Nebraska Announces Alt Uniform for Game Versus Wisconsin

Of course all the traditionalists are whining. Everyone should only wear uniforms from the 60s, all the time. I think these are sharp. Red and black are always a sexy combo.

No, you're off base. This isn't a traditional vs modern thing, this is a poor design and that's why people are upset. You tell me one unique aspect about these uniforms that hasn't been done in the last 3 years.

And while red and black is a sharp combo, there are certain rules you have to play by. Having a mochrome red get up with a black helmet is not well-applied color theory.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Of course all the traditionalists are whining. Everyone should only wear uniforms from the 60s, all the time. I think these are sharp. Red and black are always a sexy combo.

It has a large N on the front so I'm guessing it's supposed to conjure up images of really old traditional uniforms. So to your point, traditionalists aren't "whining" because it's "modern", they're "whining" because it's about the ugliest f-ing uniform we've ever seen.

BB52Big.jpg

The Wisconsin-Nebraska similarity should be addressed by giving Wisconsin drop-shadowed Aachen Bold numbers like the scripts and numbers on the basketball team. Oh, and the motion-W. Nebraska shouldn't have to yield, even if they're the glorified-community-college-to-hear-it-from-some-folks interlopers here.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

No, you're off base. This isn't a traditional vs modern thing, this is a poor design and that's why people are upset. You tell me one unique aspect about these uniforms that hasn't been done in the last 3 years.

And while red and black is a sharp combo, there are certain rules you have to play by. Having a mochrome red get up with a black helmet is not well-applied color theory.

Why do there have to be rules to play by regarding this color combo, instead of design choices that they can chose from. And critics can like, dislike, wonder what we're they smoking and can I have some etc. the choice that they made.

What makes these so ugly to people? They aren't the greatest jersey's ever, but for a one-off, they're kind of cool. There isn't a ridiculous striping pattern, unnecessary colors(debatable, i guess, but the "Blackshirts defense" could be applied for the black), no ridiculous combo's or piping. It's simply a recolor of their current jersey's with a big "N" on the front instead of a number. Maybe if they added a small white outline around the black stripes it would have been more visually appealing. I just don't think this is as bad as people are making it out to be. Considering where this could have gone with the current trends in college football, I think this is way more successful than not.

You tell me one unique aspect about these uniforms that hasn't been done in the last 3 years.

i dont see why that matters. it seems like if you do anything trendy people say "its been done before; looks like a X rip off" and if you do somthing original its "its too gimmicky, you dont need that". you cant win.

i like this Nebraska stuff because its different for them. i would rather see black or white pants, double-red is really loud, but i say good job here

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

okay i couldn't resist doing the standard "what i would have done" concept

screenshot20120728at222.png

Just the black helmet and pants would have worked. This is ten million times better than that monstrosity that Adidas rolled out.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Why do there have to be rules to play by regarding this color combo, instead of design choices that they can chose from. And critics can like, dislike, wonder what we're they smoking and can I have some etc. the choice that they made.

It's not just for red and black. It's for any color scheme you choose. You could choose an analogous, monochromatic, or complementary or any other color scheme. And once you pick one, there are rules you should follow when implementing that color scheme to make it look appealing.

You can't expect to randomly paint by numbers and expect It looks good.

You tell me one unique aspect about these uniforms that hasn't been done in the last 3 years.

i dont see why that matters. it seems like if you do anything trendy people say "its been done before; looks like a X rip off" and if you do somthing original its "its too gimmicky, you dont need that". you cant win.

i like this Nebraska stuff because its different for them. i would rather see black or white pants, double-red is really loud, but i say good job here

I feel like you do not have an understanding of the word "gimmicky." If something is truly original, it cannot be gimmicky because there is nothing for it to be a cheap imitation of. (Granted, you try to claim that a team like Nebraska is gimmicky for developing a modern uniform, but you couldn't make any actual judgements on that uniform until you see it.)

And liking something for the sole reason "because it is different" is laughable. It's like buying a Nook because it's different than an iPad. Different does not automatically mean better, especially in this case.

I haven't seen anything yet that says that those Cornhusker alts fall under the Under The Lights category (or if adidas is even continuing with that promotional title past last season), so I'm curious, because I know one of y'all know, if that Nebraska-Wisconsin game will be played in daylight or under night lights.

For the sake of all that blackness, I hope it's the latter, because I just do not see those looking any kind of good out in the sun.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

I feel like you do not have an understanding of the word "gimmicky." If something is truly original, it cannot be gimmicky because there is nothing for it to be a cheap imitation of. (Granted, you try to claim that a team like Nebraska is gimmicky for developing a modern uniform, but you couldn't make any actual judgements on that uniform until you see it.)

And liking something for the sole reason "because it is different" is laughable. It's like buying a Nook because it's different than an iPad. Different does not automatically mean better, especially in this case.

its not really my words i was pointing to as far as gimmicks and whatnot but the comments we see here over and over. no one else looks like Oregon but ive read plenty of comments on their "gimmicks". it seems the general consensus is something is either a gimmick, or a trend follower, or unoriginal, etc. it would be great to have every school/team be completely unique, but its okay if its not too.

i agree 100% with you analogy here, but my point was its not good because its different, but its good for Nebraska because its different from their normal direction while also being a decent design. of course im in the minority on that 2nd point, but i feel like the design is alright enough. if it were their full time uniform i'd be in rage.

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

Just because something is truly original doesn't mean it isn't a gimmick. Being a gimmick has nothing to do with being a cheap imitation of anything. A gimmick is just an attention grabber, something to get people talking that serves no real service or substance to whatever the gimmick is being applied to. Anything can be a gimmick, whether it's been done before or hasn't, originality doesn't really relate to being gimmicky.

It's not just for red and black. It's for any color scheme you choose. You could choose an analogous, monochromatic, or complementary or any other color scheme. And once you pick one, there are rules you should follow when implementing that color scheme to make it look appealing.

You can't expect to randomly paint by numbers and expect It looks good.

Alright I'll be more specific to Nebraska's choice. What actual rule did they not follow, but in your opinion should've followed regarding this color combo?

I haven't seen anything yet that says that those Cornhusker alts fall under the Under The Lights category (or if adidas is even continuing with that promotional title past last season), so I'm curious, because I know one of y'all know, if that Nebraska-Wisconsin game will be played in daylight or under night lights.

For the sake of all that blackness, I hope it's the latter, because I just do not see those looking any kind of good out in the sun.

Nebraska-Wisconsin is currently scheduled to be a night game.

okay i couldn't resist doing the standard "what i would have done" concept

screenshot20120728at222.png

Too Texan-y for my taste.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Thank you, different for the sake of difference is just silly. It would be different to color the togs green and pink and use Bernian numerals but the uniforms would reek, not as badly as these, but they would be bad.

FsQiF2W.png

Archived