2012-13 NBA Logo & Uniform changes

Conrad.

Take with a grain of salt, but a comment from that blog post...

"Guys don’t worry, its not going to be the Pelicans. My source who works for the league office in NY and has confirmed that the Pelicans was one of 3 finalist but wasn’t the winner. The two other finalist were Voodoo and Krewe."

Out of those I'd prefer Voodoo but good lord all 3 are horrible. And more red/blue on top of it?

Should've went with either purple/gold or black/gold. The team name should have been something pirate themed.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gold/Black could be good, but Red/Gold/Black is too close to my Heat. Then again, I'd like to see the Heat bring back orange.

Yeah, I've thought about that. Would like to have seen it. They've used silver in the past with White Hot merchandise.

I really like the white hot jerseys as well but thought silver would be a nice touch for the lettering and numbers. Did the Heat actually wear the Back in Black jersey for the 2010-11 Season with "Heat" instead of "Miami"? I'm assuming thats the case based on the photo below but i don't think they were sold for retail. Also I have read that there will be a third jersey released next season continuing the black and white theme. Wonder what that's going to look like.

PACIIDOKBFDIDLJE.jpeg

No. Those were just sold for fans and worn in their NBA.com pictures. There will be a 3rd jersey introduced next season, but no word on the color(s) yet. With the all-red BIG color ones this year, it seems something with yellow/gold is all that's left. Maybe orange?

noh-recolor.png

:puke:

Hmmm...

indiana.0_standard_352.0.jpg

Thus, their green alternates would be a modernization of sorts. On the other hand, it wouldn't have been a bad idea to have the team's color scheme be some other variation of Blue/Green/Yellow (i.e., Navy/Kelly Green/Yellow, Royal Blue/Dark Green/Yellow, etc.), or even some variation of Purple/Green/Yellow, maybe making green the primary color while having heavy doses of purple and yellow. I've been considering a concept like this for some time.

As much as everyone here hates the Jazz's repeatedly color swaps I really hope they have one more left in them...bring back the purple in place of that god-forsaken blue. I like your idea of going green as the primary though to downplay the obvious New Orleans connotations

I always forget it's blue. I don't see that much a difference.

This: UtahJazzNavy_9999_SCC_SRGB.png vs. this: UtahJazzPurple_1996_SCC_SRGB.png

Kreme sounds so ghetto

tumblr_lxjm4n4umw1rn1xxfo1_400.gif

Typo aside, I agree somewhat. I wouldn't call it "ghetto", but it does reek of '90s nonsense where people used a z to pluralize words and intentionally misspelled words such as "dawg" to be cool. I know you have explained before that "krewe" has a distinct meaning to NOLA residents, but I think most people unfamiliar with the term will think it is just some stupid slang for a gang or something. As I mentioned before, it wasn't until a couple of years ago that I discovered thrashers were birds. I thought the hockey team picked the name to reflect the same era of "x-treme" nonsense.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Thus, their green alternates would be a modernization of sorts. On the other hand, it wouldn't have been a bad idea to have the team's color scheme be some other variation of Blue/Green/Yellow (i.e., Navy/Kelly Green/Yellow, Royal Blue/Dark Green/Yellow, etc.), or even some variation of Purple/Green/Yellow, maybe making green the primary color while having heavy doses of purple and yellow. I've been considering a concept like this for some time.

As much as everyone here hates the Jazz's repeatedly color swaps I really hope they have one more left in them...bring back the purple in place of that god-forsaken blue. I like your idea of going green as the primary though to downplay the obvious New Orleans connotations

I was perplexed by jhans comment as well...time for an eye exam? The difference between the colors is even more apparent if the '96-'97 recolor purple is used.

jazzsig4

I HATE THIS TIMELINE

From ESPN article:

If the Hornets nickname becomes available, Charlotte might be intersted in getting it back.

When the Hornets moved to New Orleans in 2002, owner Tom Benson said that he would like to change the name to something more fitting of the Big Easy. Before Wednesday's game, his wife Gayle reiterated that idea and added that the franchise would also like to change the team colors from teal and purple to red, gold and navy blue.

Bobcats owner Michael Jordan was asked if he'd be interested in bringing the Hornets name back to Charlotte.

"It's definitely an interest down the road, but right now it's the New Orleans Hornets," Jordan told the Charlotte Observer. "We would definitely entertain the opportunity. That's as much as we can say right now. We've heard the community ask the question, and we would listen."

The newspaper reports that throwback Charlotte Hornets jerseys are popular among young fans in the area, and team web sites buzz with others who still prefer the name and color scheme of the Charlotte NBA team that started in 1988. But owners or fans won't have the final say. The league issued a statement Wednesday saying that it is aware of the Hornets intentions but the ultimate decision on team names and colors resides with the NBA.

