The 2013 NHL Season Thread

charger77

Because that could result in some terrible teams making the playoffs and decent teams missing. Also, it's bad for pretty good teams in divisions with dynastic teams. Ask Hawerchuk or the Stastnys.

To wit, the previous format once yielded:

A 63 point LA Kings team that actually beat a 111 point Oilers team in a best-of-5 series

A 21-49 Maple Leafs team reaching the playoffs

The 27-39 Minnesota North Stars reaching the Stanley Cup Finals

We'll mock the 2012 Kings all we want, but 40-42 pales in comparison to what happened during the '80s and early '90s.

I've watched parts of that series on youtube and it was ridiculous. Game 1 was 10-8 and game 4 had Edmonton blowing a 5-0 third period lead.

edit: found a good video of game 4

It was Game 3, by the way. The funny thing was that in that "Miracle on Manchester" game, the Oilers still would have escaped blowing a five goal lead and winning had Gretzky cleared the puck with less than ten seconds left in regulation. Jim Fox blocks his attempt and eventually, some rookie called Steve Boziek tied the game, and the Kings eventually won in OT (provided that Mark Messier blew an empty net chance earlier in OT).

The fact that the Kings won the odd games, two of the three games at Northlands, and against young Gretzky's Oilers, despite having a losing record and the fewest points of any of the playoff teams that postseason, is stupendously remarkable.

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting bit from that video: The Oilers and Kings flew to Edmonton for game 5 on the same plane.

The video you found is from the "Kings Stories" series, basically nutshell summarizations and stories of the greatest Kings moments, from the Kings' point of view. Got my DVD copy of that in late 2005.

Needless to say they never discuss the Gretzky-Gilmour high stick controversy, the Kings losing to the Oilers in the playoffs the years immediately after getting Gretzky, and the Bruce McNall bankruptcy.

And yeah, Edmonton was in the back of the plane, the refs sandwiched in the middle, and the Kings boarded in front.

second-best points-wise (212).

Just seeing the figure "212 points" made me do this weird laugh/snort/stifled-cough combination. Those were different times. And the poets studied rows of verse, and all the ladies rolled their eyes.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I really don't get the realignment as well.

How about three conferences of 10 teams each? the top 5 in each conference makes the playoffs and the next highest team in points gets in as the wildcard.

DON'T TALK TO ME ABOUT HOCKEY

What the H

That's just a :censored:ing weird commercial. OIGDF

I really don't get the realignment as well.

How about three conferences of 10 teams each? the top 5 in each conference makes the playoffs and the next highest team in points gets in as the wildcard.

*says relatively simple realignment makes no sense*

*suggests realigning to something that really makes no :censored:ing sense*

What? three conferences, half the teams get in, plus one wildcard to make it 16. It gives each team the same chance to make it into the playoffs

DON'T TALK TO ME ABOUT HOCKEY

This probably has been discussed, but was there ambition to keep the league at three divisions per conference or was their hope of trying to "mix things up" to get fans back from the lockout. Seems relatively easy to put Nashville in the Southeast, Winnipeg in the Northwest and Minnesota in the Central. I'm sure that's been brought up a thousand times, though.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

Ducks get David Steckel from the Leafs for minor leaguer and OC native Ryan Lasch and a 2014 7th rounder.

With Bonino out for a bit, the Ducks needed another center (and so they can stop dicking around with Bobby Ryan). Kind of disappoint Lasch never got up with the big club, since he's from the next town over from me, but good luck in Toronto.

Leafs fans, what am I getting in Steckel?

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

What? three conferences, half the teams get in, plus one wildcard to make it 16. It gives each team the same chance to make it into the playoffs

What happens after you win your conference? They're will be 3 conference champs... do we have a threeway Stanley Cup Finals?

Relatively easy except Detroit and Columbus wanted out of the west so much they weren't going to let the NHL hear the end of it until they got their way.

Tough titties yo. At least that's ho it should have been in a 1 team 1 vote league.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I have a question for those of you who are well-versed in NHL stuff... (Admiral, Ice_Cap, Still Mighty, et al)

Why is it that there are so few games on Fridays? Is it due to the 48 game schedule this season? Or has it always been this way? (I can't remember if it was like this before I walked away in 2005) .Does it have something to do with the NBA or something? Is it because damn near everyone plays on Saturday and Sunday? I'm just curious because Friday seems like a night where there should be more games.

BB52Big.jpg

Archived