The 2013 NHL Season Thread

charger77

I can't exactly blame the bandwagon fans and "yinzers" for being outraged at the Penguins right now, being that they are making the same mistakes that killed them last year (in fact, it seems like they're making them more). But they are fixable mistakes, however painful they are to watch. And it's not like the Leafs and Isles are bad teams anymore, because they aren't by any means. I'd give it a while before we start calling for Bylsma's head like a lot of people are already doing.

It's not like over-complicating things is a terminal illness. Eventually they'll stop trying to make the fancy cool-looking play and turning it over every possession on a dumb forced pass because of it. If there's anything to be pissed about, it should be how nobody seems to want to battle for the puck anymore and they constantly get outworked in all three zones.

oBIgzrL.png

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Halifax looks like a cool little port city and I hope to visit one day, but with a population of less than 400,000 I don't think they'd be able to support an NHL team in the long-term.

sort of on-topic sidenote: one of my favorite internet activities is getting on google earth and looking at cities I've never been to. Anyone

else?

Yeah, it's kinda cool going on there and looking at soccer stadiums across the globe.

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

Apparently there was a city council vote in Markham, Ont. to stop work on a proposed arena for this hypothetical GTA team. Per Friedman, it failed 7-6.

Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you Glendale Northeast!

Glendale Northeast hosting the Clippers: NHL Edition. What could go wrong?

You mean Markham will have a better team than Toronto? B)

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

There's always Kansas City. Using the "If you build it, they will come" line. I doubt St Louis has a grip on that market. Milwaukee would make some sense as some have said, new building would benefit the Bucks too, though the there's that Chicago quandary. Southern Ontario is the only place that makes sense for Canada, Saskatoon and Halifax aren't nearly big enough, yeah Winnipeg's small, but it's not Saskatoon or Halifax.

What about Houston? Top five largest city in the States, Toyota Center works, plus they have Hockey roots with the Aeros being there forever.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

Apparently there was a city council vote in Markham, Ont. to stop work on a proposed arena for this hypothetical GTA team. Per Friedman, it failed 7-6.

Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you Glendale Northeast!

Glendale Northeast hosting the Clippers: NHL Edition. What could go wrong?

You mean Markham will have a better team than Toronto? B)

Like the Clippers they could have the better team, and like the Clippers no one would care.

What about Houston? Top five largest city in the States, Toyota Center works, plus they have Hockey roots with the Aeros being there forever.

I seem to recall reading something a couple of years back that the current Rockets ownership has absolutely no desire to own an NHL team at present. Sees as the Rockets run the arena, well....good luck finding somebody else to own a team there.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I seem to recall reading something a couple of years back that the current Rockets ownership has absolutely no desire to own an NHL team at present. Sees as the Rockets run the arena, well....good luck finding somebody else to own a team there.

Also after the fiasco in Phoenix the NHL shouldn't be eager to embark on another Sunbelt gamble.

Blackhawks take 2nd period off, Backstrom with a strong night, undefeated no more.

Screw the Wild.

Blackhawks lose.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Also after the fiasco in Phoenix the NHL shouldn't be eager to embark on another Sunbelt gamble.

They shouldn't take a bad gamble.

If they had a dedicated owner, with a good arena to play in, a team that would be capable of catching a fans attention, and a long-term outlook... well then there's no reason to write some place off just because it's "sunbelt".

But I don't think we have any reason to believe Houston has those things. So that would be a bad gamble.

Oilers beat the Coyotes 2-1 with a Yakupov goal in sudden death, after which Derek Morris just starting punching Ryan Whitney in the head over and over. What a piece of crap; suspend him.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Oilers beat the Coyotes 2-1 with a Yakupov goal in sudden death, after which Derek Morris just starting punching Ryan Whitney in the head over and over. What a piece of crap; suspend him.

Shane Doan probably played Don Cherry's speech from Saturday to the guys during pregame. Leadership!

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

The end of that game was just non-sense. Even the end of regulation was weird, Gagne got tangled up with a Coyote who had obviously pulled Gagne down, yet Gagne got called for the penalty which led to the Coyotes tying the game with about a minute to go. I don't understand how you call Gagne for that penalty without giving the Coyote a penalty as well.

And then of course you had the chaos of the game winning goal in overtime.

jNTsTyQ.png

I thought it was going to be coincidental minors with Gagner and Johnson or Doan, who laid a dirty hit on Horcoff amidst all that confusion. I hope he bitches about the Yakupov goal. I'm sure he will.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

An anti-blackhawks avatar and slogan? What a riot.

No, that doesn't happen until the playoffs.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Archived