2013 NCAA FOOTBALL THREAD

LETSGOBLUEBEATMSU

Stanford has more losses and a worse one.

Picking #4 would have been a nightmare this season.

It would be almost every season. A clear #4 is a weird concept to begin with. In the BCS era, here are teams in the top 10 that ended the season with a legitimate claim at "we're number 4!":

2012 - Florida, Oregon, or Kansas State.

2011 - no controversy (LSU, Oklahoma State, Alabama, USC).

2010 - Wisconsin, Stanford, Ohio State, Michigan State, Boise State, or Nevada.

2009 - Florida, Cincinnati, or Boise State.

2008 - Alabama, USC, Penn State, Utah, Texas Tech, Boise State.

2007 - Georgia, VA Tech, USC, Mizzou, Kansas, Hawaii, WVU, or AZ State.

2006 - LSU, Louisville, Wisconsin, Oklahoma, USC, Boise State, or Auburn.

2005 - Ohio State, Notre Dame, Oregon, Auburn, Georgia, Miami, or LSU.

2004 - Cal, Utah, Texas, Louisville, or Boise State.

2003 - Michigan, Texas, Tennessee, Ohio State, Kansas State, Florida State, or Miami.

2002 - no controversy (Miami, Ohio State, Iowa, Georgia).

2001 - Nebraska, Maryland, or Illinois.

2000 - Washington, Oregon State, or Virginia Tech.

1999 - Wisconsin, Alabama, Tennessee, Kansas State, Michigan, Michigan State, or Marshall (#11, but undefeated).

1998 - Kansas State, Arizona, UCLA, Wisconsin, or Tulane.

Sorry about the word vomit (I was going to do the last 5 years, curiosity took over), but that should help demonstrate the muddled nature of finding the fourth-best team in the nation. It would have worked without controversy twice in 16 years. Presumably, #1 should be able to beat any team, so it shouldn't matter who their semifinal opponent is. Still, though, this solution will not be perfect. Far from it.

PJU85JF.png

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

DUH Ohio State finally plays a Top 25 team and are exposed for the fraud we all knew they were. Congrats to the Spartans and their fans on their first Rose Bowl appearance in a generation.

Congrats also goes out to the Auburn Tigers. With wins over #1 Alabama and #5 Mizzou, Auburn goes to the title game -- a game they rightfully deserved to be playing in regardless of what OSU did. For the first time since USC-Texas, I'm actually looking forward to the National Championship Game.

6uXNWAo.png

I love how Ohio State is suddenly "who we thought they were" and all the other bull- :censored: people are throwing around tonight. Was Stanford "who we thought they were" after losing to Utah? Is Oklahoma State "who we thought they were" after losing to Oklahoma today? I'll be the first to admit that Ohio State probably loses to FSU in the NCG, and that the Buckeyes were a little overrated this season, but I'd also like to point out that the odds-makers had Ohio State as 2.5 point favorites over Auburn at a neutral site. Does Michigan State get any credit for winning the Big Ten this season?

Ohio State is still paying the price for losing back to back NCG games in 2006 and 2007. People seem to forget that since then, we beat a pretty good Arkansas team in the Sugar Bowl and a pretty good Oregon team in the Rose Bowl. People also seem to forget that Ohio State has appeared in 9 BCS bowls and has won 6 of them. What else do they need to do to make up for the losses to Florida and LSU? I get that people don't like Ohio State and that's fine. I'd imagine to people who aren't Buckeyes fans, the team is a lot like the Cowboys, Red Sox, Canucks, etc. But this nonsense of acting like Ohio State is the special needs cousin to the "real" teams is as uninformed as it is ridiculous. This team went 24-1 over their last 25 games and their one loss was to a damned good Michigan State team. Can we stop acting like Ohio State is Northern Illinois with a bigger budget?

BB52Big.jpg

DUH Ohio State finally plays a Top 25 team and are exposed for the fraud we all knew they were. Congrats to the Spartans and their fans on their first Rose Bowl appearance in a generation.

Congrats also goes out to the Auburn Tigers. With wins over #1 Alabama and #5 Mizzou, Auburn goes to the title game -- a game they rightfully deserved to be playing in regardless of what OSU did. For the first time since USC-Texas, I'm actually looking forward to the National Championship Game.

FWIW, Cujo, Ohio doesn't like you either.

BB52Big.jpg

I love how Ohio State is suddenly "who we thought they were" and all the other bull- :censored: people are throwing around tonight. Was Stanford "who we thought they were" after losing to Utah? Is Oklahoma State "who we thought they were" after losing to Oklahoma today? I'll be the first to admit that Ohio State probably loses to FSU in the NCG, and that the Buckeyes were a little overrated this season, but I'd also like to point out that the odds-makers had Ohio State as 2.5 point favorites over Auburn at a neutral site. Does Michigan State get any credit for winning the Big Ten this season?

