CCSLC Annual Pinkwashing (Breast Cancer Awareness) Thread

Chawls

If they did just a cancer month and partnered up with universal cancer backers Stand Up 2 Cancer, I'd be extremely happy!

If you are going to raise awareness, raise it for CANCER period exclamation point. There are also so many diseases out there that claim just as many lives everyday. Where's their month. too?

Precisely my point. Well said.

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For all those asking why various other ailments and foundations aren't highlighted in such a way, quite simple: no pro sports team uses pink as a color. Say they want to raise awareness for leukemia, which is associated with the color orange. How does a team like the Bengals do that? Or the Orioles? Or, by that same token, the team who is playing against them?

For all those asking why various other ailments and foundations aren't highlighted in such a way, quite simple: no pro sports team uses pink as a color. Say they want to raise awareness for leukemia, which is associated with the color orange. How does a team like the Bengals do that? Or the Orioles?

They could donate generously to charities.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

For all those asking why various other ailments and foundations aren't highlighted in such a way, quite simple: no pro sports team uses pink as a color. Say they want to raise awareness for leukemia, which is associated with the color orange. How does a team like the Bengals do that? Or the Orioles?

They could donate generously to charities.

...or wear an orange ribbon patch.

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

But it's far from a so-called sham.

Yeah, it is. The NFL should be giving money, not "raising awareness". They should be giving 100% of proceeds from all the pink crap they sell, not 5%(!).

I have a family member fighting breast cancer right now. I understand the impulse to give them a pass for good intentions, but I find the NFL's actions to be instead cynical and unconscionable.

But it's far from a so-called sham.

Yeah, it is. The NFL should be giving money, not "raising awareness". They should be giving 100% of proceeds from all the pink crap they sell, not 5%(!).

I have a family member fighting breast cancer right now. I understand the impulse to give them a pass for good intentions, but I find the NFL's actions to be instead cynical and unconscionable.

I agree. "Raising awareness" is someone patting themselves on the back, making themselves feel better, while accomplishing nothing.

I think everyone is aware of breast cancer and its effects. Can't raise awareness when everyone is already aware.

Of course, they're totally silent on proposals to repeal Obamacare, which guarantees all women free breast cancer screenings...

As they should be. Any league showing favoritism towards any particular political view is only asking for trouble. While it's sad that the topic of healthcare has become more about who's right rather than who's healthy, that's unfortunately the cyclical nature of politics in America. :unclesam:

http://thinkbeforeyoupink.org/ is an interesting site that's mission statement is to generate awareness that the pink phenomena is not the teary-eyed generosity fest it's made out to be.

THANK YOU!

Seriously what percentage of the money they make actually goes to cancer research? More importantly, why don't we have an organization dedicated to finding the cause of cancer and why it's exploding off the charts in the western world? There could not be a more appropriate title for this thread than "Pinkwashing" as the whole thing has become like a religion... not unlike the whole Global Warming fiasco. But thats for another thread.

• 2 weeks later...

I hate this! If you're going to do this, do it for one game all out! Then be done with it!

precisely....I wouldn't be surprised if there is some serious regret as to how out of control things have become...not only is the whole message lost with pink being lazily thrown about, there's a dramatic drop off/pink fatigue in the amount of on field accessories as the month end nears...clearly everyone involved has had enough.

the only way I can think that the nfl can get themselves out of this mess is to rededicate the month or even just a week to medical research related to all deadly diseases and under that guise scale back the amount of colorization...limit it to wristbands or something. I honestly don't see things staying the way they are beyond next season.

It seems to me that it's becoming the "cool thing" to hate on this.

Totally.

I was at the new Nike store that just opened up here in DC today and my friend came to me asking "should i get the black BCA socks or the white ones?" and I'm like... just go with Elites or something this is too much for me.

concepts: washington football (2017) ... nfl (2013) ... yikes

potd 10/20/12

It seems to me that it's becoming the "cool thing" to hate on this.

Totally.

I was at the new Nike store that just opened up here in DC today and my friend came to me asking "should i get the black BCA socks or the white ones?" and I'm like... just go with Elites or something this is too much for me.

It overwhelmed you? :lol:

Archived