Just in from my sources...

Puckguy14

Guys,

It won't be announced until around the NHL awards / entry draft week, but the San Jose Sharks will go with a brand new look starting next season.  Management has been overhauling everything this year and looks like they want their own look.  I'm not sure if they are going to keep their "traditional" Deep Pacific Teal as well.  I'm planning to get possibly new logos likely soon.  My source works in public relations and is head of fan development with the San Jose Sharks along with its parent company, Silicon Valley Sports & Entertainmen. SVS&E also operates HP Pavilion @ SJ, Siebel Classic Golf Tournament, Siebel Open Tennis Tournament, and the San Jose Earthquakes.  Here's the email:

------------------------------------------------------------

Subj: Sharks exclusive information!

Date: 3/31/2003 11:52:19 AM Pacific Standard Time

To: puckguy14@aol.com

Erik,

Hey there, its ***** with the San Jose Sharks.  When are you going to do Shark for a Day?  Anyhow, save up for next season, we got the jersey already for you.  

What I'm telling you in very secret info and you can start up the rumors now, but don't quote me.  Anyways, management wants a clean start, and they are going to have a new logo, new uniforms, and maybe new colors next season.  This is a suprise to all of us who love the current logos, but they want everything new.  If I find some logos or jersey designs, I'll send them your way.  

In the meantime, thanks for being a dedicated fan and we'll talk about getting you media credentials next season.

San Jose Sharks

2004 San Jose Sharks 7th Man Fan of the Year

San Jose Gold Miners - 4x Lombardi Cup Champions

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What a travesty it will be to chuck that logo away. The colors are fantastic too (only team to make Black and Teal work, in my book)

I'm cringing at the thought of what management is coming up with.

A trainwreck, to be sure.

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

Well at this rate, who knows but I bet it will be pretty bad.  Why change though after they just changd in 1998-99 with Bods 39's Nike jerseys.  But hey if they're going to destroy this cup contender, might as go all the way including the uniforms.

Roger, no it isn't.  He said that the official unveil won't happen until the end of the Stanley Cup finals when the NHL awards are handed out and when the draft is on, the uniforms will be up for display.  The timing for this is suspicious, but he told me they did make the deadline for a logo change.

I'm gonna go with SHB on this one and call Puckguy's bluff.

I sure hope he's bluffing. Otherwise this signals an end of an era (probably moreso for me personally), because I see the San Jose design as one of the first, more progressive "modern" logos in pro sports.

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

Hey puckguy, when someone says "DON'T QUOTE ME" it means don't use my name anywhere publicly about this, so posting his name, e-mail address and the entire message is a really bad idea. We all appreciate the 'proof' but you might never get any inside information again if you burn him now... and he could be fired if it gets out that he was the leak (you never know). I'm sure you're not a journalist (who 'never' reveal sources), but I'd recommend editing your post right away. If anything, it might hurt your chances of getting those media credentials he mentioned.

Of course, if it's all an April Fool's Day joke then it doesn't matter...

I love leaking ideas!  This is no joke guys.  Aparantly, its an updated look.  I would guess its an update ala the 49ers, nothing drastic, but ovious.  Hopefully I'll get some of the looks soon.

As for putting his email up, well one I was trying to get this up ASAP and I copied the entire email.  So I'll edit it out.  Guys, this shouldn't be TOO bad.

got my original post fixed.  sorry guys, i shouldve known.  nate 15 thanks for catching the guy's name.

I was a huge fan of the original Sharks' uniforms, logo and all, and do not like the uniforms they are using now (with the exception of the logo).  I am aghast that they are thinking of abandoning it ("it" being the logo - they can try again with the uni design as far as I am concerned) as I think it's one of the 5 best post-1967 logos ever produced.  I am hoping against hope that this thread was misplaced and should have been posted within my April Fools contest thread.

LEAVE THE SHARK ALONE!!!!

This just in!  I got the typeface and alternate logo concepts.  They are ok, but I don't like em.  Here's the email and the attachments that I uploaded.

NOTE: I put the wrong link up, these are right.

Subj: Sharks new logos

Date: 4/1/2003 9:14:32 AM Pacific Standard Time

To: puckguy14@aol.com

File: sharkslogos.zip (10235 bytes) DL Time (49333 bps): < 1 minute

Sent from the Internet (Details)

Erik,

Here are the logos I promised.  I redrew them because the ones I scanned in were so small that they did come out well.  The alternate logo just has a shadow tweak along with an extra teal wave.  There are two different shades of teal, original and deep pacific teal.  The typeface still has the "teeth" although less prominent.  Again, these are good reproductions, and are pending league approval.  Like the Avalanche in 1995, the league can alter these at the last minute.  Let me know what you think! I'll see if I can find a uniform concept.  It looks sort of like Anaheim's old alternate.

San Jose Sharks

__Here is the typeface:

sjtypeface0304.gif

It looks like they used the same font from their numbers, only in the serif version of the font.  Blah!

Here's the alternate logo:

sjalternate0304.gif

this one looks better than the typeface, but still, the original is better.

Archived