Ohio State is still paying the price for losing back to back NCG games in 2006 and 2007. People seem to forget that since then, we beat a pretty good Arkansas team in the Sugar Bowl and a pretty good Oregon team in the Rose Bowl. People also seem to forget that Ohio State has appeared in 9 BCS bowls and has won 6 of them. What else do they need to do to make up for the losses to Florida and LSU? I get that people don't like Ohio State and that's fine. I'd imagine to people who aren't Buckeyes fans, the team is a lot like the Cowboys, Red Sox, Canucks, etc. But this nonsense of acting like Ohio State is the special needs cousin to the "real" teams is as uninformed as it is ridiculous. This team went 24-1 over their last 25 games and their one loss was to a damned good Michigan State team. Can we stop acting like Ohio State is Northern Illinois with a bigger budget?

This is something that's always weirded me out about college football. It has a strange element of memory that oddly enough goes beyond fans and has a significant impact with rankings.

The 1973 Ohio St./Michigan thing had a really interesting documentary done about it recently that is still somewhat relevant today.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

This is something that's always weirded me out about college football. It has a strange element of memory that oddly enough goes beyond fans and has a significant impact with rankings.

The 1973 Ohio St./Michigan thing had a really interesting documentary done about it recently that is still somewhat relevant today.

It's the sport where past seasons are the most irrelevant, yet are given the most importantance.

jNTsTyQ.png

I love how Ohio State is suddenly "who we thought they were" and all the other bull- :censored: people are throwing around tonight.

(things)

Can we stop acting like Ohio State is Northern Illinois with a bigger budget?

It irks me too because it totally undermines MSU's effort tonight. No one has been able to stop OSU the way they did tonight. They're a very talented team that faced the top defense in the country with 3 or 4 future NFL players on that side of the ball -- they lost to a good team, not an Illinois or Indiana. 24-1 in two seasons is no fluke in a BCS conference, down seasons or not.

Auburn also lost to LSU. Something that seems to be forgotten here and there.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I love how Ohio State is suddenly "who we thought they were" and all the other bull- :censored: people are throwing around tonight.

(things)

Can we stop acting like Ohio State is Northern Illinois with a bigger budget?

It irks me too because it totally undermines MSU's effort tonight. No one has been able to stop OSU the way they did tonight. They're a very talented team that faced the top defense in the country with 3 or 4 future NFL players on that side of the ball -- they lost to a good team, not an Illinois or Indiana. 24-1 in two seasons is no fluke in a BCS conference, down seasons or not.

drwhorain_zps02cf7b93.gif

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Just wondering, if FSU had also lost would that have set up an Auburn-Alabama rematch in the championship? Seems a bit strange that a team that didn't even play in their conference championship would jump into the title game.

Absolutely. Who'd have jumped them?

6fQjS3M.png

Sorry, Michigan State played a great game. But I put this loss on tOSU's coaching staff. Luke Fickle needs to go. His lack of defense, terrible schemes, and poor play calls are unacceptable.

That being said, I put more blame on Urban Meyer and the offense. It is inexcusable on 3rd and 3 to not run Hyde two times up the middle. The MSU defense couldn't stop him for anything under 4 yards per carry. They should have ridden Hyde all day. I believe there for 4 or 5 3rd down plays where it was a designed QB draw where they split all 5 receivers out and had no one in the backfield except Miller. The MSU defense was prepared and stopped it all but once. Its inexcusable to line Carlos Hyde out on the wing as a receiver (they did this multiple times as well).

Meyer and the coaching staff tried to out coach MSU and they ended up out coaching themselves. They were trying to run Hyde off the tackles instead of between tackles and they were trying to run Miller between the tackles instead of outside the tackles.

This was a battle of the unstoppable force vs. the immovable object. If I'm tOSU and I'm going strength vs. strength... I'm going to lose doing what I do best... running the football down their throats. Meyer got too cute and the Buckeyes got burned.

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

Just wondering, if FSU had also lost would that have set up an Auburn-Alabama rematch in the championship? Seems a bit strange that a team that didn't even play in their conference championship would jump into the title game.

Absolutely. Who'd have jumped them?

Stanford. And there is precedent for it.

In 2007, LSU jumped from #7 to #2 in the last weekend. All it took was #1 Missouri losing, #2 West Virginia losing, #3 Ohio State winning, #4 Georgia being idle, #5 Kansas being idle, and #6 Virginia Tech winning (but had lost to LSU 48-7 earlier that season).

For all the flak the pollsters get, they tend to do a good job in getting the rankings right (at least, the top 10-15) once all the games have been played. There is a sort of "market correction" once every game's been played.

Sorry, Michigan State played a great game. But I put this loss on tOSU's coaching staff. Luke Fickle needs to go. His lack of defense, terrible schemes, and poor play calls are unacceptable.

You fail to realize that Withers is a co-coordinator on defense with Fickle and he is in charge of the safeties. Don't worry as he is targeted for the FAU job. Hell, since the FAU AD came from Ohio State, he is dead set to hire a member of Urban's staff: Withers, Fickle or even Drayton.

Archived