New Orleans Krewe and Charlotte Hornets it is, then!

also, LOL at the 'Cats changing logos, unis, etc. AGAIN for the millionth time. ;)

657189_display_image.jpg?1300233869

andre-miller-andersenjpg-368a36c62250b22d.jpg

I think I like these. I know they have that "90's black" feel to them, but other than that, why did they abandon this look? The lettering/numbering were unique and the sky blue really bounces off of those uniforms. It's nice. Even their logo from that era was a fun evolution of their classic "CAVS" logo.

Something about that particular shade of blue the Cavs used in the 90s really puts me off. Too periwinkle for my tastes, or too dull. I think the Cavs ought to stick with gold and wine -- especially if they can start wearing gold full time at home.

I was perplexed by jhans comment as well...time for an eye exam? The difference between the colors is even more apparent if the '96-'97 recolor purple is used.

You know, there is certain brighter arena lighting that gives the Jazz's navy jerseys a purply appearance, but then again, there is certain darker arena lighting that makes it almost look black. Also, the green alternates go from a somewhere-between-kelly-and-forest green to a somewhere-between-forest-and-some-darker green under certain lighting.

Utah's current colors almost appear as if you took their old Purple/Yellow/Green and darkened and/or muted those colors (except maybe yellow); it kind of gives off an antiquated appearance. I kinda like it, as it has a somewhat "timeless" feel, but on the other hand, I don't, because many of the colors often look too dull. The solution to that would be to lighten the green, lighten the blue (even royal blue wouldn't look bad), and/or make the navy a dark purple.

As for the Jazz moving away from purple, I feel part of it is that their pre-1996 uniforms and colors were too similar to the hated Lakers and the 1997-2004 look got quickly dated (around 1999-2000 or so). I recall seeing a guy from a distance walking around in a pre-1996 Jazz coat and originally thought it to be a Lakers coat due to its colors. Where I think the Jazz can return to using purple, remind people of their pre-1996 uniforms, and look distinct is by either making green the primary color or using it as equally as purple--essentially becoming a Purple/Green team with Yellow trim.

There are a few other ideas that the Jazz could have done at some point:

Used the colors from their BFBS 1999-2004 alternates, Purple/Black/Copper,

Used the Navy Blue/Light Blue (maybe with some Purple) scheme and used the current uniform template, or

Went with a hybrid of the 1997-2004 and 2004-2010 looks and went with a Purple/Light Blue color scheme, possibly with some Copper or Silver trim.

Like I said, there are a lot of options, and a navy-to-purple or navy-to-royal switchover could be done by making the green alternates the primaries for a year or two, thus making the changes look not so drastic. I don't think it'll be done for a few years, but I can see the day that the Utah Jazz tweak their current set, one way or another.

I think I like these. I know they have that "90's black" feel to them, but other than that, why did they abandon this look? The lettering/numbering were unique and the sky blue really bounces off of those uniforms. It's nice. Even their logo from that era was a fun evolution of their classic "CAVS" logo.

Lebron.

Seeing Portland's new alts tonight in action vs. Boston... really like them on the court, apart from the tough-to-read numbers. Hope the home and away switch to this font and stripe style, though. (and I miss Rip City too...)

I really like the white hot jerseys as well but thought silver would be a nice touch for the lettering and numbers. Did the Heat actually wear the Back in Black jersey for the 2010-11 Season with "Heat" instead of "Miami"? I'm assuming thats the case based on the photo below but i don't think they were sold for retail. Also I have read that there will be a third jersey released next season continuing the black and white theme. Wonder what that's going to look like.

PACIIDOKBFDIDLJE.jpeg

No. Those were just sold for fans and worn in their NBA.com pictures. There will be a 3rd jersey introduced next season, but no word on the color(s) yet. With the all-red BIG color ones this year, it seems something with yellow/gold is all that's left. Maybe orange?

Heat look sleek tonight in all White against my Nets. Battle of black versus white. I thought LeBron and the Heat were the bad guys?

I don't think BRO/SAS have played yet, so for now, this should go down as the least colorful game in NBA history (red AIDS awareness gear aside).

oRAS3.jpg

Interesting choice by the Heat to go with black gear with the White Hots this time. Last time they went all white. Last year, I'd hoped they'd wear white gear (except for black socks - I know some of you all hate this look but I love it), with the all-blacks. Not sure I love this look, but it's better than how I thought it'd look when seeing that they were wearing black shoes, sleeves, and headbands during warmups.

I've never fallen in love with a set more and more everytime i see it... Side panels were only on one side, giving it some character, IMO.

BROWNS | BUCKEYES | CAVALIERS | INDIANS |

Archived