Nebraska Announces Alt Uniform for Game Versus Wisconsin

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it would have been great to do this: It could either have been done as a straight throwback, or it could have been done in black with red graphics (like the helmet) if something more modern was needed. There's more to these uniforms and this game than has been revealed as well, so stay tuned to see how it all comes together.

ncaanc1929opt1.jpg

Absolutely brilliant. Beautiful.

Side-by-side comparison of the Huskers and Badgers. Nebraska is on the left.

ce1126.pngce0f41.png

To the naked eye, Nebraska has a more "true" red color, like a fire engine. Wisconsin has a slightly rose-tinted hue.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

Of course all the traditionalists are whining. Everyone should only wear uniforms from the 60s, all the time. I think these are sharp. Red and black are always a sexy combo.

You tell me one unique aspect about these uniforms that hasn't been done in the last 3 years.

i dont see why that matters. it seems like if you do anything trendy people say "its been done before; looks like a X rip off" and if you do somthing original its "its too gimmicky, you dont need that". you cant win.

i like this Nebraska stuff because its different for them. i would rather see black or white pants, double-red is really loud, but i say good job here

This. If it were up to half of the rubes here, everyone would look like the SEC circa 1955, and designers would be out of a job. You have to push the boundaries to find good, new ideas. I'm not sure if this is that, but I applaud anything that pushes the boundries. Because in the wake of this, something better will be made. Things must change, or it gets stagnant. Deal with it, there aren't any unwritten rules about jersey design.

It looks like the number font is Aachen bold with no outline, so I am guessing that there won't be any black in the uniforms. It also looks like that there will be vertical striping on these as well.

Negative on the Aachen bold. I don't prefer it, myself, so that's good in my book.

I'm gonna guess most are guessong Aachen Bold since that's the font from which the motion W is based, as well as what their basketball team wears.

That said...first time I saw that image, I immediately thought "those are probably those old Clarenden-style numbers".

Guess we'll see on the 6th.

Not those either.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Side-by-side comparison of the Huskers and Badgers. Nebraska is on the left.

ce1126.pngce0f41.png

To the naked eye, Nebraska has a more "true" red color, like a fire engine. Wisconsin has a slightly rose-tinted hue.

From a distance, those look like the same color.

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

Yay! Michigan did a big letter for one game and now EVERYBODY is going to do it! Hooray football jerseys becoming hockey sweaters!

[/sarcasm]

What is wrong with this?

It would be an interesting common element for adidas to brand their teams with for big games. Tough to top that Michigan one, though. That was my favorite.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

im starting to think the reason Nebraska's jersey is similar to Michigan's is because that IS the point of it, and this game is an Under The Lights 2012 event

Found this on the facebook page, along with the new teaser image. The image is something that you can't really experience from the photos of the uniforms, but it surely is interesting and original:

"UNRIVALED SERIES ? WISCONSIN VS NEBRASKA

These special adizero 5 Star cleats were designed to commemorate the 7:00 PM CST kickoff. This marquee contest is adidas' first UNRIVALED Game, an annual match-up of top adidas programs. These aren?t just the lightest cleats being worn in college football this season; these cleats will come to life under the lights. Check back tomorrow as we unveil a new aspect of the uniform, which will be fully unveiled Monday, August 6th at 12:00 PM CST.

?LIKE? if you?re excited to see what we?ve got in-store for tomorrow...

#UNRIVALED"

269602_10152004249005249_1083868168_n.jpg

Yay! Michigan did a big letter for one game and now EVERYBODY is going to do it! Hooray football jerseys becoming hockey sweaters!

[/sarcasm]

What is wrong with this?

It would be an interesting common element for adidas to brand their teams with for big games. Tough to top that Michigan one, though. That was my favorite.

