2013 NFL Off-Season Thread

Island_Style

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

...but the Illini basically play on a high school field.

Really? When I lived around there Illinois field was pretty nice. Kinda a smaller minor league style stadium but it was decent. I guess that was 10 years ago.

Can't the friggin Gophers just throw down bases on a soccer field or in a parking lot on campus? Nobody wants them. Can't the state build the tiny, high school-quality baseball stadium the Gophers deserve? Nobody give a flying :censored: about BigTen baseball. I don't know if Minnesota's team is better or more important than Illinois', but the Illini basically play on a high school field. Why would UM want the baseball team there? It's "where the pros play", but I doubt Minnesota will have recruits flocking in to play in front of 1,000 people in a cavernous football stadium. It's a little dumb to see that the football stadium will be in some ways compromised because the Vikings' parents told them they have to let their little brother tag along.

If the baseball team needed a place to play and didn't mind playing in converted football stadiums, why didn't they just make TCF baseball-ready? Furthemore, if the state is going to dictate that Gophers' baseball has to be a part of the stadium deal, why didn't they do that to the Twins, who got an actual baseball stadium?

The Gophers baseball team needs a dome because the college baseball season starts in February, which puts northern schools at a distinct disadvantage (which is why you rarely see teams from anywhere north of Wichita in the CWS). It's not about "playing where the pros play" so much as it's about being able to play in a controlled climate that's actually suitable for baseball in the late winter and early spring months, which they wouldn't have if they shared Target Field with the Twins.

To that, I say good on the Minnesota legislature for forcing a pro team using public funds to accommodate a public university team. The UWM baseball program is the only D1 program in Wisconsin and plays in a crappy county park that, if not for the scoreboard, wouldn't even be as nice as most high school fields; all because the Brewers are complete a~holes about the Panthers playing more than one game a year at Miller Park.

There was no picture of the soccer setup that the Wilfs are supposedly going after for the MLS.

Doesn't MLS have a rule against indoor pitches? My best guess is that the MLS ship sailed once they decided the stadium wouldn't have a retractable roof.

Really? When I lived around there Illinois field was pretty nice. Kinda a smaller minor league style stadium but it was decent. I guess that was 10 years ago.

They play at the same place. Definitely nicer than a high school field, but nothing special. But, yeah, it's Big Ten baseball. Nobody really cares about it and there's gonna be rainouts/it'll be too cold to play sometimes everywhere.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

There was no picture of the soccer setup that the Wilfs are supposedly going after for the MLS.

during the unveiling there was along with basketball and even a hockey set up

Here's the baseball setup

gophers_zps8f486eee.png

there will not be any cut out slide pads from what I recall about the baseball setup

Just say NO to gray facemasks.

They play at the same place. Definitely nicer than a high school field, but nothing special. But, yeah, it's Big Ten baseball. Nobody really cares about it and there's gonna be rainouts/it'll be too cold to play sometimes everywhere.

I should say that I never actually went to a game, but the park looked "high school" to me in that there were only actual seats between the dugouts. The rest of the area beyond the field was sloped lawn seating. Sure, it's not aluminum risers like at my high school, but I always assumed colleges which gave a damn about their baseball programs would have parks that weren't 90% lawn seating.

As for the Gophers, I didn't realize the baseball season started in February. Knowing that, it's not hard to see why they want a dome. And it's a good use of resources for the state to put the Gophers in the new Vikings' stadium instead of building them their own smaller dome.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

of course the state is paying for a saints ballpark in st paul which "could have had a dome" and served the purpose for winter baseball in the twin cities metro area, but that is another discussion

Just say NO to gray facemasks.

during the unveiling there was along with basketball and even a hockey set up

Here's the baseball setup

gophers_zps8f486eee.png

there will not be any cut out slide pads from what I recall about the baseball setup

d0514vik4.jpg

Gee, I wonder where the dugouts are? I hope they extend the backstop netting to protect that scoreboard.

I saw, I came, I left.

Few bits of Cowboys news.

On-field: RT Doug Free takes a massive paycut. He was scheduled to make $8M in 2013 and $7M in 2014, but will now make $3.5M each of the remaining two years. Last season, he gave up seven sacks and committed 13 penalties.

DT Anthony Hargrove was signed.

Off-field: The team is looking at locations for a new practice facility. Irving, Arlington, and Frisco are interested.

And the Cowboys will have a new turf next season.

Archived