NBA throwbacks for '12-'13

gdu

SIAP

"As part of their plans to outfit the upcoming 2012-2013 NBA season, Adidas Basketball will reportedly launch a new Retro Nights ?REV30″ collection of throwback uniforms for twelve of the league?s thirty teams, one of which being the Cleveland Cavaliers.

Paying homage to the 1990s, the Cavaliers, on these specific retro nights, will be outfitted in the infamous black and electric blue uniforms that are synonymous with the Mike Fratello and Shawn Kemp era of Cleveland basketball. Other kits that will be released include the Barkley era Phoenix Suns, the cartoon Toronto Raptors, and the Glen Robinson Milwaukee Bucks and Dikembe Mutombo Atlanta Hawks jerseys, complete with the cartoon Buck and Hawk, respectively. These jerseys will be (naturally) available for retail purchase as well.

The Cavaliers, having released New Expression uniforms following the summer of 2010, are now beyond their two-year window wherein the NBA forbids teams with new jerseys and/or logos from adding a third jersey to their collective closet. Previous ?Cav Fanatic? nights have paid similar homage to the 1990s squads, complete with electric blue and orange piping.

The Revolution 30 name will be popular nomenclature during the upcoming season as Adidas has released a new line of jerseys that are reportedly lighter while having quick-drying technology. They?re made from recylcled materials and will have technology that will decrease rubbing between the jersey and the player."

http://www.waitingfornextyear.com/2012/07/uni-watch-cavs-to-reportedly-wear-electric-blues-during-2012-13-season/

Now do the throwback sets get the ad treatment as well? I imagine they do, but with the cartoon raptor and the suns jersey, there isn't a lot of extra room.

KISSwall09.jpg

Now do the throwback sets get the ad treatment as well? I imagine they do, but with the cartoon raptor and the suns jersey, there isn't a lot of extra room.

The ads aren't coming until the 2013-2014 season.

SIAP

"As part of their plans to outfit the upcoming 2012-2013 NBA season, Adidas Basketball will reportedly launch a new Retro Nights ?REV30″ collection of throwback uniforms for twelve of the league?s thirty teams, one of which being the Cleveland Cavaliers.

Paying homage to the 1990s, the Cavaliers, on these specific retro nights, will be outfitted in the infamous black and electric blue uniforms that are synonymous with the Mike Fratello and Shawn Kemp era of Cleveland basketball.

http://www.waitingfornextyear.com/2012/07/uni-watch-cavs-to-reportedly-wear-electric-blues-during-2012-13-season/

Wherein Cleveland can now pretend that they gave a :censored: about the Cavs during that era. What a joke.

PvO6ZWJ.png

SIAP

Paying homage to the 1990s, the Cavaliers, on these specific retro nights, will be outfitted in the infamous black and electric blue uniforms that are synonymous with the Mike Fratello and Shawn Kemp era of Cleveland basketball.

Wherein Cleveland can now pretend that they gave a :censored: about the Cavs during that era. What a joke.

McCarthy is right. The seed has been planted, though.

Ah yes, that storied Mike Fratello Era that will be passed on for years to come. Definitely worth throwing back to.

Also, they seriously couldn't come up with better examples of players who wore that uniform or people who coached in that era than Fratello and Fat Shawn Kemp? Terrell Brandon, Mark Price, and Zyndrunas Ilgauskas come to mind immediately. Hell, they could even rock the throwbacks against the OKC TeamStealers, as Scott Brooks was a Cav at one point during the paint-stripe years.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Ah yes, that storied Mike Fratello Era that will be passed on for years to come. Definitely worth throwing back to.

Also, they seriously couldn't come up with better examples of players who wore that uniform than Fratello and Fat Shawn Kemp? Terrell Brandon, Mark Price, and Zyndrunas Ilgauskas come to mind immediately.

The Fratello-based "Use 23.5 seconds of the shot clock, score 78 points, and we might win" offense.

Brad Daugherty wore the black and electric blue for a year, didn't he? I wonder if they'll be selling size 84 Kemp throwbacks?

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Brad Daugherty wore the black and electric blue for a year, didn't he?

He was on the injured list the first two years of the Black-Blue/Gund Arena era; he didn't offically retire until the end of the '95-96 season.

http://www.cavshistory.com/players/brad-daugherty/

There is this, though...

jXqeSE4LCCFn9.png

You think they sold Brad Daugherty replicas at the time?

bSLCtu2.png

Also, they seriously couldn't come up with better examples of players who wore that uniform or people who coached in that era than Fratello and Fat Shawn Kemp? Terrell Brandon, Mark Price, and Zyndrunas Ilgauskas come to mind immediately. Hell, they could even rock the throwbacks against the OKC TeamStealers, as Scott Brooks was a Cav at one point during the paint-stripe years.

Depends which set they go to. Price didn't wear the 1997 or 1999 duds obviously. Terrell Brandon would be cool to honor, provided he can be pulled away from his PDX barbershop.

They should really honor Steve Colter and the Nasty Nine.

Mark Price is probably better associated with the royal blue and orange set, but Brandon and Tyrone Hill were probably best known in the black and light blue. Ilgauskas was with the team those years, but if you remember, he didn't really play much because of all the foot surgeries he had early in his career. He didn't hit his prime and become a fan favorite until later, early/mid-2000s.

But they are nostalgic for 30-year-olds which is a good target group for selling merchandise. Plus the hipsters love it.

These throwbacks should be pretty popular, so I'd expect them to be "too mainstream" for the hipsters. :P

Yeah, hipsters hit the 90s throwbacks hard a few summers ago, but now that they're going to be selling them at places other than Goodwill, swap meets, overpriced vintage stores and garage sales, I expect they will lose their cred in that circle. I do have an actual Champion replica of the Bucks green jersey, though, and I actually bought it when I was a kid. I also have a sweatshirt and had a Starter jacket with the original Jaguars logo (the one that never saw the field).

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Archived