's eyes.

Actually I just started reading the venues:

There will be 6 in Doha (pop. 1 million)

1 in Al-Khor (pop. 32,000)

1 in Madinat ash Shamal (pop. 5,400)

1 in Umm Salal (pop. 32,000)

1 in Al Wakrah (pop. 30,000)

1 in Al Rayyan (pop. 450,000)

and get this last one-

1 in Lusail - which is a planned city and doesn't even exist! in which they hope to build a 82,500 seater stadium!

Take a look for yourselves, have a good laugh:

http://en.wikipedia...._FIFA_World_Cup

Rigging votes for World Cups and Olympics is nothing new. Its pretty common knowledge that the '96 Atlanta games and '02 Salt Lake games were pretty much bought mainly through NBC lobbying. But in both cases you could at least justify the two cities as realistic hosts.

This was just too obvious and I think FIFA may have to open up the voting again just to save face, because the lead story of the 2022 World Cup is going to be how Qater basically bought it. Their plan calls for building stadiums in cities that don't even exist yet. That alone should be cause for concern. Never mind that their cooling system has never been tested on stadiums of that size and comes with no guarantee that it will even work.

To say Qater bought it is the only justification that even makes sense. That or Peter Griffin is the only voter, because I have an easier time envisioning this as an episode of Family Guy then real life.

Archived