The 2013 NHL Season Thread

charger77

Canucks announcers just called Corey Perry one of the biggest sore losers/whiners in the game. Is that accurate, and how does it compare to anyone on the Canucks?

Corey Perry is a huge jerk and is excellent at doing all kinds of awful things to dudes without being totally blatant in a Raffi Torres way

You know how big a dick Corey Perry is? Pavel Datsyuk fought him. Pavel Lady Byng Datsyuk. Pavel I Like Everything and Everybody Because I'm Just That Cool Datsyuk.

(At 0:13)

Does Corey Perry have a habit of falling on goaltenders? Sure. Does Corey Perry fight and get into people's face from time to time? Sure. Did Corey Perry lead the Western Conference in goals last year, a year after he won the Hart Trophy as MVP? Yes. Corey may be a bit of a jerk, but he is one highly skilled, point accumulating jerk, and he's my highly skilled, point accumulating jerk :lol: (...for now :( )

And biggest whiner/sore loser in the league? First, that's a joke on the substance of it (especially considering I've seen more of that from Getzlaf than Perry over the years), but for that to come from the Canucks announcers? Please.

(And what Corey was doing last night was out of pure frustration with the referees and almost directly after he got slammed head first into the dasher, then tried to fight the guy that did it because the refs were nowhere, then got held up going into the zone for what should have been interference, but that late in the game, Corey had had it, and fought Ballard (Corey got 5 for fighting, but Ballard only got 2 for roughing. Even though they both dropped the gloves and threw punches... but ok.) I usually try not to complain about the refs and can see the calls both ways, but a 9-1 disparity in power plays (technically the Ducks had two, but the second lasted 5 seconds) is absolutely ridiculous. Yes the Ducks took a couple dumb penalties (Getzlaf) but there were weak ones, and it was not going both ways. So all the penalties, added in with the Ducks :censored: penalty kill, and Schneider having a day in net, you get a crap result on the Ducks end. Nothing was going for them in any area last night.)

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.suntimes.com/lifestyles/splash/17711514-418/rocky-wirtz-shares-his-diary-of-a-lockout.html

Now that the Chicago Blackhawks are playing hockey again, I have been asked a lot of questions, none more than, “Rocky, what did you do to keep yourself busy over the past three months?” Well, it might surprise some of you to know that I kept a diary, so I thought I would share some of my more memorable days.

Day 1: Drove to the United Center. No traffic. No cars. Couldn’t get in. They change the locks?

Called team President John McDonough. Didn’t pick-up. Must have been busy.

Went home. Took Bernie and Queenie (my dogs, not my kids) for a walk. Fell asleep watching “Best of Oprah.”

Day 10: Dogs now tired of walking, want baths. Wife Marilyn just tired of talking to me.

Tired of Oprah. Flipped to “Pawn Stars” and “Amish Mafia.” Decided to learn Canadian, ran to Rosetta Stone.

Day 17: It’s my birthday. Surprise party for me at United Center. Couldn’t get in...

Called McDonough again. Voicemail full. Must really be busy. Got home and asked Marilyn to talk to dogs for me. She wouldn’t. Worked on my Canadian a little more. Really getting it down, eh? Changed batteries in remote.

Day 25: Woke up to dogs on strike. They said it’s “aboot” respect. “Keeping up with the Kardashians” isn’t that bad. Girls are deep, really deep.

But “The Real Housewives of New Jersey” deeper.

Called McDonough again. Always wants to talk to me. Number disconnected. Huh?

Day 46: Halloween. Gave out chocolate pucks to neighborhood kids. Little criminals threw them through my front window.

Spent night cleaning glass.

Almost fluent in Canadian now.

“Housewives” took a turn. Sad. So sad. Changed batteries on remote, again.

Day 53: Marilyn won’t talk to me anymore. Dogs refuse to walk. Three strikes in three months. When will this end?

Is it me?

McDonough nowhere to be found, heard he’s doing “Undercover Boss.”

Called Bob Pulford to try out Canadian. Growled, said he couldn’t understand me and hung up.

Day 68: Thanksgiving, my favorite holiday!

Went to my local butcher to buy turkey for one. He sent me to Rockford.

Reached out to Jim Cornelison, but told he was busy working cruise circuit.

Housewives busy. So it’s me, Kim and Khloe. So meaningful. There were tears.

When will this end ...?

Day 87: Called Tommy Hawk to have breakfast, then realized I had no idea what he looks like.

Decided to paint some rooms in the house. Picked up some paint, brushes and a book, “50 Shades of Grey,” to guide me. I am so confused.

Caught “Alaska State Troopers” and “Buying Alaska.” Riveting. Remote batteries dead and TIVO full. Ugh.

Day 100: It’s Christmas.

Woke up to a nice fish wrapped in my newspaper. Personally wrapped 13 Cristobal Huet sweaters for friends. Also wrapped a bag of coal for someone in Phoenix (heard it was chilly there).

