The 2013 NHL Season Thread

charger77

Meanwhile, I'm content to keep huffing this EcstatoEuphoroFun (with Hinder-90).

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I watched the third period of Predators-Oilers and holy toledo Sergei Kostitsyn is worthless and dumb. Nashville on the power play, 2 on 2 in the neutral zone, Kostitsyn loses a puck battle, sheepishly trudges I mean trudges to the bench thereafter, Sam Gagner and Lennart Petrell go right over the blue line and score shorthanded. It was probably one of the stupidest plays I've seen all year. Your team isn't going to be any good when you're relying on Sergei Kostitsyn to be one of your skill players

lol 0:08 just wipes his brow, "welp I've done my part." You sure have, Sergei. You sure have.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Kostitsyn just made Alex Radulov look like the Russian King of Hustle.

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

So, Pierre McGuire was kinda ranting and raving for a coaches challenge to be enacted during the upcoming General Manager's meetings, using a Crosby high-stick and Bergeron faceoff penalty to make his point.

I'm not sure on what planet that makes any sense. Most penalties (if not all, to some degree) are judgement decisions. What is a hook to one referee isn't a hook to another, etc. With that in mind, how in the world can you challenge judgement decisions? It's akin to wanting to review balls-and-strikes in baseball; some things just cannot be legitimately challenged.

spacer.png

AHL version of the Blackhawks/Canucks rivalry: IceHogs vs. Wolves

TL;DR: Jeremy Morin acted a fool

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

So, Pierre McGuire was kinda ranting and raving for a coaches challenge to be enacted during the upcoming General Manager's meetings, using a Crosby high-stick and Bergeron faceoff penalty to make his point.

I'm not sure on what planet that makes any sense. Most penalties (if not all, to some degree) are judgement decisions. What is a hook to one referee isn't a hook to another, etc. With that in mind, how in the world can you challenge judgement decisions? It's akin to wanting to review balls-and-strikes in baseball; some things just cannot be legitimately challenged.

It could work if they're very specific and reasonable about what it could be used for. Maybe whether a puck went off of a player or not to determine faceoff position, for example. Even in baseball, they use instant replay to see if a home run is fair or foul (right?).

I watched the third period of Predators-Oilers and holy toledo Sergei Kostitsyn is worthless and dumb. Nashville on the power play, 2 on 2 in the neutral zone, Kostitsyn loses a puck battle, sheepishly trudges I mean trudges to the bench thereafter, Sam Gagner and Lennart Petrell go right over the blue line and score shorthanded. It was probably one of the stupidest plays I've seen all year. Your team isn't going to be any good when you're relying on Sergei Kostitsyn to be one of your skill players

lol 0:08 just wipes his brow, "welp I've done my part." You sure have, Sergei. You sure have.

What a candyass.

Kostitisyn called Columbus the "gloomiest city" he'd ever been to. I don't disagree that Columbus is gloomy, but he was playing in Siberia at the time he said it and I know for a fact that he's been to Detroit, Michigan.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Even there, you're talking about events that might happen a number of times during a game, but could happen at any random time. A head coach probably won't issue a challenge on something like that in the first period of a game, but there's no guarantee they will have something to challenge later on, and foregoing the initial challenge could only back-fire, too.

About the only thing I can think of where a challenge would make sense is to prevent off-sides goals like Briere's in the playoffs last year or Duchene's earlier this year. That's a clearly defined rule, isn't likely to re-occur multiple times in a game, and can be very easily determined as to whether the player entered the zone legally or not. I really have a hard time thinking of any other situations that a challenge is likely to be very useful for. And, furthermore, is there only one challenge per game (like timeouts), or are there multiple challenges? If there is only one, does a correct challenge beget a second challenge?

spacer.png

AHL version of the Blackhawks/Canucks rivalry: IceHogs vs. Wolves

TL;DR: Jeremy Morin acted a fool

Well, Morin's been down too long. He's got the Rockford on him now, and there's nothing you can do to wash that away.

Well, Morin's been down too long. He's got the Rockford on him now, and there's nothing you can do to wash that away.

