The US is hosting a World Cup...

Philsphan

Hi everyone,

A few days ago, I was bored and I started thinking of venues for a world cup if it were to be played in the United States. So, if I were in charge of planning a World Cup in the United States, here's what I would do...

LA Memorial Colloseum: hosts the finals, a quarterfinal, a round of 16 match and various group stage matches

Cowboys Stadium: hosts a semifinal, a quarterfinal, a round of 16 match and various group stage matches

MetLife Stadium: hosts a semifinal, a quarterfinal, a round of 16 match and various group stage matches

University of Phoenix Stadium: hosts the third place match, a round of 16 match and various group stage matches

Century Link Field: hosts a quarterfinal, a round of 16 match and various group stage matches

Reliant Field: hosts a round of 16 match and various group stage matches

Soldier Field: hosts a round of 16 match and various group stage matches

FedEx Field: hosts a round of 16 match and various group stage matches

Citrus Bowl: hosts group stage matches

Heinz Field: hosts group stage matches

Feel free to make your own list or give mine C&C. I tried to have stadiums in all parts of the country and I tried to choose stadiums with more character over stadiums with less character. FIFA normally allows only ten stadiums and please list what games each stadium will be hosting like I did if you are making your own list. I hope you guys like this... It's different, but I had fun making my list and dreaming about the days when the US will host another World Cup

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi everyone,

A few days ago, I was bored and I started thinking of venues for a world cup if it were to be played in the United States. So, if I were in charge of planning a World Cup in the United States, here's what I would do...

LA Memorial Colloseum: hosts the finals, a quarterfinal, a round of 16 match and various group stage matches

Cowboys Stadium: hosts a semifinal, a quarterfinal, a round of 16 match and various group stage matches

MetLife Stadium: hosts a semifinal, a quarterfinal, a round of 16 match and various group stage matches

University of Phoenix Stadium: hosts the third place match, a round of 16 match and various group stage matches

Century Link Field: hosts a quarterfinal, a round of 16 match and various group stage matches

Reliant Field: hosts a round of 16 match and various group stage matches

Soldier Field: hosts a round of 16 match and various group stage matches

FedEx Field: hosts a round of 16 match and various group stage matches

Citrus Bowl: hosts group stage matches

Heinz Field: hosts group stage matches

Feel free to make your own list or give mine C&C. I tried to have stadiums in all parts of the country and I tried to choose stadiums with more character over stadiums with less character. FIFA normally allows only ten stadiums and please list what games each stadium will be hosting like I did if you are making your own list. I hope you guys like this... It's different, but I had fun making my list and dreaming about the days when the US will host another World Cup

I think the next World Cup in the USA should be better planned, you have to think about location i.e. host cities all over the US.

If USA did hold another world cup I think it should be (Some in your list I agree with but others I would change):

CenturyLink Field (1 RO16, Group matches)

Cowboys Stadium (Final, 1 QF, 1 RO16, Group matches)

MetLife Stadium (1 SF, 1 QF, 1 RO16, Group matches)

University of Phoenix Stadium (Group matches)

Raymond James Stadium (1 RO16, Group matches)

FedEx Field (1 QF, 1 RO16, Group matches)

Sports Authority Field at Mile High (1 RO16, Group matches)

Soldier Field (Group matches)

LA Memorial Coliseum (1 SF, 1 QF, 1 RO16, Group matches)

Lincoln Financial Field (1 RO16, Group matches)

Los Angeles Football Stadium replaces LA Memorial Coliseum if that gets built.

FYI though it's going to take a lot of persuasion to have the World Cup in the US again...

I mean you have countries like my beloved England that haven't hosted the WC in 50 years, and they were screwed by FIFA in the favour of Russia and Qatar!

Hmmm

I agree with most but I have some other selections

CenturyLink Field (1 RO16, Group matches)

Cowboys Stadium (Final, 1 QF, 1 RO16, Group matches)

MetLife Stadium (1 SF, 1 QF, 1 RO16, Group matches)

University of Phoenix Stadium (Group matches)

Sun Life Stadium (1 RO16, Group matches)FedEx Field (1 QF, 1 RO16, Group matches)

Sports Authority Field at Mile High (1 RO16, Group matches)

Soldier Field (Group matches)

Rose Bowl (1 SF, 1 QF, 1 RO16, Group matches)

Gillette Stadium (1 RO16, Group matches)

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Maybe there's an obvious answer, but what's the reasoning for using LA Memorial Stadium instead of the Rose Bowl?

