AHL Lake Erie Monsters Update logo

Burning River

It should at least say 'of Cleveland', in keeping with the meme.

CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.pngHamilton Eagles- 2012 and 2013 Continental Hockey League Champions! CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.png

2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 CHL East Division Champions!

Niagara Dragoons- 2012 United League and CCSLC World Series Champions!
2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 UL Robinson Division Champions!

Seems weird to me that a team playing in such a big and well known city wouldn't embrace that fact by actually using the city name in more than just a cursory way.

I mean, if the AHL came to NYC would anyone expect the team to be called the "Hudson River fillintheblanks" or somesuch?

Seems weird to me that a team playing in such a big and well known city wouldn't embrace that fact by actually using the city name in more than just a cursory way.

That's because their identity is based on a local legend known as the Lake Erie Monster. It's the same reason the New Jersey Devils didn't become the Newark Devils when they moved into the Prudential Center.

Clevejacked.png
On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

bring back the barons

Tried and died. Thrice even.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I don't its terrible, but it doesn't really add anything to the logo either. To be honest, I dont really notice it much. I'm not against it as long as its kind of like a wordmark or a primary logo. It should say 'of Cleveland', I agree, but as long as its not like a complete overhaul, I don't really care. I think the logo is pretty cool and I don't necessarily think that the 'Cleveland' ruins the overall logo.

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

It should at least say 'of Cleveland', in keeping with the meme.

A meme that was never funny, and is still tired.

Sodboy13 said:
As you watch more basketball, you will learn to appreciate the difference between "defense" and "couldn't find the rim with a pair of bloodhounds and a Garmin."

meet the new page, not the same as the old page.

Why don't they just call them the Cleveland Monsters?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bessie_(lake_monster)

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

I don't see why this was necessary to put in the primary logo. You could make a secondary one that includes it, plenty of room in a roundel, after all, and put that on the shoulders. Ideally, you introduce a third jersey with "CLEVELAND" going diagonal down it, an homage to both the Lumberjacks and the Avalanche. That would have been way better than this logo adjustment

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

I don't see why this was necessary to put in the primary logo. You could make a secondary one that includes it, plenty of room in a roundel, after all, and put that on the shoulders. Ideally, you introduce a third jersey with "CLEVELAND" going diagonal down it, an homage to both the Lumberjacks and the Avalanche. That would have been way better than this logo adjustment

Yes. And if they absolutely must, Cleveland Lake Monsters sounds OK. But the fact that using Lake Erie is different in a Golden State Warriors kind of way (which I like), makes it kind of cool. Every other hockey team in Cleveland, whether minor or pro, has failed. The Monsters are actually doing well. Don't break it.

sig.png

Why don't they just call them the Cleveland Monsters?

http://en.wikipedia....e_(lake_monster)

Okay. So they're the Cleveland Monsters in honor of a monster people think is in the lake near Cleveland. Doesn't seem hard to do.

But the fact that using Lake Erie is different in a Golden State Warriors kind of way (which I like), makes it kind of cool. Every other hockey team in Cleveland, whether minor or pro, has failed.

That they're succeeding because they're not named for Cleveland is some egregious post-hoc reasoning, but whatever.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

the fact that using Lake Erie is different in a Golden State Warriors kind of way (which I like), makes it kind of cool. Every other hockey team in Cleveland, whether minor or pro, has failed. The Monsters are actually doing well. Don't break it.

If they are so successful, why make this change?

the fact that using Lake Erie is different in a Golden State Warriors kind of way (which I like), makes it kind of cool. Every other hockey team in Cleveland, whether minor or pro, has failed. The Monsters are actually doing well. Don't break it.

If they are so successful, why make this change?

You can never squeeze enough blood from a turnip.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Archived