Went to annual Blackhawks Christmas Skate Party. No ice. Kids crying in their parents’ arms.

Went home. No Marilyn. No dogs.

One present under tree: a movie! My favorite! “Norma Rae.” Gosh, I just love Sally Field!

Day 113: Phone rang early morning.

It’s finally over. Marilyn is here. Bernie and Queenie are here. And we are grateful you are, too!

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

What the hell was that.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

An allegedly comical slant on the lockout as presented through the fictionalized persona of W. Rockwell Wirtz, co-owner of Wrapports, LLC, owner of the Chicago Sun-Times.

See, fans? Rocky was just as much on the outside during this whole nasty lockout business as you are! That's why he says he doesn't need to apologize for killing half the season in a shameless power grab! He wasn't even there! It was all McDonough's fault!

Still beats the piss out of a Mariotti column, though. I wouldn't wipe my ass with one of those for fear of infection.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

So the S-T is basically doing T. Herman Zweibel editorials but in real life. Maybe they'll pick up Savage Love from the Reader (which somehow, they own now?).

The bit about getting locked out of his birthday party at the Untied Center was poignant since that actually happened to him at the Stadium as a kid. He pissed off Bill and got uninvited to his own birthday party. I hope this was therapeutic for him, though I probably wouldn't have published it in something that still thinks of itself as a major newspaper?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Hard to believe this is the same rag that, 35 years ago, built a bar downtown, staffed it with reporters, and bugged the hell out of it to catch a whole load of politicians on the take making their deals. It's a wonder we find anything out anymore.

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Attendance looks strong for the first few games. All teams averaging atleast 90% capacity except.....drum roll please....Phoenix. Even Columbus without Nash is 105%. Islanders, 98%.

As much as I'd like to see hockey succeed in the desert, it's not going to. This is a team that made the playoffs the last 3 years and was in the West finals last year. No support.

sig.png

Canucks announcers just called Corey Perry one of the biggest sore losers/whiners in the game. Is that accurate, and how does it compare to anyone on the Canucks?

Corey Perry is a huge jerk and is excellent at doing all kinds of awful things to dudes without being totally blatant in a Raffi Torres way

You know how big a dick Corey Perry is? Pavel Datsyuk fought him. Pavel Lady Byng Datsyuk. Pavel I Like Everything and Everybody Because I'm Just That Cool Datsyuk.

(At 0:13)

Does Corey Perry have a habit of falling on goaltenders? Sure. Does Corey Perry fight and get into people's face from time to time? Sure. Did Corey Perry lead the Western Conference in goals last year, a year after he won the Hart Trophy as MVP? Yes. Corey may be a bit of a jerk, but he is one highly skilled, point accumulating jerk, and he's my highly skilled, point accumulating jerk :lol: (...for now :( )

And biggest whiner/sore loser in the league? First, that's a joke on the substance of it (especially considering I've seen more of that from Getzlaf than Perry over the years), but for that to come from the Canucks announcers? Please.

(And what Corey was doing last night was out of pure frustration with the referees and almost directly after he got slammed head first into the dasher, then tried to fight the guy that did it because the refs were nowhere, then got held up going into the zone for what should have been interference, but that late in the game, Corey had had it, and fought Ballard (Corey got 5 for fighting, but Ballard only got 2 for roughing. Even though they both dropped the gloves and threw punches... but ok.) I usually try not to complain about the refs and can see the calls both ways, but a 9-1 disparity in power plays (technically the Ducks had two, but the second lasted 5 seconds) is absolutely ridiculous. Yes the Ducks took a couple dumb penalties (Getzlaf) but there were weak ones, and it was not going both ways. So all the penalties, added in with the Ducks :censored: penalty kill, and Schneider having a day in net, you get a crap result on the Ducks end. Nothing was going for them in any area last night.)

For everyone who whines and cries about Corey Perry, they need to take a good hard look at themselves and realize that they are no different themselves. As a matter of fact, people who whine about others are just simply pathetic. Anyone who complaines about Perry would take him in a heart-beat on their team and look the other way when he does something. I have two words for the hypocrits, "Shut up."

This is Don Cherry at his finest. Referring to Ladislav Smid:"This guy's a Czech, he can't fight."

It's true, he can't fight. Cherry was complimenting him for sticking up for Eberle

Yes, but it sounds like he's saying he can't fight because he's European.

GO OILERS-GO BLUE JAYS-GO ESKIMOS-GO COLTS

That was one of the most Blue Jacketty games I have ever seen. I need to go wash.

This is Don Cherry at his finest. Referring to Ladislav Smid:"This guy's a Czech, he can't fight."

It's true, he can't fight. Cherry was complimenting him for sticking up for Eberle

Yes, but it sounds like he's saying he can't fight because he's European.

Naw, that can't be what he meant.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

Shane Doan with a dirty-as-all-hell hit on Dustin Brown tonight with Phoenix well behind. I assume it was just the Lord speaking through him as he choke-slammed Brown onto the ice.

Archived