There isn't. I don't think the Coliseum is even capable of hosting a World Cup regulation field size anymore. Rose Bowl was specifically modified to do so back in 1994, hence it now has those obvious notches cut in each of the four corners of the bowl. That and the Rose Bowl is in the middle of a modernizing renovation. However by the time the US were up for a world cup it would be irrelevant. A final in LA would be held in the new NFL Stadium.

Obviously the soonest that the States could host it is 2026. Lots could change stadium wise. I figure 12 would suffice, but they could easily use 14. As long as we don't see a Korea/Japan billion stadiums.

Rose Bowl, Los Angeles

MetLife Stadium, New York

Cowboys Stadium, Dallas

Sun Life Stadium, Miami

Georgia Dome, Atlanta

Reliant Stadium, Houston

Lincoln Financial Field, Philadelphia

*San Francisco Stadium, San Francisco

Gillette Stadium, Boston

CenturyLink Field, Seattle

*Vikings Stadium, Minneapolis

Soldier Field, Chicago

Like I'd expect Miami and Atlanta to have new stadiums by 2026.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

Soldier Field is too small. That's why it was left out of the last US World Cup bid and replaced with Indianapolis.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Soldier Field is too small. That's why it was left out of the last US World Cup bid and replaced with Indianapolis.

I know, but we'll be talking 2026. I'm sure they could renovate it. No way you'd leave the third largest city in the Country, out of the World Cup.

I see some mentions of domes/indoor stadiums. Am I mistaken in thinking that FIFA doesn't allow games to be played indoors?

Thay have before. Many friendlies, and 1994 World Cup in the US at the Pontiac Silverdome.

By 2026, I believe that FIFA will have axed the grass rule, because grass sucks. Field turf is the way of the future!

I see some mentions of domes/indoor stadiums. Am I mistaken in thinking that FIFA doesn't allow games to be played indoors?

Thay have before. Many friendlies, and 1994 World Cup in the US at the Pontiac Silverdome.

By 2026, I believe that FIFA will have axed the grass rule, because grass sucks. Field turf is the way of the future!

Several stadia have roofs that can close nowadays, such as the Millenium Stadium in Cardiff. Soccer will pretty much always be played on grass though!

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

You guys do know that there's no way Canada will let this slide without getting a couple of games in whatever stadium they have in Toronto at the time.

Why would Toronto host games, if the US is one of the most capable hosts on the planet?

Canada couldn't host much more than a Womens World Cup which we are in 2015, and maybe a Gold Cup down the road. Don't have the infrastructure in place, maybe in 2026. But Canadian cities outside of the larger ones have no use of 60,000 seat facilities, and to build ones with temp seating, only to have them brought back down 30-35000 is wasteful.

Now I would love the tournament here in Canada, but I can love it as well being in the United States. Maybe something will happen in Qatar and they won't be able to host, like failing to comply with FIFA regulations or something.

I know, but we'll be talking 2026. I'm sure they could renovate it. No way you'd leave the third largest city in the Country, out of the World Cup.

There's no money and will be no money. Period.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

The grass rule was and is the biggest thing in terms of it being played indoors. Pontiac Silverdome in 1994 had a special grass surface installed just for the World Cup.

Barring a change in the grass rule, unless special actions are done a la Pontiac in 1994, the following NFL stadia would be ineligible:

- Ford Field (Detroit)

- Met Life (N.Y.)

- Cowboys Stadium (Dallas)

- Superdome (New Orleans)

- Georgia Dome (Atlanta)

- M&T Bank Stadium (Baltimore)

- Gillette Stadium (New England)

- Edward Jones Dome (St. Louis)

- Paul Brown Stadium (Cleveland)

- Metrodome (Minnesota)

- Lucas Oil Stadium (Indianapolis)

That being said, I think the following NFL stadia will be in play:

Qwest Field, Seattle - Pac northwest was not an option in '94, with only Kingdome or Husly Stadium, both of which had Astroturf. Soccer-crazy area, outdooor natural grass stadium with existing MLS tenant, will take Detroit's spot from '94.

