The 2013 NHL Season Thread

charger77

The Blackhawks are not supposed to win that game at all. What is going on here.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What's Detroit doing is the better question. Blackhawks lost tons of games just like this one last year, but Detroit's PP never could get established and the defense played great. Lots of aggression from guys who were cowed last season like Frolik and Kruger, plus it appears Duncan Keith's finally gotten his balls back after taking a year off.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Unless he just doesn't have cable, which is more and more the case with people our age. Orrrrrr one of those dead zones where you're in what's designated as a team's territory, but your cable provider doesn't carry the RSN that the games are on, leaving you with no recourse.

I wonder how many people would pay a premium to stream in-market games rather than buy the entire cable package.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

As to your last point, I would probably be very solid with Netflix (and perhaps Amazon Prime and Hulu Plus) IF I had the option to stream live sports (and ideally HBO).

I think some day we'll get to that point (or at least a more ala carte system), but there's still too many powerful people who rake in money with the current system to be there soon. It's kind of like oil vs. alternative fuel/electricity.

We'll get there, but the people rich off of the old system will do what they can to slow the progression to the new one. At least until they can figure out how to get just as rich off of it.

I had the option of choosing an awesome cable package with crappy internet, or a horrific cable package with unbelievable internet. I chose the latter.

I have no interest in paying an additional $40-60/mo just to get ESPN/Comcast/B10/etc, that's not at all worth the cost.

I wonder how many people would pay a premium to stream in-market games rather than buy the entire cable package.

I'd absolutely pay a fair sum for this. I think almost every fan would if it means not having to bleed yourself dry every month to get an abundance of channels you never watch.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Gotcha. Just out of curiosity, does that mean you chose one Comcast package over the other, or did you go with another company? I never went with anything but Comcast in Champaign (actually it was Insight first and then Comcast took over), but I never cared for the service, either.

The only thing that could bother me about streaming games is if it wasn't a great stream. I need smooth, HD (ish), and non-delayed.

MLB.tv does a good job of this IF you don't install their DVR plug-in. NBA League Pass struggles. So does the online version of NFL Sunday Ticket.

Additionally, I've noticed that anything I stream live through XBox has quite a delay (MLB.tv, NBA League Pass, and WatchESPN).

The reason a delay matters to me is two-fold. One, I just hate the idea of knowing I'm behind (I know there's SOME delay already with TV). Two, with the social media experience becoming a bigger and bigger part of watching games (at least for me), delays are very bad news.

So those would be my concerns. If they could be settled, I'd be all over it.

Gotcha. Just out of curiosity, does that mean you chose one Comcast package over the other, or did you go with another company? I never went with anything but Comcast in Champaign (actually it was Insight first and then Comcast took over), but I never cared for the service, either.

I chose one comcast package over the other. My apartment building said the only options we had were comcast or at&t. Comcast isn't anything wonderful (their offices house the worst customer service in America, including the DMV), but it's affordable and we're getting a very respectable internet speed.

Also the reason I cited mlb.tv was more about making a comparable reference of function (streaming games online).

The only thing that could bother me about streaming games is if it wasn't a great stream. I need smooth, HD (ish), and non-delayed.

MLB.tv does a good job of this IF you don't install their DVR plug-in. NBA League Pass struggles. So does the online version of NFL Sunday Ticket.

Additionally, I've noticed that anything I stream live through XBox has quite a delay (MLB.tv, NBA League Pass, and WatchESPN).

The reason a delay matters to me is two-fold. One, I just hate the idea of knowing I'm behind (I know there's SOME delay already with TV). Two, with the social media experience becoming a bigger and bigger part of watching games (at least for me), delays are very bad news.

So those would be my concerns. If they could be settled, I'd be all over it.

I'm similarly spoiled myself. It pains me to watch these crappy streams of blackhawks games where I'm barely looking at 480p quality crap. The delay isn't bad at all, however.

But free is free.

twitter

Honestly, you're better off just listening to the radio call of the game and using your imagination than squinting at a pixelated feed from SportWatchingFinland or whatever.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Another option... if you've got family or friends in Chicago who you know will be watching the Hawks games... invest in a SlingBox and set them up with it. The delay isn't bad, and the feed quality is as good as the internets in the two locations allow it to be.

It's a decent amount of money, but if you view it as a long-term thing, it's not so bad.

The downside to that one is that it's hooked up to their specific tuner box, so what they watch you watch and vice-versa. That's why I listed the caveat of knowing they'll be watching the Hawks anyways.

Honestly, you're better off just listening to the radio call of the game and using your imagination than squinting at a pixelated feed from SportWatchingFinland or whatever.

Perhaps, but those few times where the feed is that where there are no commercials, and you can hear the thoughts of those Canadian broadcasters during dead air, can make it oh so worth it.

spacer.png

Columbus is an ideal NHL market. Great arena, no major-league competition, well-established hockey community with a lot of high school teams and college support, and an abundance of Tim Hortons. Now all they need is a team.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

It'll be interesting to see how the fans respond to a 1-3-1 team on a monday night that isn't the home opener. So far they've only had two games, they were against Detroit and Chicago who have long been Columbus seat-fillers, and they were the home opener and a saturday. I'd hope we sell out those games.

I think people recognize that this isn't going to be the year they break through, but they're smart enough to understand that there's a plan in place, the team has improved so much from last year, and that there's finally competent management running the show.

Maybe it was the sound on your end because I thought the crowd on Saturday night was one of the best I've felt in a couple of years.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Columbus' attendance isn't all that bad when you consider they've been one of the most futile sports teams in the last 13 years or so. They finished top-12 for three straight years from 2001-03, including eighth (!) in 2002. Their attendance didn't really start to fall to the bottom of the league until a few years ago, and let's be honest, you can't entirely blame the fans. When there's reason for hope (new team, young star in Nash), they draw pretty well. I feel bad, because they have a damn respectable fanbase considering they're a very recent expansion team who's almost always known failure.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

Archived