2012-13 NBA Season Thread

Cujo

• Replies 899
  • Created
  • Last Reply
"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Jeez. Look out for Denver come playoff time.

Meh. Not having a superstar will do them in, just like the last two years. They're also a lot like the Jazz: always looking like world-beaters at home when they have a natural advantage (altitude), but a mediocre road team.

What's Utah's natural advantage? Watered down beer?

Correct me if I am incorrect, but are not the Mavericks a bad team.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Nice win for the Clippers today, easily beating the Knicks in the Garden. Just glad to see everyone back and healthy.

And? He's a solid and well-respected veteran who deserves to finish his career on a contender.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Nice win for the Clippers today, easily beating the Knicks in the Garden. Just glad to see everyone back and healthy.

And? He's a solid and well-respected veteran who deserves to finish his career on a contender.

That's not the point. What a player feels like he deserves and what a player should get should be mutually exclusive.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

I have to agree with Lights Out on this one. Marion is at the end of his career and I have no problem with him saying he won't play for anyone who isn't a contender. Plus, there's not much he can provide to a struggling/bad team .

To me, this is no different than Boldin saying he'll retire if he leaves Baltimore.

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

Yeah. Once a player gets to a certain age and a certain level of accomplishments, whether they're a superstar or a really good complementary piece, I don't really see a problem with them wanting to finish out their career on a contender.

The Clippers could really use Marion, for example - I don't think he should be begrudged for wanting to go for at least one last ring on a contender like LAC who could use his talents instead of finishing his career in obscurity on a lottery team.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

I have to agree with lights out on this one. Marion is at the end of his career and I have no problem with him saying he won't play for anyone who isn't a contender. Plus, there's not much he can provide to a struggling/bad team .

To me, this is no different than Boldin saying he'll retire if he leaves Baltimore.

I'm not arguing what a player feels like they deserve. Players shouldn't have this much hold on free agency or trade destinations. I understand that what players want is paramount, but the level of reeking unprofessionalism in saying "I'm only playing where I want to play, and if you don't like it, you can go to hell" is a significant problem.

twitter

He's in his fourteenth season. If he doesn't want to end his year/career on a bad team for nothing more than a general manager's long-term bookkeeping, it's hard to blame him.

Players shouldn't have this much hold on free agency

erm, that's kind of what free agency is. If management has more control of free agency, it is then perhaps not free agency.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

He's in his fourteenth season. If he doesn't want to end his year/career on a bad team for nothing more than a general manager's long-term bookkeeping, it's hard to blame him.

Players shouldn't have this much hold on free agency

erm, that's kind of what free agency is. If management has more control of free agency, it is then perhaps not free agency.

Is it ok for a veteran player to want to play for a winner? Why not.

Is it ok for players to choose where they go in free agency? Of course.

Is it ok for all players ever to have the same 4-5 teams in their top 3 "Destinations to Play" list? No.

I'm not pinpointing Marion, I'm just saying it irritates me to read about players totally pissing on their organizations during trades and staying home. Not everybody can go play for the Heat, Lakers, and Celtics.

twitter

If you can't reckon with the fact that basketball players by the nature of the game of basketball don't see themselves as mere cogs in machines, perhaps the NBA is not for you?

You don't really want to get me started on how coddled and pampered and entitled the NBA lets the players become.

As an employee of a team, I see and experience much more than the media would ever (or is allowed to) report and than the league would actually admit about all these 'fringe benefits' these players get. I really don't have any sympathy for any player making millions of dollars whining about where they might wind up.

Actually, I'd love to get you started. Spill, spill.

The thing is, the way the sport is constructed doesn't lend itself to players being fungible. Obviously, a great deal of players are fungible, but it just doesn't seem to fit with the spirit of the game to expect a pretty good player to be like "okay, whatever" and accept his fate with phlegmatic spirit, especially when a guy isn't exactly on the periphery of the league. Players roughly comparable to a Shawn Marion sort of guy across other sports still play much smaller roles in respective percentages of game played than Shawn Marion does, so unless the NBA starts rolling substitutions like Grinnell, separating offense from defense, and adding a few more positions to a larger court, then guys are occasionally going to be bitches about their lot in life. It's structural more than cultural.

EDIT: disregard this entire post if Marion is like the 9th man on the Mavericks now, in which case maybe he ought to shut up after all; I'm pretty much only good for like one NBA game a week these days

Shawn Marion was like Akuma in Street Fighter for a couple years. He was this rare talent that looked really cool and could beat you with his special move in 5 seconds.

Then you got to play as Akuma in a bunch of follow-up SF games and the thrill was gone. Yeah, he was good, but he didn't really do anything Ken or Ryu couldn't do with just a bit more hustle.

Now no one likes Akuma. Or Shawn Marion.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

It's funny, because I was just reading some articles about Bruce Lee...knew all about his origin in San Francisco, but had no idea of the roots he had in Seattle, or that he was buried there. Then the guy from Seattle mentions something about martial-arts video game character. (Speaking of which, fun fact: Johnny Cage from Mortal Kombat was actually modeled after, and was originally supposed to be, Jean-Claude Van Damme.)

Not that any of this adds one useful iota to this discussion or anything, though, just figured I'd share.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Archived