2012-13 NBA Logo & Uniform changes

Conrad.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

These uniforms are garbage. You know what they really remind me of especially when seen in action on television- Double Dribble. For those of you born after the Reagan Administration, this was a videogame by Konami for the old Nintendo Entertainment System. Each team had one uniform in one color with no distinguising marks. But that's okay, neither did any of the players. That's how most everyone's uniforms looked on my TV despite it being in HD and a big screen. I'm not saying the regular uniforms were ever the easiest to look at in the wide shots, but I could usually read the numbers and on close ups it didn't look like a smear of color. This looked like crap when it was just Miami who had it for an alternate uniform last year, and it looks even worse this year. This is a fashion jersey unleashed. Maybe it might look good to some people as an accessory at a party, but as a functional uniform on the court, it fails on all counts. It fails to tell people the players' identity via number or name, it fails to be enough of a contrast in many games, and most importantly it fails to carry the teams' brand. I really hope as a game uniform this is a one-time thing. Knowing the NBA, I'm probably wrong.

NES Double Dribble

We all have our little faults. Mine's in California.

Notice how the identity's are unrecognizable

Since the NBA is only 5 on 5 and the players are not hidden underneath helmets or other sports equipment, each player is easily recognizable on his own and I honestly question the need for numbers and NOB's in the NBA at all.

I'm guessing you've never refereed or played a sport that had a referee.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Since the NBA is only 5 on 5 and the players are not hidden underneath helmets or other sports equipment, each player is easily recognizable on his own and I honestly question the need for numbers and NOB's in the NBA at all.

The only sport that could get by without numbers on the jerseys is baseball.

..in any event, if the Knicks uni had white lettering instead of orange, it would've been damn nice.

613x459.jpg?fit=scale&background=00000010136456-large.jpg

Reason Melo almost looked good in them.

The Jerseys themselves wouldn't look that bad if they had color in the numbers (Lakers with purple and Knicks with white). Still they look horrible.

Orlando%20Magic_zpsjn8kx3lf.png

The only sport that could get by without numbers on the jerseys is baseball.

Yeah for the actual in-game part, but if you're keeping track of a batting order they come in handy. It'd be easier at the major-league level, but at any other level, numbers would be just about a necessity.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I fear the NBA will become the same victim by the end of its tenure of the Adidas contract.

It's already there. Every team is forced to use the same mesh pattern and they can only choose between a select handful of collar designs.

This decision ruined the Sixers', Bucks', Hawks', and Timberwolves' uniforms, as well as the Bobcats' old set.

Quite frankly, it's sucking the creativity and cohesion out of NBA uniforms.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

If folks don't mind the pun...

These Christmas uniforms are (were) an aesthetic lump of coal. I really don't know who thought this was a good idea, as these uniforms lacked any kind of character, creativity, or identity. It looks like San Antonio, Memphis, Utah, Indiana, and Dallas have Xmas jerseys but (so far) didn't wear them. This tweet sums the Xmas atrocities perfectly IMO.

The Knicks using an orange alternate isn't a bad idea, but not like this. The only uniform that could be palatable is Miami's--if it were fashioned like their "Back in Black" and "White Hot" uniforms, with, you know, side stripes and such.

The uniforms themselves looked like :censored: but the OKC/MIA and LAC/DEN matchups both looked real good overall. There need to be more color-vs-color matchups.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Yeah, I like having more color vs. color this season. But they just weren't executed right (or at least consistently). I thought the Heat turned out okay, but they've been doing this for two years and three jerseys now. I don't know if the outlines on their wordmarks just lend themselves better to this style or if it's just color choices alone that make these work, but you'd think some thicker outlines could have been used to help translate better. Unless the point was to obscure it all, in which case the Heat and Nuggets were the outliers. The whole thing baffles me.

Did Andrew ever weigh in on these? I'd be curious to hear his take from the adidas side.

The ball behind the bull sucks. There is no other way of seeing this.

If folks don't mind the pun...

These Christmas uniforms are (were) an aesthetic lump of coal. I really don't know who thought this was a good idea, as these uniforms lacked any kind of character, creativity, or identity. It looks like San Antonio, Memphis, Utah, Indiana, and Dallas have Xmas jerseys but (so far) didn't wear them. This tweetsums the Xmas atrocities perfectly IMO.

The Knicks using an orange alternate isn't a bad idea, but not like this. The only uniform that could be palatable is Miami's--if it were fashioned like their "Back in Black" and "White Hot" uniforms, with, you know, side stripes and such.

Honestly, Miami Boston, Brooklyn and Denver was the only teams where I could see numbers on their uniforms.The Clippers, Knicks, Thunder, and to a lesser extent the Lakers were unreadable. It was hard as hell to watch any of the games though.

The fact the NBA logo was in the typical RWB colorscheme killed most of the looks on closeups. It was just distracting.

Miami's black on black and white hot uniforms are nice and have decent contrast.

About the only thing I did like about any of these was on the retail swingmans, when the Adidas logo was usually very visible and annoying. On these they used the same color thread and the logos almost invisible in person.

5cd0422806939bbe71c4668bc7e4fd92.gif

So, what happens with the 20 teams who didn't play on Christmas that we were shown monochromes of? The original rumor was that after X-mas, teams would wear these for every weekend home game. I wonder if the league heard all the griping about these when they started to leak out and pulled the plug on that.

What's the story with the ball-behind-the-bull, anyway? When did it start/why? Google provides no knowledge.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

As far as I know, it started in 1994 when the United Center opened, and that's really the only place I've seen it. I suppose it was just a design choice to differentiate from the old stadium, like the black baselines, the different font choice for the team name and the revamped championship banners hanging in the rafters. Harder to call attention to a new building in basketball and hockey, I suppose. I'm not sure any of those choices were upgrades.

Archived