I'm getting really concerned with the Rockford situation. I don't know if it's a Rockford problem or an AHL problem, but this is happening too much, and it's not what the Blackhawks are built to do. Bowman needs to step in and get these guys to knock it off. I know the AHL loves its fighting, but let the rest of the league love its fighting and make sure the Rockford team (dare not speak its name) is only committed to developing prospects. That one of our best prospects started this whole mess is especially troubling.

lol at Jim Vandermeer on the Wolves. I guess the day has somehow finally come where Vandermeer is not enough of a dickbag to make Vancouver's roster, and must settle for being a reserve dickbag, ready at all times to get the call up and again be the dickbag he--and all of us--know he can be.

I'm getting really concerned with the Rockford situation. I don't know if it's a Rockford problem or an AHL problem, but this is happening too much, and it's not what the Blackhawks are built to do. Bowman needs to step in and get these guys to knock it off. I know the AHL loves its fighting, but let the rest of the league love its fighting and make sure the Rockford team (dare not speak its name) is only committed to developing prospects. That one of our best prospects started this whole mess is especially troubling.

lol at Jim Vandermeer on the Wolves. I guess the day has somehow finally come where Vandermeer is not enough of a dickbag to make Vancouver's roster, and must settle for being a reserve dickbag, ready at all times to get the call up and again be the dickbag he--and all of us--know he can be.

Rockford is your league leader in penalty minutes, even outpacing everyone in the punch-em-up-and-get-on-the-bus Eastern Conference. The goonery is even more stark when compared to the teams the FreezerPigs actually play. They have 475 more PIM than the 2nd-biggest offender in the division, Grand Rapids. Of course, the Griffins' PIM total spiked once they got in an absurdist line/bench brawl with Hey Guess Who. We're several years into the affiliation and Rockford is still playing UHL garbage, for reasons I can't fathom. Well, attendance is up about 9% this year.

Could the Blackhawks take the franchise and move it to the more-convenient, less-destitute Sears Centre? Or has the earth been fairly well-salted there by the Hounds and Express?

Who actually runs that team, really? I mean, who are the decision makers? Who own the Chiefs? I know technically the team is owned by the MetroCentre, which means it's owned by the city/county, but who's in charge here and saying "yeah, don't bother playing finesse hockey so as to crack the lineup of a finesse team, let's just empty out the short bus"? Can't the Blackhawks step in here and get the culture back on track? While they're at it, can they change the name of the team to something that resonates with the history of northern Illinois and doesn't involve chilled swine? Something like "Blackhawks"?

I would have to think that the Wolves are a bigger obstacle to a Hoffman Estates affiliate (though that neck of the woods is really more South Barrington, if you ask me) than the rotting corpses of the Hounds/Express. Levin already doesn't like the Wirtzes; he really wouldn't like it if they moved their affiliate into the metro area, a scant fifteen miles down the tollway. AHL by-laws might not allow it, either. I'd rather just make it work in Rockford with non-caveman hockey.

Rockford is your league leader in penalty minutes, even outpacing everyone in the punch-em-up-and-get-on-the-bus Eastern Conference. The goonery is even more stark when compared to the teams the FreezerPigs actually play. They have 475 more PIM than the 2nd-biggest offender in the division, Grand Rapids. Of course, the Griffins' PIM total spiked once they got in an absurdist line/bench brawl with Hey Guess Who. We're several years into the affiliation and Rockford is still playing UHL garbage, for reasons I can't fathom. Well, attendance is up about 9% this year.

Could the Blackhawks take the franchise and move it to the more-convenient, less-destitute Sears Centre? Or has the earth been fairly well-salted there by the Hounds and Express?

Could we change the team name/logo/uniforms while we're at it? It pains me to even think it.

Also I find it odd that Morin is instigating anything, considering his head resembles a bruised jell-o mold at this point.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

What a candyass.

Kostitisyn called Columbus the "gloomiest city" he'd ever been to. I don't disagree that Columbus is gloomy, but he was playing in Siberia at the time he said it and I know for a fact that he's been to Detroit, Michigan.

How very Ohioan of you.

I get so uncomfortable when Detroit, Cleveland/Columbus, and Pittsburgh fight among themselves. It's like watching stray dogs fight for edible garbage and I can't come in to break it up.

Archived