Team USA Olympic Games Opening Ceremony uniforms revealed

RevNet

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Those look really nice. Berets are worn worldwide and have been for a long time...get over it.

When was the last time you saw one in the States though? Outside of some military uniforms (like the AF security forces pictured here) the answer is probably never. The pageboy caps looked much better, at least people wear them here! I'd still love to see a ballcap though, something I would actually consider buying.

USAF_Security_Police_-_173d_Security_Forces_Squadron.jpg

when's the last time you've seen anyone dress nice in the states?..we are a country of fashion slobs nowadays...if ralph lauren can do one thing well outfit individuals with classic american style...throwing a beret on is more than tolerable for an international uniform.

for 2016 they can wear barrels with suspenders and cowboy hats

Here in Canada, we're not as uptight.

CbD7G.jpg

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Those berets really do suck.

They should have had something similar to the pictured Canadian togs, only in red, white and blue and with baseball caps instead. That's a nice casual look by the Canadians.

I can't be the only one that thinks the Polo logo is too big, can I? Last I knew these were athletes on Team USA, not Team Ralph Lauren.

The Polo logo is definitely too big. It's on par with their bad looking clothes that has the huge "look at me, I can afford Ralph Lauren and want everyone to know it" polo logo on it. Besides that and the beret, I still think the rest of it is a great look.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

I can't be the only one that thinks the Polo logo is too big, can I? Last I knew these were athletes on Team USA, not Team Ralph Lauren.

It's par for the course. No different from the Nike swoosh or the Adidas stripes. The manufacturer has to make sure viewers know who made it.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Those look really nice. Berets are worn worldwide and have been for a long time...get over it.

When was the last time you saw one in the States though? Outside of some military uniforms (like the AF security forces pictured here) the answer is probably never. The pageboy caps looked much better, at least people wear them here! I'd still love to see a ballcap though, something I would actually consider buying.

USAF_Security_Police_-_173d_Security_Forces_Squadron.jpg

Was there anywhere near this uproar just 10 little years ago?

200202090836185.jpg

I was in Salt Lake for the games and the berets sold out in no time. The official stores could not keep up with demand.

patriotssignature.png

*SNIP*

Was there anywhere near this uproar just 10 little years ago?

*SNIP*

I was in Salt Lake for the games and the berets sold out in no time. The official stores could not keep up with demand.

The difference is summer and winter games. In the winter, they can be passed off as a necessity, in the summer, they're a fashion statement.

It's as simple as comparing how many people you see wearing berets/similar hats in the winter compared to how many you see wearing them in the summer.

Not to toot our horn again, but Canada has perfected the beret.

roots-canada-olympic-outfits.png

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

The only thing I don't like about them is the Polo logo. It may have more to do with it's shape, but it's larger than Nike, Reebok, or Adidas typically ever puts on anything they outfit to an organization. It's more dominant than the Olympic crest on the other breast. That's annoying.

Otherwise, they're beautiful, elegant, and classy.

We look like the United States of Benetton.

They're walking into an opening ceremony of an Olympiad, not going to a dinner party on Martha's Vineyard.

The berets dont bother me, it's the overall look of elitism that isnt sitting too well.

this whole thing seems retarded to me, instead of showing like "hey were america our athletes are here to perform", its like making a statement of: where better than you, where richer than you, and none of you are on our level. A someone said, instead of them looking like theyre entering an olympic event, they look like theyre going to some pompus elite gathering in the hamptons or martha vineyard. i rather them show up whereing red white and blue jump suits because its more athletic than this. and honestly its turning the olympics from an atheltic competition into a competetion of who can spend the most money to get the olympics, over praise the olympics, and make their countries look better than everyone else. the competition should only be on the playing field during these events.

Mets, Jets, Islanders

this whole thing seems retarded to me, instead of showing like "hey were america our athletes are here to perform", its like making a statement of: where better than you, where richer than you, and none of you are on our level. A someone said, instead of them looking like theyre entering an olympic event, they look like theyre going to some pompus elite gathering in the hamptons or martha vineyard. i rather them show up whereing red white and blue jump suits because its more athletic than this. and honestly its turning the olympics from an atheltic competition into a competetion of who can spend the most money to get the olympics, over praise the olympics, and make their countries look better than everyone else. the competition should only be on the playing field during these events.

For some of you slobs knuckleheads out there do you all realize that these are the uniforms for the Opening Ceremonies and not competition? Have any of you ever dressed up for a ceremony before in your life, like I don't know maybe a wedding or something like that? Believe it or not when individuals (diplomats/athletes/envoys) are traveling abroad and representing their country they often dress up out of respect for the occasion?

For the rest of you that have no context of history or tradition, it has been customary for athletes in nearly every sport to wear a jacket and tie at minimum while traveling or attending team functions. Even in many competitions the coaches and officials continued to wear suits and ties throughout the 80's up until the 90's.

When did dressing nicely become elitism?

The Opening Ceremonies have never been uber formal, especially at the Summer Games. I guess you skipped that history lesson.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

The Opening Ceremonies have never been uber formal, especially at the Summer Games. I guess you skipped that history lesson.

That doesn't mean you can dress your team like a bunch of athletic slobs. The new set is nice; it shouldn't get this much uproar.

So it's either coat-and-tie or "slob". Huh. Good to know. Thanks.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

I think the issue that grinds my gears is they are made in China

You're not alone in that regard. Apparently some in Congress, like Harry Reid, are very unhappy about that.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Archived