Nebraska Announces Alt Uniform for Game Versus Wisconsin

I still can't get over this idea, gaining more and more currency every year, that high school football players care as much about logos and uniforms as we do. Recruiting kids with school-sanctioned prostitutes and giant bags of slush fund money, I'm used to that, but I can't wrap my head around selling a school with the promise of highlighter-chartreuse numbers on charcoal jerseys and having that mean anything.

Well I can shed some light on this. I run track in Illinois and I qualified for state in 2 events this past season in the highest division as a junior so I got recruited a bit by some local schools and a few bigger schools. I can't talk about too much, but it's not rare for them to brag about the fact that they use Adidas or Nike or Under Armour etc. I prefer Nike and my high school uses Nike so I've seen prototypes and designs for new uniforms. It's cool, but it's nothing that will make you commit. I've had a school promise me that I would get top of the line spikes every year (like those ugly neon spikes that the Olympians are using.) It sucks that I can't divulge too much, but these new designs and technology aren't at the front of recruits minds. It's a little different for football, but it's honestly not that big of a deal. It won't influence a recruits final decision too much.

Many of them, probably not, but there have been some high profile recent examples showing otherwise, like the basketball player who crossed off Baylor due in large part to its color scheme.

That's just idiotic though. Any recruit with a good head on there shoulders won't let something like that sway them too much, but it does happen so what are you really going to do?

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I still can't get over this idea, gaining more and more currency every year, that high school football players care as much about logos and uniforms as we do. Recruiting kids with school-sanctioned prostitutes and giant bags of slush fund money, I'm used to that, but I can't wrap my head around selling a school with the promise of highlighter-chartreuse numbers on charcoal jerseys and having that mean anything.

Well I can shed some light on this. I run track in Illinois and I qualified for state in 2 events this past season in the highest division as a junior so I got recruited a bit by some local schools and a few bigger schools. I can't talk about too much, but it's not rare for them to brag about the fact that they use Adidas or Nike or Under Armour etc. I prefer Nike and my high school uses Nike so I've seen prototypes and designs for new uniforms. It's cool, but it's nothing that will make you commit. I've had a school promise me that I would get top of the line spikes every year (like those ugly neon spikes that the Olympians are using.) It sucks that I can't divulge too much, but these new designs and technology aren't at the front of recruits minds. It's a little different for football, but it's honestly not that big of a deal. It won't influence a recruits final decision too much.

Many of them, probably not, but there have been some high profile recent examples showing otherwise, like the basketball player who crossed off Baylor due in large part to its color scheme.

That's just idiotic though. Any recruit with a good head on there shoulders won't let something like that sway them too much, but it does happen so what are you really going to do?

One of life's conundrums.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Wisconsin's Nebraska uni

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

582033_455030974528912_1569030946_n.jpg

Wisconsin's Nebraska uni

526366_455031047862238_1381524583_n.jpg

well I clamored for differentiation and now I've got what I wanted and then some... N vs. W will now abundantly abundantly clear.

I think the W's would be a unique and great full time look if they replaced the W with numerals.

On the flip side, these jerseys will be absurdly easy to counterfeit, since all you need is electrical tape. On the flip flip side, who really wants to wear a Weasley Sweater?

EDIT-Thank God this game is taking a 4 year break after this season.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Is Adidas trying to claim the shoulder yoke as "their" design? The Wisconsin yoke looks very similar to the one Michigan will wear against Alabama.

Speaking of Michigan, hopefully neither Wisconsin nor Nebraska fans will react too positively to these uniforms. Many fans liked Michigan's UTL jerseys last year, so Adidas then felt the need to roll out other one-off variations for just about every other big game.

oh ,my god ,i strong recommend you to have a visit on the website ,or if i'm the president ,i would have an barceque with the anthor of the articel .

Is Adidas trying to claim the shoulder yoke as "their" design? The Wisconsin yoke looks very similar to the one Michigan will wear against Alabama.

