2013 NCAA FOOTBALL THREAD

LETSGOBLUEBEATMSU

If you're arguing that a one loss team should jump an undefeated team you need said one loss team to be better than this.

Auburn has been terrible on one side of the ball. There's no argument for them anymore should Ohio State win tonight.

Only the SEC fanboys think there was ever any argument to begin with.

And ESPN/CBS shills trying to pump their company's interests.

Honestly, how good was Missouri if they're giving up 27 yards a carry and 800 yards in a game? I'm less impressed with the SEC now than I was when the game began.

PvO6ZWJ.png

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You know, I'm not going to argue that any of your conceptions about SEC fans are wrong. Rather, I'll just say that I am seriously friggen glad that Tampa, FL is not exactly what people think of when they think of the "Deep South". Florida is such a weird state in that way; geographically, the southernmost, but nowhere near as "Southern" as any of the other old Confederate states tend to be.

This is one of the few things in which I am thankful this is such a transient market and state in general. We're just a geriatric state, not a redneck one.

If that's directed at me, I have no earthly idea what you're talking about. Then again, I doubt anyone else has any idea either. That thing reads like you're high on painkillers. Anyway...

Fans of teams that are in the SEC are great - among the best in football. "SEC fans" meaning those that root for a freaking conference are what I was referring to with "SEC fanboy." If an Auburn fan gets all up in arms over not passing Ohio State, I have no problem with that. What's ridiculous is when an Ole Miss or Vanderbilt fan gets all bent out of shape over it.

My "conceptions" of the SEC itself are as follows - I love SEC football. If I had a "second team" in College Football, that team would be either LSU or Auburn. I really like both teams - to the point that I go out of my way to watch them on TV.

With regard to the south itself, my entire family is from either Kentucky or North Carolina. The only thing "northern" about me is the fact that I was born in Ohio. Other than that, I am a straight up hillbilly/southerner and very proud of it.

Now leave me alone. B)

BB52Big.jpg

If you're arguing that a one loss team should jump an undefeated team you need said one loss team to be better than this.

Auburn has been terrible on one side of the ball. There's no argument for them anymore should Ohio State win tonight.

Only the SEC fanboys think there was ever any argument to begin with.

And ESPN/CBS shills trying to pump their company's interests.

Honestly, how good was Missouri if they're giving up 27 yards a carry and 800 yards in a game? I'm less impressed with the SEC now than I was when the game began.

I'm glad to see someone else say that. I thought it was just my obvious Ohio State bias making me think that ESPN had a hard on for Auburn passing the Buckeyes.

BB52Big.jpg

You know, I'm not going to argue that any of your conceptions about SEC fans are wrong. Rather, I'll just say that I am seriously friggen glad that Tampa, FL is not exactly what people think of when they think of the "Deep South". Florida is such a weird state in that way; geographically, the southernmost, but nowhere near as "Southern" as any of the other old Confederate states tend to be.

This is one of the few things in which I am thankful this is such a transient market and state in general. We're just a geriatric state, not a redneck one.

If that's directed at me, I have no earthly idea what you're talking about. Then again, I doubt anyone else has any idea either. That thing reads like you're high on painkillers. Anyway...

Fans of teams that are in the SEC are great - among the best in football. "SEC fans" meaning those that root for a freaking conference are what I was referring to with "SEC fanboy." If an Auburn fan gets all up in arms over not passing Ohio State, I have no problem with that. What's ridiculous is when an Ole Miss or Vanderbilt fan gets all bent out of shape over it.

My "conceptions" of the SEC itself are as follows - I love SEC football. If I had a "second team" in College Football, that team would be either LSU or Auburn. I really like both teams - to the point that I go out of my way to watch them on TV.

With regard to the south itself, my entire family is from either Kentucky or North Carolina. The only thing "northern" about me is the fact that I was born in Ohio. Other than that, I am a straight up hillbilly/southerner and very proud of it.

Now leave me alone. B)

Historically, Florida isn't really a "southern" state in the sense of Confederacy and that stuff. Southern Florida (Really anywhere south of Tampa and Orlando) is a very democratic area with alot of immigrants, the northern half is more like the rest of the south, but not completely alike. After all, Florida was under Spanish origin for a while, until (I think) the 1810's or 1820's. Ice_Cap could probably give you more info on that.

I could consider myself a hillbilly/redneck but I really don't. The life I live doesn't really tie to that but so much, the only thing hillbilly you could find about me is I like hunting, fishing, have a lot of conservative/right wing views, and things like that. Other than that, I could be considered a northerner living in a southern state. And I would still consider Virginia a southern state, the only reason the state has been turning blue is the Fairfax county/suburban DC counties up north. To my knowledge, that's close to half the state's population, the rest of the state is red as could be.

Getting back to football, I really hope Stanford-ASU turns into a shootout, Auburn-Mizzou was fun to watch.

File:Virginia Tech Hokies logo.svg

Well, as I've heard in regards to Florida, the farther South you get, the more North you get. Northern Florida seems to be where a lot of the rednecks are. Still not as bad as the other states in the area, but I lived in Ocala for a year and there was it's fair share of rednecks in that area.

edit: Basically what dscruggy said before me.

IUe6Hvh.png

Game of the century vs. Notre Dame 1966... ring a bell.

Sure. We tied. Not impressive. Ohio State has been in more "GAME OF THE CENTURY"s than Sparty has, anyway.

Uh, also, that was 47 years ago. Stop making MSU fans look bad, mkay? Recent success doesn't cover half a century. We were terrible not too long ago, lest you forget.

Good luck tonight, OSU fans. Should be a good one.

Yeah... Well... Ugh...

This game is all too familiar. A combined 57-7 in two first halfs for Stanford over Arizona State.

Still a lot of time left and this offense can score in bunches, but they need to get going right now. And for gods sake, get a stop on defense. Force a turnover or something. (And hell, can we just have Kelly have the option to either either go for it on fourth down or pooch punt it? Embarrassing.)

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Ohio State has been making a lot of dumb mistakes so far. They need to get it together if they're going to make it 25 straight. I still think tOSU is going to win, but I'm kind of pulling for MSU because I have a feeling that Florida State would blow out Ohio State in the championship.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

Now leave me alone. B)

Eh, I'll leave you alone after pointing out that I was making a generalized comment. The fanboys bit did kinda/sorta inspire that post, but it wasn't a dig at you, really. If anything, I tend to agree with the stuff about SEC fans, because it really is an entirely different pack mentality, and it's one that I really don't subscribe to.

As far as high on painkillers, well, that would probably be preferable at this point. To speak in an understated way, it hasn't been my favorite day today.

--

EDIT: I should edit this, because that last sentence isn't entirely true. In fact, for the difficulties I had, at times, for watching the SEC-CG, I did a little digging (emphasis on "little") and found a Youtube channel loaded with full game postings of several games, not only from recent weeks but also many games from prior seasons. In all likelihood, all these major games today will be posted in the coming days, and so whatever I missed I can rewatch as if from scratch. So, some tensions eased. But still not the best of days.

spacer.png

Archived