The 2013 NHL Season Thread

charger77

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess it's all finally catching up to the Beej faithful, eh? :P

It's just very frustrating. Can't win on the ice, can't tank and win the lottery. There's nowhere to go.

I'm sure a Maple Leafs fan understands.

edit: at least RJ Umberger finally scored a goal. 4.6 million a year until 2016-2017 for that guy. Scott Howson is the worst.

PvO6ZWJ.png

I was just looking at the standings, and I have absolutely no idea how Nashville is 6th in the West right now. Wow.

Somebody took Nashville and replaced them with a goddamn soccer team because a draw ensures you score in the standings. They are this season's "Loserpoints 'R Us"

This is why the NHL's "points" system is so lame and no other major sport does this.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Hell, no other major professional hockey league does this. Either go 3(W)-2(OW)-1(OL)-0(L) like the rest of the civilized hockey world, or just go straight-up W-L. Instead, we get this convoluted, backfiring half-measure, which pretty much sums up this league.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I agree McCarthy it is getting really frustrating. Don't know what else the team can do to go forward. Problem is they just cannot score. Its really frustrating to watch em on the power play.

I agree with the guys above as well. Awarding points to a team that loses is pure stupidity. I really wish the NHL would just go the Wins and Losses. Scrap OTL's and the shootout. Keep playing 4 on 4 or even do 3 on 3 until someone scores.

Question: has a negative point system ever been employed? If not, would this be the right time to do one? Admittedly I'm ignorant to all this, but how would a W(3)/OTW(1)/OTL(-1)/L(-3) work? Win a game, get 3 points. Lose a game, lose them right back. No zeroes anywhere. Think that might motivate teams to play more for the three than to settle for the one, or risk losing three? Somehow I think that setup might make for some interesting end-of-season point races...particularly if a favored team has only a two-point lead over the next team, and that next team wins in regulation or the favored team loses in regulation...that's a three-point swing right there, and one team is either gonna win or lose by one measly point.

What do any of y'all think?

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

That's not feasible. Since most people don't like having ties, the shootout becomes a necessary means upon which to eventually end an NHL game in a timely order, if needed. I will say I'm in favour of 10:00 overtimes, four-on-four (or five-on-five, but never three-on-three), but that's about as far as it can be stretched.

spacer.png

My point-based solution was 2 for a 65-minute win, 1.5 for a shootout win, 0.5 for a shootout loss, nothing for a 65-minute loss. This gives you generally the same breakdown as 3-2-1, but maintains the two-point win that has been the baseline of all record-keeping. Then again, it'd be so NHL to go to three-point wins so that they could market that year's good teams as being the fastest to 100 points, notwithstanding that, um, er, ah, you see...

Ideally, I'd go with ten-minute overtimes and a five-round shootout, from which you completely win or completely lose.

The problem with what we have now, which the NHL so Microsoftianly sees as a feature, is that bad teams are so obfuscated by loser points that not only do they delude idiot fans into thinking the team is in it, they delude idiot management, too. The Flames are crap on a stick right now, but mathematically they're still right in it. This serves no one well.

Anyway I've had this discussion a hundred times and it never goes anywhere and I hate it so that's that.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I guess it's all finally catching up to the Beej faithful, eh? :P

It's just very frustrating. Can't win on the ice, can't tank and win the lottery. There's nowhere to go.

I'm sure a Maple Leafs fan understands.

Oh believe me I do.

Ideally, I'd go with ten-minute overtimes and a five-round shootout, from which you completely win or completely lose.

Yeah, that's really the only solution that makes sense. The whole purpose of the points system was to account for ties. Like the shootout or not it has eliminated the tie. So that being the case the points system should be obsolete.

Every person who says "it's not a point for losing, it's a point for not losing in 60 minutes" should have their organs sold as part of a Florida Panthers sponsorship package. What a dumb thing to say. Hockey fans have more dumb thoughts per capita than any other sport.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

In a related story,

BCye7hMCEAAErUz.jpg

In silly hockey pictures, this happened last night. Taylor Hall jumped on the net to avoid Sergei Bobrovsky and then chose to go over the back to get down. First time I've ever seen that.

jackets-notes-2-11-art-gs7lk1kg-1bluejackets-oilers-2-10-284.jpg?__scale=w:460,h:340,t:1

PvO6ZWJ.png

That's not feasible. Since most people don't like having ties, the shootout becomes a necessary means upon which to eventually end an NHL game in a timely order, if needed. I will say I'm in favour of 10:00 overtimes, four-on-four (or five-on-five, but never three-on-three), but that's about as far as it can be stretched.

They are the absolutely worst thing. "Oh, who won the <insert team name here> game last night?" "It was a tie."

Braves.jpg

BigMac's posts make me want to punch babies.

Hockey is weird and I love it.

I know the Elitserien and perhaps other European leagues have similar constructs though.

Every game is a three point game. Regulation decisions award three to the winner and none for the loser, but overtime decisions penalize the winning team a point, and award it to the loser. I wonder how much of that is done just so that a standardized point total is met each season. I mean, the total number of points accrued in the NHL varies year-to-year based on how many three point games there end up being. That's not the case over there.

spacer.png

3 points for a win (Regulation/OT)

2 points for a shootout win

1 point for a shootout loss

0 points for a loss (Regulation/OT)

Boom.

I think I like that the best.

Straight W/L would be the actual best way, but I'd have bad feelings about the shootout being the tiebreak when it comes to straight wins and losses. But we're not allowed to have ties anymore because (North) America. and we can't play overtime forever, so unfortunately I think the shootout is here to stay in some capacity.

If that's the case, I like RyanMcD's idea, because an OT win really is just like a regular win. It comes in the flow of play. And IMO shootout wins aren't as legitimate regular wins, and vice versa for losses.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Archived