Reliant Field, Houston - Natural grass field retractable roof stadium in MLS town, will take Dallas' spot from '94 (held in Cotton Bowl that year).

FedEx Field, Washington - Takes the place of RFK from '94.

New 49ers Stadium, Santa Clara - assuming natural grass field; takes place of Stanford Stadium from '94.

Met Life Stadium -- I think they would replace the turf surface for the World Cup in order to have games in the biggest city in America.

New LA Stadium -- If it's natural grass, a slam dunk. If not, the Rose Bowl will probably be the fall back option. No way the metro LA area doesn't get a venue, regardless.

Soldier Field - I don't agree with the comments about the size. While Chicago has the smallest capacity stadium in the NFL, it's still bigger than most World Cup venues in other countries, on average. US second city has to be a site.

Lincoln Field/ University of Phoenix/ Heinz Field / Mile High -- I think one more slot will be given over to one of these sites. They each have something to offer, and of the four, I'd say that Philly has the best shot - MLS city, historical tourism, east coast location close to major flight routes, etc. Denver is an MLS city with the attraction of the Rocky Mountains, but lots of added flight time from Europe. Ditto Phoenix, vacation/tourism options (but in the summer heat!) but added flight times and not an MLS city. Pittsburgh has little to offer other than a nice stadium.

The last site: once again, Citrus Bowl, Orlando. Why do you think they were picked last time, despite having a crappy stadium? 'Cause they're in Orlando-- Disneyworld!! My friend went to a Holland match there and said the place was overrun with fans killing two birds with one stone -- watching their team in the World Cup and visiting the House of Mouse. The stadium is undergoing (needed) renovations now; probably more before then. No, it;s not an NFL stadium, but it's the best option for World Cup tourism. As a back-up, it may be Raymond James in Tampa (about an hour away) Or in Miami, but I think Florida will definitely get one venue and it will probably remain Orlando.

It is what it is.

Trying to spread this across time zones and regions. Also trying not to have two stadiums too close to each other. Also, predicting what will be there 14 years from now is ridiculous, so I am basing this off of current conditions.

Group Stages and Round of 16:

Rose Bowl - 92,000 - Pasadena, CA

Qualcomm Stadium - 71,294 - San Diego, CA

Cowboys Stadium - 80,000 - Arlington, TX

Arrowhead Stadium - 77,000 - Kansas City, MO

EverBank Field - 76,867 - Jacksonville, FL

Bank of America Stadium - 73,778 - Charlotte, NC

MetLife Stadium - 82,500 - East Rutherford, NJ (New York)

FedEx Field - 82,000 - Landover, MD (Washington)

Quarterfinals:

Rose Bowl

Cowboys Stadium

MetLife Stadium

FedEx Field

Semifinals:

Rose Bowl

MetLife Stadium

Finals:

MetLife Stadium or FedEx Field

Since it is only a difference of 500 in listed capacity, it all matters on if you prefer capital city, or largest city.

East/West coast here doesn't matter time-wise because A, whether you put it in NY/DC or LA it's going to suck for any European nation that would make the final, and B, no matter what the game will go on at prime time on the east coast, so that debate all really depends on whether you want the game in daylight in a bowl, or under the lights in a tiered stadium.

oBIgzrL.png

Here are my venue picks:

-Farmers Field, Los Angeles

-Rose Bowl, Pasadena (Los Angeles)

-Santa Clara Stadium, Santa Clara (San Francisco)

-Metlife Stadium, East Rutherford (New York)

-Gillette Stadium, Foxborough (Boston)

-Soldier Field, Chicago

-CenturyLink Field, Seattle

-Cowboys Stadium, Dallas

-Cotton Bowl, Dallas

-Michigan Stadium, Ann Arbor (Detroit)

-Sun Life Stadium, Miami

-FedEx Field, Landover (Washington DC)

The finals would be played at the Rose Bowl

You guys left out Cleveland Browns Stadium!

Also, a NEW 85,000 seat Orange Bowl in Miami will replace the

outdated SunLife/LandShark/Joe Robbe Stadium before 2026.

And while we are at it...Couldn't Copa Mundal 2026 be held in

the USA AND Canada?

Stade Olympique would either be renovated or demolished and made way for a 70,000 seat retractable dome stadium.

BRING BASEBALL BACK TO MONTREAL!!!!

MON AMOURS SIEMPRE!!

Archived