My stab at the Fleur de Pelican

mcrosby

I started sketching up a Fleur de Lis styled Pelican soon after the announced name change. Firefly beat me to the punch, but has said to go ahead and post away anyways.

We both made some of the same stylistic choices, but are very different as well. I did not include a basketball, and chose to represent the feet very differently as well. I'm not too keen on the red, blue, yellow color combo that has been rumored, so I stuck with colors that really say NOLA to me.

Picture3-4_zps5ec80597.png

I got some inspiration from Tulane's Pelican logo as well.

I'll have an updated logo very soon, until then: A jersey.

I haven't ever made a basketball jersey concept before, so we'll see how this is received. I've used parts of the NOLA All-Star logo as the piping on the jersey and recolored the current NOLA logo for the waist. I wanted to go for simplicity but also have a touch of something new.

The number has a small, monochrome fleur de pelican in it, a la soccer numbers.

Thanks to Fraser Davidson for the template.

NOLA_zps4c663823.png

damn, this is really nice man. the uniform is fantastic too. the Pelican is almost spot on but theres some rendering issues in the face/head area. you have the wings, bill, feet, and tail all filled with positive space/shapes, but the most important part (head/face) is negative space and it dosent read quite as it should. i would fill in that area with white and make the eye negative (blue). this will especially work best at small sizes, and help complete the fluer de li shape

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

I've got a few updates here:

I tried to fix the beak some, and also added the NOLA above. This is just another option, and the fleur de bird on its own is still the main mark.

The wings are the biggest change here. I didn't really like what I had before, and I'm still unsure about this update.

Picture4-7_zpse982be02.png

Archived