Sacramento Kings rumor mill

panthers_2012

6783385199_07ce6e4d67.jpg

Yes please stage NBA games in this venue while the PatRobertsonDome is constructed. It'll be the Sacramento Sports Arena all over again.

ice.jpg

Actually, it looks like the old Portland Coliseum with those high end walls (end walls that are high, not walls that are high-end. Speaking of, I don't see any luxury boxes).

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's smaller than Milwaukee, about the same size as Nashville, and just a little bigger than the teeming metropolis of Greensboro. Milwaukee has fourteen Fortune 500 companies; Hampton Roads has four. Sacramento is first and foremost a government town, which is bad for corporate support; Hampton Roads is a military town (so to speak), which might be the only thing worse. In effect, you're basically giving a sports team to a naval base. Doesn't really mesh with how the NBA has tried to sell itself as an upmarket, sophisticated product.

Doesn't really mesh with how the NBA has tried to sell itself as an upmarket, sophisticated product.

When have they ever done that? Considering that the bulk of their marketing for the past two decades has been based around an arrogant gambling addict (Jordan) and a horrible teammate with a history of selfish ballhogging and rape accusations (Kobe), they've done a piss-poor job of selling themselves as "upmarket" or "sophisticated"... and that's not even mentioning the culture of corruption, whether it's the officiating or Sonicsgate. They haven't been able to market their way out of those criticisms.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Of course it isn't, but that hasn't stopped the league from promoting it as such, especially vis-a-vis the barbaric, tribalist NHL.

I disagree. What they really have spent the past three decades or so marketing is the image of the selfish, gloryhogging individual star, which is why guys like MJ, Kobe, and Shaq have been marketed aggressively, while classier guys like Duncan, Chris Paul, Dirk, and even LeBron have been marginalized or demonized.

I think style of play and team-building built that image up, too, so the teams and players share some of the blame for the league's bad rap. Now that we're seeing a new group of superstars who are more willing to share the ball and the limelight, I think things are starting to change, but we'll see.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

I dunno, it's a bit of a thing here for Bulls fans to call Blackhawks fans fat, boorish white trash, and for Blackhawks fans to call Bulls fans stuck-up, go-to-be-seen fairweathers. (As a fan of both the Blackhawks and Bulls, I compromise by wearing argyle sweaters and cursing profusely.) I figured there was a variation on the theme elsewhere, especially Boston. I thought we went over the NBA skewing affluent in "Let's Discuss NBA Fan Culture."

I dunno, it's a bit of a thing here for Bulls fans to call Blackhawks fans fat, boorish white trash, and for Blackhawks fans to call Bulls fans stuck-up, go-to-be-seen fairweathers. (As a fan of both the Blackhawks and Bulls, I compromise by wearing argyle sweaters and cursing profusely.) I figured there was a variation on the theme elsewhere, especially Boston. I thought we went over the NBA skewing affluent in "Let's Discuss NBA Fan Culture."

Poor folks can't afford $45 nosebleeds.

The only democratic sport is Major League Baseball, and it's actually the least democratic of them all.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Yeah, I see what you're saying, and I'd say it does kind of apply in Boston lol. Can't say I've ever exactly noticed it before you brought it up, but I'd say it's pretty much accurate here.

Complete opposite here. The Wild are for the white, rich, suburban snobs and The T-Wolves, well no one goes there. Just street thugs that, "GOTS TO SEE DEM SUM DAT NBA!!!"

t5ty54wyetw_zpsubqd9h5t.jpg

St. Paul Pioneers(GHA) Minnesota Skeeters(CL) Minnesota Lake Monsters(UFL)

Complete opposite here. The Wild are for the white, rich, suburban snobs and The T-Wolves, well no one goes there. Just street thugs that, "GOTS TO SEE DEM SUM DAT NBA!!!"

The Blackhawks are for suburban snobs (snoburbans?), too. That's what makes the whole stereotype so weird. It's the same damn people. But someone's successfully pushing the idea that the NBA is more civilized and thus more upscale. It's still just sports, though; gimme a break.

The larger point here is that Hampton Roads doesn't have a great deal of disposable income or a stable population.

The Sonics appeal to an upscale crowd with disposable income. Actually, everything in Seattle does because that's much of what Seattle is.

(There's lesser Seattle, of course, but outside of their white knights in land use decisions, no one really pays too much real attention.)

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

According to the news down in HR, they believe that they would have the income just by sponsors alone...

http://www.wavy.com/dpp/sports/bruces-latest-report-on-arena-proposal

The arena, built to NBA specifications would cost about $350 million, Virginia Beach with it's high bond rating could easily get that money in a 25 year loan. Live Nation, which also owns Ticketmaster is the world's biggest concert promoter and ticket seller, is losing money in financially strapped Europe, but is making big profits in Hampton Roads.

The Virginia Beach Amphitheater, which Live Nation manages is one of the top 5 most profitable venues in the Live Nation stable of venues. The company feels it can make even more money for itself and Virginia Beach if it can bring it's big acts to a new arena 12 months a year.

That doesn't even take into consideration an ACC or NCAA basketball tournament now and then. But starting Tuesday comes the hard part.

baltimoreravens.png

Of course it isn't, but that hasn't stopped the league from promoting it as such, especially vis-a-vis the barbaric, tribalist NHL.

I disagree. What they really have spent the past three decades or so marketing is the image of the selfish, gloryhogging individual star, which is why guys like MJ, Kobe, and Shaq have been marketed aggressively, while classier guys like Duncan, Chris Paul, Dirk, and even LeBron have been marginalized or demonized.

LeBron James has been marginalized from a marketing perspective? REALLY?

Look, I'm no LeBron hater, but that claim is ridiculous. He's been promoted as a face of the league since before his first pro game.

Did you miss the whole "LeBron's unclutch, LeBron's a traitor, LeBron's an :censored:" storyline that played out for YEARS in the NBA media?

Yes I have, which shows how aggressively LeBron has been marketed.

The Blackhawks are for suburban snobs (snoburbans?), too. That's what makes the whole stereotype so weird. It's the same damn people. But someone's successfully pushing the idea that the NBA is more civilized and thus more upscale. It's still just sports, though; gimme a break.

The larger point here is that Hampton Roads doesn't have a great deal of disposable income or a stable population.

In a large way, I think that perception comes from blowhards who listen to sports talk. Lots of clowns worked for years talking sports in Chicago without even acknowledging the sport of hockey existed. When Wirtz died and the Hawks started their renaissance, those types got upset that they had to pay lipservice to this wild new sport of hockey, so they created the meme of the hockey fans being either slovenly white trash or north suburbs/Will County people who only pay attention to the sport because it is some aryan outlet for them. So essentially, both of their hockey fan stereotypes have them being racists who like the sport for its fringe-ness (being gooning or the exclusivety). After those caracatures were created, all they had to do was insult hockey regularly and imply nobody cared, then they could screen the angry response calls to get the most buffoonish white trash and the most cloistered upper-middle class white people to call in to say dumb things, giving them more ammo.Then the people who listen daily and eat up what the talk shows are selling go, "ROFLOL hockey iz dumb, yer racist and not smart enough to understand basketball, so go to a T party rally or sumthin."

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Archived