CCSLC Annual Pinkwashing (Breast Cancer Awareness) Thread

Chawls

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Got my pink socks, gloves, and wristbands ready for friday.

I understand people don't like it. But I will admit I have bought alot of my pink stuff because it look's cool, although alot of the proceeds go to Breast Cancer awareness, and players auction off there gear for Breast Cancer. It also gets people talking about Breast Cancer and can gain a persons interest of researching this horrible cancer. There could be other ways, but it's not always about looks rather awareness.

Posted this in the other thread, but felt it needed a home here since I didn't see it last year (I don't think). Pink full sleeves.

O5H1z.png

He will probably get fined for this....that's an Under Armour shirt

yes we are all now aware of deadly diseases now that you've become a consumer of pink goods. thanks for making us aware because nothing helps more than bringing awareness.

Raising "Awareness" is a complete Sham. It has done Nothing but turned the concept of chairty into Shameless act self promotion and Financial Enrichment for a Corrupt Organization and its Corporate Sponsors that take the extreme lazy route to gin up some feelgood PR and pretend that they are behind some sort of charitable cause.

If individuals truly want to get off their assess and support a Cause, they will actually take a few minutes to do some homework and Donate time or money to organizations that Directly Fund Research.

Buying a pink blender or wearing an article of pink clothing does nothing but put money in the pockets. This pink-washing is the epitome of marketing completely run amok and completely corrupted the concept of charity.

Remember Awareness does nothing to help any charitable causes. Only Direct Donations to Research and Action are worth our time, resources and efforts.

tumblr_lk8evdSSas1qjtfpzo1_400.jpg

Got any more conspiracy theories, guest23?

If you are going to state it's a sham, back it up with actual evidence. Show us the numbers that it doesn't work. I'm not saying it works or doesn't work, I don't have any proof otherwise. But I have lost a close friend to breast cancer and if you're going to call the NFL's attempt to raise awareness as a sham, I'd hope you wouldn't post such a thing without absolute proof that it is a so-called "sham". Please back it up.

I'm definitely pro-boob, but there are probably dozens of better ways of spreading awareness than this... what would be so damn wrong with a modest pink ribbon on the back of the helmets?

Vince Lombardi was very ahead of his time on his share of social issues, but it's hard to imagine him trotting on to the field in a pink fedora, no matter how good the cause.

But it's far from a so-called sham.

well unfortunately raising awareness is a sham as barely any money donated in the name of awareness actually goes to fighting said causes and next to nothing from purchased products goes directly to causes...sadly most "awareness" money stays within the companies that are in the "awareness" business which ends up funding salaries and next year's marketing campaign.

let's all be honest here...if you aren't "aware" of the current spate of deadly diseases that destroy lives and families on an enormous scale you must be living under a freaking rock...of the top of my head I can think of over a half-dozen close friends and family members that have been affected by some form of cancer...and that's not even including males that may have been affected.

So bottom line is that we need to move beyond the waste of money and time awareness campaigns have brought about. Now is the time to move forward with our efforts and focus our thoughts and efforts on direct support and research which is most definitely a noble and worthy social effort (aka not a sham) .

Its complete over-kill in the NFL.

Teams should be allowed to do it for one home game. Raise all the money and awareness you want, with that one game at your home stadium. Let your team wear all the pink wristguards and shoes and underroos it wants for that game.

Doing it for the ENTIRE MONTH OF OCTOBER? Ridiculous, no matter the noble cause.

I hate how corporations can copyright phrases or words. Its so stupid. My 2 shiny pennies on the subject...wearing pink does nothing. I'm fine with a pink ribbon on the Jersey or helmet but the pink all over is overkill. It is a money grab still. On the surface, it is a great idea to raise awareness. However I feel the money isn't necessarily being used for more research or...the cure. Uh oh, here come the lawsuits against me!

My friend, who couldn't give less of a :censored: about sports, had a pretty good observation about the pinkouts going on.

"We're all 'aware' of breast cancer. There's no need to keep on donating to charities like Komen to 'raise awareness'. There's no need to deck football teams out in pink or to wear a pink ribbon throughout October. We need to start with the actual research, and stop with 'awareness' campaigns."

spacer.png

My friend, who couldn't give less of a :censored: about sports, had a pretty good observation about the pinkouts going on.

"We're all 'aware' of breast cancer. There's no need to keep on donating to charities like Komen to 'raise awareness'. There's no need to deck football teams out in pink or to wear a pink ribbon throughout October. We need to start with the actual research, and stop with 'awareness' campaigns."

amen

Could you imagine the backlash if Major League Baseball did this throughout the month of October?

This is the one of the few things baseball does better than the NFL. Since it has now become manditory that all pro sports teams wear pink one day of out the year, they get the pink out fo their system one day out of the year on Mother's day. Could you imagine how silly it would be if in Game 7 of the World Series, players were swinging for glory with a pink bat? :wacko:

6uXNWAo.png

I'm seriously considering writing a letter to the NFL regarding their BCA campaign. If you're acknowledging breast cancer, why not acknowledge prostate cancer as well? It's one of the most common forms of cancer amongst your demograhic of fans. How many men know what month PCA is? What about the designated color? I BET it's less than those who know about BCA.

Also (and I ranted about this on twitter), what happens when October ends; does the threat of breast cancer just disappear?

No.

That's another reason I'm against the BCA campaign. It gives the impression that breast cancer is a seasonal cancer that can be warded off with pink clothing. It's fucκing absurd. You wanna wear a pink ribbon, as BCA was originally intended to be displayed? Fine. I have no problem with that. But the pink gear? It only trivializes the disease and that's a damn shame.

My point to the NFL? Either treat PCA with the same regard as you do for BCA, tone down the campaign for BCA (and shine light on PCA) or find a more effective way to support BCA altogether.

Am I making sense to anyone or am I just ranting?

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

I don't mind the pink by I can see why a lot of you get annoyed.

What about the guys that do it in tribute or support of a loved one like Larry fitz for his mother who he lost to the disease?

In high school a lot of my teachers were upset that our coach didn't wanna let us wear pink. They were offended.

My problem with this, and I was thinking about it yesterday actually, is like some have said here. With this being based around Susan G. Kommen For the Cure, it seems more like corporate pandering than actual awareness or help. It's like they are trying to drill in people's minds that breast cancer is the only cancer, and for that matter disease. If they did just a cancer month and partnered up with universal cancer backers Stand Up 2 Cancer, I'd be extremely happy! I've lost loved ones to many forms of cancer, and yes my Granny had breast cancer too, but they don't get a full month of coverage like this. If you are going to raise awareness, raise it for CANCER period exclamation point. There are also so many diseases out there that claim just as many lives everyday. Where's their month. too?

packchampionslfroh.png

Archived