The 2013 NHL Season Thread

charger77

Kind of like the time the Devils played in a blizzard and only 300 people could make it. I'm surprised the Isles didn't postpone as well tonight.

Devils 7, Calgary 5 in Jan '87 334 People showed:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=651845

DEVILS_334_SINGLE_325_v3.jpg

The Devils expected 11,247 fans -- the number of tickets sold -- for the game. But with horrible weather causing severe traffic congestion, only 334 fans made it to the arena, which is believed to be the lowest-attended game in modern NHL history.

For players and fans in attendance at that 7-5 Devils win, it inspired a unique club -- the Devils formed the 334 Club to honor those diehards -- as well as a bond that remains 26 years later.

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wasn't there a Bruins/Lightning game in Tampa that was postponed for a power outage?

Nope, just canceled due to the state of emergency status in the Commonwealth. My town (about a mile or two from the Garden) got 28 inches so it's a little more than just a "little snowstorm" like NEW.ERA said.

I remember a Lightning at Devils game was suspended in the 2nd period due to a power outage a couple of years ago.

The Islanders lucked out today. I got 32 inches of snow here in Suffolk. Nassau wasn't hit as hard. I will not be going to the game tonight.

Yeah, and the remainder of that game was played the next day, I believe. I can't help but think about that incident every time the Lightning play games in Newark (it's also a reassuring thing, because the Devils routinely beat the Lightning).

spacer.png

Worst camera angles in the league are Dallas (not steep enough) and Detroit (oh hey back of dudes' heads for the millionth time)

I watched some of the Wings game today before I passed out due to bad hockey and realized I kinda didn't mind the camera angle! Having jerkasses carrying nachos through your line of sight really makes you feel like you're at the game.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I watched some of the Wings game today before I passed out due to bad hockey

The Sharks/Coyotes game did me in.** Out like a light. Maybe that was Hockey Day in Canada's designated nap portion.

**the multiple pints I had watching soccer at The Globe this morning may have contributed

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Oh, yeah, the Bruins played more hockey today than the Sharks did. Lot of ugly games across the board today. I'm particularly concerned with the Oilers, a team built to score that never scores.

Oh, yeah, the Bruins played more hockey today than the Sharks did. Lot of ugly games across the board today. I'm particularly concerned with the Oilers, a team built to score that never scores.

The Sharks have turned into that, only 10 goals in their last 6 games.

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

I think Brian Elliott just died.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Announced attendance for the Islanders game is 12,608.

My bet is that it's paid attendance and not people through the turnstile.

True, but it didn't look too empty on TV. And there was a good chunk of Buffaloians who made the trip down.

The Sharks have turned into that, only 10 goals in their last 6 games.

The Lightning and Sharks have kind of mirrored each other, in that regard.

Only averaging 1.66 goals in their last three games after their berserk start. SSS, you could say, but that number wasn't/isn't going to get much better playing Tuukka Rask and Henrik Lundqvist the next two nights. In Tampa's case, they weren't going to keep posting 5+ a game, and in San Jose's case, Patrick Marleau wasn't going to keep seeing every single shot of his finding the net.

spacer.png

Toronto delivered a thorough thrashing of Montreal tonight. This team has really performed above and beyond expectations.

Nice to see a team win a game in every category. Best and most complete game I've seen out of the Leafs in 5 years. I love the fact we are a team, everyone sticks up for each other and we aren't pushed around anymore, except maybe by Chara (if you're Phill Kessel).

untitled-6.jpg

Fun Fact: Tonight's Leafs-Habs game was the first one since 2006 in which both teams entered the game above .500

This was the most entertaining game for me in a long while. On top of giving the Habs a 6-0 ass-spanking, there were fights, scrums, and hits galore. Leafs/Habs games have really lacked a heated edge in the past little while, so it was great to see things turned up a notch. Toronto's finally resembling that tough, gritty, won't-be-pushed-around team that Burke promised.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

Fun Fact: Tonight's Leafs-Habs game was the first one since 2006 in which both teams entered the game above .500

This was the most entertaining game for me in a long while. On top of giving the Habs a 6-0 ass-spanking, there were fights, scrums, and hits galore. Leafs/Habs games have really lacked a heated edge in the past little while, so it was great to see things turned up a notch. Toronto's finally resembling that tough, gritty, won't-be-pushed-around team that Burke promised.

The funny thing is many of the pieces were already here Burke just never gave the roster space to enable them (cough Connolly).

untitled-6.jpg

Ian Cole's game-winning sudden death goal is washed out for goaltender interference. Crowd chants "bullsh-t" and throws garbage on the ice. The Best Fans In Baseball must fly south for the winter.

Archived