Sacramento Kings rumor mill

panthers_2012

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why would they move to Virginia Beach when Louisville has a brand new facility?

Many cities have brand new facilities. I understand you may be biased, but that doesn't exactly mean they deserve a pro team. Especially since Louisville is less than two hours down the road from Indy.

Because that scenario means the Maloofs don't own the Kings anymore.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

It is a terrible move! Virginia Beach is a smaller city than Sacramento by about 30,000 people and it is growing at a slower rate than Sacramento according to the 2010 census.

The team would be in Virginia Beach, but the market would be the entire Hampton Roads area. You'd have to look at it as a whole.

Why would they move to Virginia Beach or Louisville when Seattle is begging for a team?

Why would the NBA move a team back to Seattle when they just moved a team from there 5 years ago?

Oh yeah, uh, gee, sorry Seattle, you guys can have the Kings franchise (the worst in NBA history) since we took the SuperSonics from you.

Virginia Beach is a choice similar to when they moved to Oklahoma City. There's no professional sports franchises, and there's probably plenty of residents who have been feigning for a pro sports team in real Virginia territory for years... It's got the population of a town that can barely support an NBA franchise, and given the history of the Kings, even if they move there I'd expect them to be around for about 20 years before moving again. That's just what the Kings do...

But IDK, I heard people think Virginia Beach is a :censored:ty place when it's not in-season.

signature1b.png

signature2qx.png

Why would they move to Virginia Beach or Louisville when Seattle is begging for a team?

Why would the NBA move a team back to Seattle when they just moved a team from there 5 years ago?

Oh yeah, uh, gee, sorry Seattle, you guys can have the Kings franchise (the worst in NBA history) since we took the SuperSonics from you.

Virginia Beach is a choice similar to when they moved to Oklahoma City. There's no professional sports franchises, and there's probably plenty of residents who have been feigning for a pro sports team in real Virginia territory for years... It's got the population of a town that can barely support an NBA franchise, and given the history of the Kings, even if they move there I'd expect them to be around for about 20 years before moving again. That's just what the Kings do...

But IDK, I heard people think Virginia Beach is a :censored:ty place when it's not in-season.

The NBA didn't move the Sonics, the owners did. Because of no new arena and nothing else... except maybe the desire to have a team in their hometown. But Seattle is still the strongest available market.

I say let them go. The city of Sacramento has been put thought the ringer by the Maloofs. They agreed to build them an arena and they balked because the city had the audacity to ask them to pay for the portion they had previously agreed to. They have repeatedly sabatoged efforts to build an arena and everyone is tired of it.

If another city gets the Kings through a sale of the team, I'm not okay with it as there are several investors willing to buy the Kings and keep them here (live in Sac). But if the Maloofs insist on owning the team, Bon voyage.

Personally, I don't think we've seen the last of NBA/David Stern involvement in the matter. The Maloofs business practices are too suspect.

I just caught the piece on the rumor on two separate local stations here in sac. Its actually closer to a million population difference in the between the 2 different areas. And that is not including central valley cities, stockton and Modesto. It would be a bad move. I'm a Kings fan. NBA needs to just step in and force the maloofs to sell the team. I am thankful for the time that they saved the Kings and gave us winnin seasons but there were Sacramento Kings before the Maloofs, there should be after them.

As a Virginia Beach native for more than 20 years, I can tell you that the Kings will prob NOT land there. I remember when the Redskins were trying to move Norfolk/Virginia Beach came up as a location and the people there LOVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVE the Redskins and still wouldn't build a stadium for them. Also, there was an NHL Expansion bid (the Hampton Roads Rhinos) in the area that just didn't draw enough season tickets to even be included in the pool of teams eligible for a franchise and, again, the people there worship the Admirals (ECHL/AHL-current Calder Cup champs), so I highly, highly doubt that the Sacramento Kings would just out of the blue get outrageous support to relocate to the Hampton Roads Area. Another thing, too, if they DID move to VB, I have absolutely no idea where they would play while they built an arena since VB has no sports venues to speak of outside of where their semi-pro soccer team plays and its outdoors. Just my own two since on the topic.

UniJ

Wouldn't they play at the Norfolk Scope in the meantime? I'm thinking if they really were to announce a move next week, which they won't so this is all hypothetical, then they would need the 2012-13 lame duck year to do designs, an alternatives analysis, all the stuff that has to be done before building, plus two years to build, so ready no sooner than autumn 2015. What does the Scope seat for basketball? Probably 15,000?

EDIT: 10,253. If the KeyArena wasn't good enough for this league, a mid-major college gym sure isn't. Tres mal. Oof.

The NBA didn't move the Sonics, the owners did. Because of no new arena and nothing else... except maybe the desire to have a team in their hometown..

I'd say the desire to have a team in their hometown was the #1 reason. No one really thought a bunch of hee-hawin' oil barons were going to stay in Seattle when they had just underwritten the Oklahoma City Hornets and failed to buy that team. Remember that the new arena proposal was for the state to drop half a billion on an arena down in Renton near an expressway interchange. I'm surprised it was even considered good-faith negotiation.

This should probably move to General if there aren't any logo proposals.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I just caught the piece on the rumor on two separate local stations here in sac. Its actually closer to a million population difference in the between the 2 different areas. And that is not including central valley cities, stockton and Modesto. It would be a bad move. I'm a Kings fan. NBA needs to just step in and force the maloofs to sell the team. I am thankful for the time that they saved the Kings and gave us winnin seasons but there were Sacramento Kings before the Maloofs, there should be after them.

The NBA will never force the Maloofs to sell the team. Hence we have the Hornets in NOLA.

rbze43.jpg

23vhpba.jpg11r3n9f.jpg

The university of Louisville has control of the scheduling at the yum center and ricky 15 seconds doesn't want a pro team around. I personally don't care either way. Not sure ky can support a pro team but cincy is close so that might help. UK is pro enough and all I care about anyway.

The NBA will never force the Maloofs to sell the team. Hence we have the Hornets in NOLA.

The NBA might not force the sale, but I think they may delay the process or deny or make it difficult for the Maloofs to get the move approved. They could perceivable do enough to force the Maloofs hand.

1. Seattle
  2. Kansas City
  3. St. Louis
  4. Seattle
  5. Vancouver
  6. Louisville
  7. Seattle
  8. Las Vegas
  9. Seattle
  10. San Jose

Those are the top 10 markets I'd see that should get a team before Virginia Beach (yes, I know Seattle is on there 4 times). Aneheim isn't on there because.... look, two is enough for SoCal. I could see a team in San Diego, but I'd rather it be the Clippers and they don't even have a suitable arena so that's why they're not on the list. But if they did, I'd certainly put them on there.

XXFrXXX.png?1

140khld.jpg
7fwPZnE.png
8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

Because then the Bucks can't move there. :D

Archived