It's also an unnecessary one that will get quickly played to death. The problem with pushing "the Big Letter" for these programs as brands is that a lot of them already HAVE a brand, one that is quite workable. Michigan has their helmets, Nebraska has the Sea of Red, etc. You might be able to do something with Wisconsin's Motion W, since that is their brand, but it doesn't translate well to jersey fronts.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

im starting to think the reason Nebraska's jersey is similar to Michigan's is because that IS the point of it, and this game is an Under The Lights 2012 event

Found this on the facebook page, along with the new teaser image. The image is something that you can't really experience from the photos of the uniforms, but it surely is interesting and original:

"UNRIVALED SERIES ? WISCONSIN VS NEBRASKA

These special adizero 5 Star cleats were designed to commemorate the 7:00 PM CST kickoff. This marquee contest is adidas' first UNRIVALED Game, an annual match-up of top adidas programs. These aren?t just the lightest cleats being worn in college football this season; these cleats will come to life under the lights. Check back tomorrow as we unveil a new aspect of the uniform, which will be fully unveiled Monday, August 6th at 12:00 PM CST.

?LIKE? if you?re excited to see what we?ve got in-store for tomorrow...

#UNRIVALED"

269602_10152004249005249_1083868168_n.jpg

Because when I hear flashy cleats, I think of Nebraska and Wisconsin. Should be interesting. I'm hoping for 3D.

wisco_adidas-1.jpggbp-2.jpg

[/sarcasm]

What is wrong with this?

It's also an unnecessary one that will get quickly played to death. The problem with pushing "the Big Letter" for these programs as brands is that a lot of them already HAVE a brand, one that is quite workable. Michigan has their helmets, Nebraska has the Sea of Red, etc. You might be able to do something with Wisconsin's Motion W, since that is their brand, but it doesn't translate well to jersey fronts.

If you mention 'jerseys with big letters' to a random group of high school athletes a couple years down the road, what's the first thing that's going to come to their mind? Rhetorical, probably, and independent of anyone's personal opinion on the strength of these designs, I think that's why it makes sense in terms of branding and marketing.

I still can't get over this idea, gaining more and more currency every year, that high school football players care as much about logos and uniforms as we do. Recruiting kids with school-sanctioned prostitutes and giant bags of slush fund money, I'm used to that, but I can't wrap my head around selling a school with the promise of highlighter-chartreuse numbers on charcoal jerseys and having that mean anything.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I still can't get over this idea, gaining more and more currency every year, that high school football players care as much about logos and uniforms as we do. Recruiting kids with school-sanctioned prostitutes and giant bags of slush fund money, I'm used to that, but I can't wrap my head around selling a school with the promise of highlighter-chartreuse numbers on charcoal jerseys and having that mean anything.

In a way, it sort of legitimizes the existence of this board. :P Being a sports design enthusiast is now mainstream. Certainly it's good for designers who want to work in the sports industry that design has real and tangible value to universities and professional franchises.

Well I can shed some light on this. I run track in Illinois and I qualified for state in 2 events this past season in the highest division as a junior so I got recruited a bit by some local schools and a few bigger schools. I can't talk about too much, but it's not rare for them to brag about the fact that they use Adidas or Nike or Under Armour etc. I prefer Nike and my high school uses Nike so I've seen prototypes and designs for new uniforms. It's cool, but it's nothing that will make you commit. I've had a school promise me that I would get top of the line spikes every year (like those ugly neon spikes that the Olympians are using.) It sucks that I can't divulge too much, but these new designs and technology aren't at the front of recruits minds. It's a little different for football, but it's honestly not that big of a deal. It won't influence a recruits final decision too much.

Well I can shed some light on this. I run track in Illinois and I qualified for state in 2 events this past season in the highest division as a junior so I got recruited a bit by some local schools and a few bigger schools. I can't talk about too much, but it's not rare for them to brag about the fact that they use Adidas or Nike or Under Armour etc. I prefer Nike and my high school uses Nike so I've seen prototypes and designs for new uniforms. It's cool, but it's nothing that will make you commit. I've had a school promise me that I would get top of the line spikes every year (like those ugly neon spikes that the Olympians are using.) It sucks that I can't divulge too much, but these new designs and technology aren't at the front of recruits minds. It's a little different for football, but it's honestly not that big of a deal. It won't influence a recruits final decision too much.

Many of them, probably not, but there have been some high profile recent examples showing otherwise, like the basketball player who crossed off Baylor due in large part to its color scheme.

Archived