Speaking of Michigan, hopefully neither Wisconsin nor Nebraska fans will react too positively to these uniforms. Many fans liked Michigan's UTL jerseys last year, so Adidas then felt the need to roll out other one-off variations for just about every other big game.

If Facebook is any indication, the reaction thus far has been negative overall, though not overwhelmingly so. Some like it. Most do not.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

582033_455030974528912_1569030946_n.jpg

Wisconsin's Nebraska uni

526366_455031047862238_1381524583_n.jpg

looking at these just makes me wish Nebraska's were on the same level. of the 2012 unis we've seen so far this is definitely my favorite alt and probably right behind Texas A&M overall.

you see Andrew talking about line weight/consistency often and this uniform (without measuring everything myself) looks to be a perfect example of just that. the weight of the W's and stripes through out are the same, even the numbers. the rounded numbers are a nice fit because the provide a contrast to the rigid angles and straight lines of everything else. they also have a vintage charm; modern numbers are mostly blocks. the jersey design uses the TechFit template to its fullest potential where sleeve stripes and shoulder loops just dont work on the sleeveless cut because they end being way too short, this Titans-like design does. it also gives the uniform a better color balance, incorporating enough red to not be boring but not so much that its too loud (like nebraska). the W on the chest looks great as 1 color, no outline. it may be Adidas' new trademark, but i have no problem with that as of now. its good to see something there that works, besides a number. the undershirt stripe is a bit odd though. sure it matches the helmet but its forced. just not much reason for it to be there.

the pants are almost Wisconsin's regular digs. the double stripe works and does flow with the undershirt stripe; the negative areas matching, and color consistency like seen with Texas A&M. the W on the hip dosent have much of a home there, its not integrated into the the design, its just sitting on top of the stripe. a missed opportunity there, but for the sake of the minimalist design, it might have been best to leave it off. i like the belt-less pants, most players do too for comfort and fit. if its a better product then thats what counts. you'll get used to seeing the design of it.

the helmet looks great too. i dont think theres anything better than a 1 color logo on a helmet (Nebraska, Indiana, Indy Colts, Kansas State, Texas, etc). i like the black face mask too. its a modern neutral, what grey was back in the day, black could be today. at least it works here well enough especially with the black cleats and gloves. it dosent grab your attention like a white mask would, it takes a back seat in the design and lets the W really shine.

again im a bit disappointed with Nebraska but im glad to see these 2 schools try something different. their identities are well established and they both are wearing the best uniform design they've ever had currently. perfect time to change it up a bit and break up the repetition of simple red and white game after game.

if theres one area Adidas is kicking everyones ass in, its these promo shots for the uniforms. UA does this photoshop explosion of suck to display their new designs. Nike makes everything look like they're in a damn cave. Adidas uniforms against the soft brown of brick and decent lighting without having the models do a Hulk Hogan impression is very well done. its almost a locker room environment. application and environment are everything with design, and its important to capture that in presentations. what Nike does is fine for advertising but when a design is unveiled this is a very good way to do it. i like being able to actually see and focus on the damn thing

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

Is anyone else really bothered by the fact that theres a vertical stripe on the undershirt but not on the actual jersey in the yoke. It might be slightly anally retentive, but it's just one of those things that really bugs me. And I actually think a vertical stripe in the yoke would look rather nice.

Anyone with better photoshop skills than me want to quickly throw something together/

Picture3.png

Picture4.png

wisco_adidas-1.jpggbp-2.jpg

Facemask is bad. W should be at the front of the helmet and not on the uniform. Red should be a bit darker. The yoke sucks.

And, as always, the undershirt is stupid as hell.

I dig the W gloves, though.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Is anyone else really bothered by the fact that theres a vertical stripe on the undershirt but not on the actual jersey in the yoke. It might be slightly anally retentive, but it's just one of those things that really bugs me. And I actually think a vertical stripe in the yoke would look rather nice.

Anyone with better photoshop skills than me want to quickly throw something together/

Picture3.png

Picture4.png

That is a great alt. Sadly, as a Husker fan, Nebraska's with the same concept is horrible.

Archived