Fast Company Rebrands the NFL

rmackman

Interesting article. Not sure I agree with their ideas, but worth a look:

http://www.fastcodesign.com/1671229/rebranding-every-team-in-the-nfl#1

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

This looks like someone who doesn't know much about sports branding designing sports logos. They all look far too corporate and bland for sports teams. There are some neat ideas, but none I'd consider better than the originals.

The Colts is the best of the bunch.

This. I like the Niners and Dolphins, and the Saints one would've been great following Super Bowl 44, but even then, it's just a proverbial blind squirrel finding a few nuts.

The Bills one would make a good 2nd logo. The Bills need a forward-facing or central facing logo to go with their side-to-side charging buffalo. Not sure that makes sense. Basically I think the Bills need a 2nd logo which does not have the clear lateral focus of the charging buffalo, something like the AFL's Buffalo Destroyer logo with the head coming at the viewer. The one in this concept is pretty good, making use of the skull.

They're all far too abstract, and someone should tell them that not every logo needs a football in it (the few that don't have it are the better ones).

The Viking with the football in the helmet is clever, but not good.

The only decent one is the Saints one, which would be great for a championship logo, but little else

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

The 49ers one is the only thing that could be considered even remotely acceptable among these. For the most part, they're all huge downgrades and rely too much on trying to incorporate a football into the design (just because the NBA prefers basketballs in their logos doesn't mean it's a good practice). A few could be decent corporate identities, but for the most part they're too effeminate for football and not nearly strong enough to last as primary identities.

I'd have to agree with a previous poster and say that many of these logos are too corporate looking. However, that doesn't mean they're all bad or shouldn't be used in any capacity. Maybe these logos aren't the best to put on the field or on merchandise, but then again a lot of existing NFL logos aren't the best to use on things like team stationery or golf shirts. Not all of them, but many of the concepts could be put to good use by those teams' respective front offices.

I do have to give them credit though. The Texans logo might be an improvement over the Texans' real logo. Also, the Vikings and Jets concepts would make decent secondary/alternative logos. The Browns logo might make for a good t-shirt. I'd be interested to see them attempt to rebrand some of the other teams.

These logos are too minimalist - almost as if someone look Saul Bass logos and vectorized them, straightening out the kinks along the way.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

Archived