NHL Ice Archive (FrozenFaceoff.net)

billman29

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

TOR+-+Dirty.png

This should come back. Loved this in the old Hawks-Leafs games that would be on ESPN Classic.

Yeah I think alot of the center ice designs today are way too complicated and ad-ridden, neither of which I see going away anytime soon.

As a sidenote I remember being at an arena where they were just putting in new boards and hadn't put up any of the ads yet. You don't realize just how distracting all those ads really are until they're removed. It gave the rink such a cleaner look. Same thing with this. Just so much easier on the eyes.

I think alot of the center ice designs today are way too complicated and ad-ridden

Better on the ice than on the uniforms.

This is personally my favourite for the Ducks, apparently only used in 2005-06, as up until then they mainly used two smaller logos on either side. I think it looks better with just the one big logo as opposed to smaller ones. Or a script.

ANA+-+Dirty.png

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

Saw this on Puck Daddy today, pretty cool

A couple of examples:

Phoenix Circa 1997

PHX+-+Dirty.png

Phoenix seems to be the only one who's used a secondary for their centre ice logo, innit?

The Jets' logo has the misfortune of being perfectly aligned with the red line at centre ice. You can't even see the jet very well.

WPG+-+Dirty.png

eMXEIDC.png

toIYnW8.png

A couple of examples:

Phoenix Circa 1997

PHX+-+Dirty.png

Phoenix seems to be the only one who's used a secondary for their centre ice logo, innit?

The Jets' logo has the misfortune of being perfectly aligned with the red line at centre ice. You can't even see the jet very well.

WPG+-+Dirty.png

The Jets center ice is what I mean by being too busy. There's no need for the logo to take up the entire face-off circle, and you like said you can't even completely make out the Jet.

Why is it so hard to just do something like this?

BUF+-+Dirty.png

You don't need to get crazy with designs. The logo does need to take up the entire face-off circle. Its okay to leave some white. As for the old Coyotes moon center ice logo I love it and wish they would bring it back with modern colors.

I generally like one big logo at center ice. Two logos on each side of the red line only works if the logo has a roughly 2:1 ratio (Flyers, Canadiens), or else there's too much white space and they don't look right. Two tiny Sabres crests looks clunky to me. Having a circle within a circle only makes sense.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

An interesting one they haven't made yet was the dynasty Oilers ice, which had the Northlands logo at center ice, with the dual logos outside the faceoff circle, facing outward.

Speaking of the Oilers, what exactly was Skyreach, anyway? Always sounded cool to me, but I could never figure out what the hell they did and/or made.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I generally like one big logo at center ice. Two logos on each side of the red line only works if the logo has a roughly 2:1 ratio (Flyers, Canadiens), or else there's too much white space and they don't look right. Two tiny Sabres crests looks clunky to me. Having a circle within a circle only makes sense.

In general I agree with that, but I think teams get way too carried away with the logo size.

BOS+-+Dirty.png

I like the Bruins current one better, but to me that's fine as well. You don't need to go crazy with size. Pretty much every team now has this giant center ice logo. And I know where the game is being played. I don't need to be reminded every 10 seconds. That's what it comes off as to me. For some teams it does work, but not everybody.

Didn't that purple moon centre ice logo get removed because players complained that they couldn't see the puck?

As for the Jets the fans were suggesting that the jet should actually point to the True North pole (which it currently doesn't, I think). How would a sideways roundel Jets look on centre ice? Pretty ugly, I suppose.

Yeah, going one big logo or two smaller ones depend on the size of the logo itself...

eMXEIDC.png

toIYnW8.png

On 9/12/2012 at 8:15 PM, pmoehrin said:
On 9/12/2012 at 8:00 PM, Orgo said:
On 9/11/2012 at 2:49 PM, billman29 said:

A couple of examples:

The Jets center ice is what I mean by being too busy. There's no need for the logo to take up the entire face-off circle, and you like said you can't even completely make out the Jet.

Why is it so hard to just do something like this?

You don't need to get crazy with designs. The logo does need to take up the entire face-off circle. Its okay to leave some white. As for the old Coyotes moon center ice logo I love it and wish they would bring it back with modern colors.

This 80s style is definitely my favorite. I know that they don't want things upside-down to the camera anymore but, I like how it was designed for the people in the building. And I am not fond of the logos being split by the red line.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Found one mistake, in 1998 the Canucks had the All Star logo ice their centre ice display, not the orca. But great none the less.

28 teams just have one solid logo at centre ice. I miss the 80's/90s designs when teams would do different things. Some teams put logos outside the circle, others would face 2 logos in various locations. The ONE solid logo at centre ice is just getting boring for me.

Found one mistake, in 1998 the Canucks had the All Star logo ice their centre ice display, not the orca. But great none the less.

28 teams just have one solid logo at centre ice. I miss the 80's/90s designs when teams would do different things. Some teams put logos outside the circle, others would face 2 logos in various locations. The ONE solid logo at centre ice is just getting boring for me.

I'm not sure about them having used an all star ICE during the regular season as I just searched on youtube and they had the Orca as their center ice primary on October 10th 1997, early in the season.

TOR+-+Dirty.png

This should come back. Loved this in the old Hawks-Leafs games that would be on ESPN Classic.

Yes, it should. It was a great, unique design.

ANA94.png

This one's neat. I've been critical of the Ducks' Disney era identity, but all things considered this wasn't that bad.

I'd like to see a team use the centre ice circle as some sort of magnifying glass over a certain part of their logo. That way the circle is completely filled and can zoom in on the most recognizable part of the logo. Eg, the lake and trees in the Wild logo, or the Shark head etc. Could be a different way of utilizing it.

I can't say I'm a fan of the small double sided logos ala the 80's style. Too much white space. The Habs and the Flyers look fine but the rest don't really. Oh and the Canucks logo is probably the worst logo for putting into a circle. It just never looks right. Not sure what they could do to make it better.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

Archived