2013 NCAA FOOTBALL THREAD

LETSGOBLUEBEATMSU

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Alabama will be top-four so as I understand it, they automatically go to a bowl and with Auburn in the NCG, they fill the SEC slot in the Sugar Bowl.

I'm also really looking forward to this National Championship Game. I think it could be a really, really great back-and-forth game. One for the ages perhaps.

6fQjS3M.png

*sees projected Orange Bowl*

So....

Have Ohio State and Clemson played since the game that ended Woody Hayes' career?

I think they may have played each other since then, but I'm not sure. Anyway, my guess is Alabama will get the first crack at the Orange Bowl.

I hate no hatred of Ohio State but it does get tiring from any team from any sport where they cry for validation when it's easily arguable it's unmerited. Losing tonight only proved what most already knew.

I wish I could argue that you're wrong, but I can't. That said, you're really not giving Michigan State any credit at all.

I think BCS selection rules bar the Orange from grabbing Alabama now that Auburn's in the NCG.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

BCS?

Championship: Florida State vs. Auburn

Rose Bowl: Michigan State vs. Stanford

Sugar Bowl: Alabama vs. Oregon

Orange Bowl: Ohio State vs. Clemson

Fiesta Bowl: Baylor vs. UCF

OR

Championship: Florida State vs. Auburn

Rose Bowl: Michigan State vs. Stanford

Orange Bowl: Alabama vs. Ohio State

Sugar Bowl: Clemson vs. Oregon

Fiesta Bowl: Baylor vs. UCF

Honestly, I'd like to see Michigan State get a shot at the BCS Title. Hell of a performance.

---

My Predictions:

BCS: Florida State vs Auburn

Orange: Alabama vs Clemson

Sugar: Ohio State vs Oklahoma State/Oklahoma (depends on how the rankings shake I think)

Rose: Stanford vs Michigan State

Fiesta: Baylor vs UCF

BCS slots all depend on what the Orange Bowl wants.

If they pick Alabama first, then the Sugar can't take a SEC team and will probably go Ohio State. If they pick Clemson first, Alabama goes to the Sugar. Orange gets the 3rd pick and if they go Bama, they'll probably pick Clemson. Sugar will probably go with one of the Oklahoma teams either way. And unless the Orange really throws a curveball and takes UCF for the Florida ticket sales, UCF will slide down to the Fiesta. Orange also has some history with picking the Big 10, so who knows. Oregon is in that mix too.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Can somebody jimmy rig up what next year's playoff would look like if it was in place this season now that we have a relatively clear picture?

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

FSU vs Ohio State

Auburn vs Alabama

Something like that I think unless there are rules against conferences playing each other I don't know about. Not sure who realistically leapfrogs Ohio State. Stanford has 2 losses and Baylor seems to low to jump that high.

Edit: forgot Sparty and was thinking it was BCS standings but it's not next year. I think they get in over OSU. Hard to argue OSU over Michigan State with the same records and Sparty beating them.

I think BCS selection rules bar the Orange from grabbing Alabama now that Auburn's in the NCG.

Nah. Orange Bowl gets the first replacement pick with FSU at #1. They can choose whoever they want.

Looks like most pundits are predicting:

Championship: Florida State (13-0) vs. Auburn (12-1)

Rose: Stanford (11-2) vs. Michigan State (12-1)

Sugar Bowl: Alabama (11-1) vs. Oklahoma (10-2)

Orange Bowl: Ohio State (12-1) vs. Clemson (10-2)

Fiesta Bowl: Baylor (11-1) vs. UCF (11-1)

Dang it DarkJourney, you beat me to the punch. I'll take a swing, even though there are only 5 spots to pick.

National Championship: Florida St. (ACC) vs. Auburn (SEC)

Rose: Stanford (PAC-12) vs. Michigan St. (B1G)

Sugar: Alabama (At-Large) vs. Ohio State (At-Large)

Orange: Clemson (At-Large) vs. UCF (American)

Fiesta: Baylor (Big 12) vs. Oregon (PAC-12)

CS85, I see your request. It would likely be:

1. Florida St. (13-0, 8-0) ACC Champs
  2. Auburn (12-1, 7-1) SEC Champs
  3. Alabama (11-1, 7-1) At-Large
  4. Stanford 11-2, 7-2) PAC-12 Champs

or

5. Ohio State (12-1, 8-0) At-Large

File:Virginia Tech Hokies logo.svg

Can somebody jimmy rig up what next year's playoff would look like if it was in place this season now that we have a relatively clear picture?

With numbers as seeds not ranks, I'd go with:

1) Florida State vs 4) Stanford

2) Auburn vs 3) Alabama

Ohio State drops out. Missouri drops out. Oklahoma State drops out. Baylor is probably the other team in that mix for the #4 seed. Maybe Ohio State too.

The playoff committee is supposedly going to give more weight to conference champions. So maybe that drops Alabama to their #4, and I also think that's what would keep Ohio State out of that mix. Alabama is easily the best non-champ, and Michigan State is the closest conference champ after FSU/Auburn/Stanford, but not close enough to keep out Bama, IMO.

2) Auburn vs 3) Alabama

Ohio State drops out. Missouri drops out. Oklahoma State drops out. Baylor is probably the other team in that mix for the #4 seed. Maybe Ohio State too.

The playoff committee is supposedly going to give more weight to conference champions. So maybe that drops Alabama to their #4, and I also think that's what would keep Ohio State out of that mix. Alabama is easily the best non-champ, and Michigan State is the closest conference champ after FSU/Auburn/Stanford, but not close enough to keep out Bama, IMO.

In your scenario, Spaty could get #4 and drop Stanford out IMO. Let's compare resumes:

Michigan St: 12-1, lost to a decent team, quality wins vs: Michigan, and Ohio St. haven't lost since September.

Stanford: 11-2, lost to a bad team, quality wins vs: ASU x2, ND, at Washington, Oregon, UCLA, at Oregon St.

I'd give MSU the edge, they have 1 less loss, while Stanford has more quality wins, that Utah loss is really unforgiving. It's arguably a toss-up thank god they're isn't an good arguement for the BCS/Playoff this season.

Re: the Cotton Bowl, many nat'l and local pundits were earlier saying LSU v. Baylor, which of course assumed OK State won. Cowboys now may be Dallas bound, but then again it may be the Longhorns.

Despite what was said earlier, I don't think 4-loss Texas A&M, who went last year, will get that invite.

It is what it is.

2) Auburn vs 3) Alabama

In your scenario, Spaty could get #4 and drop Stanford out IMO. Let's compare resumes:

Michigan St: 12-1, lost to a decent team, quality wins vs: Michigan, and Ohio St. haven't lost since September.

Stanford: 11-2, lost to a bad team, quality wins vs: ASU x2, ND, at Washington, Oregon, UCLA, at Oregon St.

I'd give MSU the edge, they have 1 less loss, while Stanford has more quality wins, that Utah loss is really unforgiving. It's arguably a toss-up thank god they're isn't an good arguement for the BCS/Playoff this season.

Beating a 5-loss Michigan team is a "quality win"?

And Oregon State was 6-6

2) Auburn vs 3) Alabama

Using the "résumés" you posted, Stanford has seven quality wins to Michigan State's two, and Stanford beat the team that beat Michigan State.

They'll pick the better team, and Stanford is that better team in my mind.

Nah. Orange Bowl gets the first replacement pick with FSU at #1. They can choose whoever they want.

I'm pretty sure that restriction came into effect after the Orange grabbed Iowa in 2002, which forced the Rose Bowl to go without a Big Ten team.

2) Auburn vs 3) Alabama

Using the "résumés" you posted, Stanford has seven quality wins to Michigan State's two, and Stanford beat the team that beat Michigan State.

They'll pick the better team, and Stanford is that better team in my mind.

Stanford has more losses and a worse one.

Picking #4 would have been a nightmare this season.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I'm pretty sure that restriction came into effect after the Orange grabbed Iowa in 2002, which forced the Rose Bowl to go without a Big Ten team.

Ah you are correct.

"Further, when two bowls lose host teams, the bowl losing the No. 1 team may not select a replacement team from the same conference as the No. 2 team, unless the bowl losing the No. 2 team consents."

I guess I skipped over that when scanning the selection rules each week. And all the pundits predictions make more sense now :lol: so here are my revised predictions which I guess are no different than the pundits predictions, but whatever:

Revised Prediction:

BCS: Florida State vs Auburn

Orange: Clemson vs Ohio State

Sugar: Alabama vs Oklahoma

Rose: Stanford vs Michigan State

Fiesta: Baylor vs UCF

2) Auburn vs 3) Alabama

Beating a 5-loss Michigan team is a "quality win"?

And Oregon State was 6-6

Was going by ranked wins. Michigan and Oregon St. were ranked when Sparty and Stanford beat them. Although you might as well deduct them.

And we're not done yet, interesting game in the MWC title out in Fresno.

Archived