2013 NCAA FOOTBALL THREAD

LETSGOBLUEBEATMSU

The best part of the holiday season is here. It's Bowl season. I'm probably in the minority, but I love all the bowl games. The more the merrier! The "small" bowls are always good for some really entertaining games.

Random thoughts...

I was really hoping my Toledo Rockets would get a bowl bid. Oh well, it's not like they're a huge draw.

As great as I think it is that both Baylor and UCF are BCS Bowl bound, I gotta think selling tickets for that match-up is going to be a tough gig for the Fiesta Bowl.

I'm good with a trip to the Orange Bowl for my Buckeyes. And I'm not going to lie - I'm more than a little relieved we're not playing Alabama. While the Buckeyes certainly aren't the "frauds" some people make them out to be, they aren't quite at the "elite" level either. Definitely a top 15 team but not quite a top 5.

Hopefully, this is finally the year that I actually go to the Little Caesar's Bowl. I've been trying to get to it for the past few years but something always comes up and I end up not going.

BB52Big.jpg

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My sympathies to the players, staff, alumni and fans of CMU, FAU, ULM, SJSU, USA, TSU, Toledo, Troy, UTSA and WKU...you all had GREAT seasons and deserved to have gotten in over some of the 6-6 teams who did get in...but politics kept you out.

Just you wait...next year, JUSTICE comes to the FBS.

On one hand this is upsetting to the players and fans. On the other hand, this is a frickin' gift to the athletic departments, which now doesn't have to take a loss on sending the players to some third rate southern town for an exhibition game.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

My sympathies to the players, staff, alumni and fans of CMU, FAU, ULM, SJSU, USA, TSU, Toledo, Troy, UTSA and WKU...you all had GREAT seasons and deserved to have gotten in over some of the 6-6 teams who did get in...but politics kept you out.

On one hand this is upsetting to the players and fans. On the other hand, this is a frickin' gift to the athletic departments, which now doesn't have to take a loss on sending the players to some third rate southern town for an exhibition game.

On the other hand, it could cost the athletic departments a couple hundred thousand dollars.

File:Virginia Tech Hokies logo.svg

On the other hand, it could cost the athletic departments a couple hundred thousand dollars.

No, bowl games are net money losers for athletic departments. Especially the minor bowls.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

http://espn.go.com/college-football/bowls12/story/_/id/8820569/

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-12-23/college-football-winners-still-lose-as-bowl-game-expenses-exceed-payout.html

http://jamessantelli.wordpress.com/2013/05/01/bowl-games-prosper-despite-schools-losing-money-on-unsold-tickets/

http://deadspin.com/5986403/ohio-university-made-a-bowl-game-won-big-and-lost-78569

I don't think all those loses are can be chalked up to "marketing." Its more about presidents, coaches, AD's and staff's getting bonuses, vacations, and gifts. And Bowl Committees lining their pockets. I'm fairly libertarian when it comes to financial stuff but bowls are a scam.

I was pretty surprised to see Ohio U get invited to a bowl game. I thought we were done after that miserable end to the season. 5 straight appearances in a bowl for a school that when I got there in 2006 hadn't been to a bowl since the Tangerine Bowl in the late 60's. (I'm well aware a lot of that has to do with the increased number of bowl games)

I hope East Carolina wears their zombie pirates helmet.

Helmets-ECU-1.jpg

PvO6ZWJ.png

The best part of the holiday season is here. It's Bowl season. I'm probably in the minority, but I love all the bowl games. The more the merrier! The "small" bowls are always good for some really entertaining games.

Random thoughts...

I was really hoping my Toledo Rockets would get a bowl bid. Oh well, it's not like they're a huge draw.

As great as I think it is that both Baylor and UCF are BCS Bowl bound, I gotta think selling tickets for that match-up is going to be a tough gig for the Fiesta Bowl.

Baylor is going to sell out their allotment easily. There are Baptist everywhere and more than Disciples of Christ (TCU) and they sold out their BCS allotments with a smaller alumni base. Baylor is the world's largest Baptist university and ticket deposits were actually due last Wednesday.

UCF is going to be the problem since they rooted for NIU to win and Fiesta Bowl tickets are more expensive than either the Orange or Sugar.

Are you kidding me? Every bowl game is usually nationally televised, it spreads out word of the program regardless.

That and $3.00 (goddamn inflation) gets you a cup of coffee, junior.

Today, we are all otaku.

Random thoughts...

Baylor is going to sell out their allotment easily. There are Baptist everywhere and more than Disciples of Christ (TCU) and they sold out their BCS allotments with a smaller alumni base. Baylor is the world's largest Baptist university and ticket deposits were actually due last Wednesday.

UCF is going to be the problem since they rooted for NIU to win and Fiesta Bowl tickets are more expensive than either the Orange or Sugar.

So pretty much what I said.

BB52Big.jpg

Another SEC holdover. At least LSU was the only team to lose from the SEC in the 2012 BCS. Oh, how ironic it was their rival from Alabama.

How can you not love this guy. Never stop posting, Goober

Spurs2017_HomeSignature.png.d781df3b4d5c0e482d74d6a47c072475.pngDortmund2017_HomeSignature.png.277fd43b7b71e5d54e4c655f30c9a1e6.png

Another SEC holdover. At least LSU was the only team to lose from the SEC in the 2012 BCS. Oh, how ironic it was their rival from Alabama.

Actually, it could have perfect symmetry for this "BCS+1 era" (2006-2013), had LSU won that year. Eight years, four SEC teams (Florida, LSU, Alabama, Auburn [should they beat FSU]), two titles a piece. Coincidentally, that year was when the national championship game was decided in New Orleans in a calendar leap year, as was the case with the 2003 and 2007 championship LSU years, winning leap year bowl games in Louisiana.

But then Alabama treated the whole nation to a kicking snooze fest, sucked the Tiger crowd out of the Superdome, and became the quasant, unival fan-base boasting the whole, "SEC, SEC, SEC!!!" conference troll-chant from that January 2012 game-on.

While I have to endure another month of these conference trolls boasting about their conference again, I find no fault specifically in this Auburn team, and am looking forward to a competitive game. Of all SEC teams and fans I couldn't endure, Alabama's the worst.

Was going to try and go to the Gator Bowl, but not sure how eager I am after the replay of last year's matchup.

Well, Jacksonville may smell better in the winter. There's that consolation.

We're debating on going to the Music City Bowl. Up until the last week, Georgia seemed to be in position for that bowl. We always have fun in Nashville, and the allure of seeing Georgia playing in the afternoon and catching a Predators game that evening was enticing. Now Georgia Tech is playing in that bowl. Not that we'll mind being Ole Miss fans for three hours....

Was going to try and go to the Gator Bowl, but not sure how eager I am after the replay of last year's matchup.

Well, Jacksonville may smell better in the winter. There's that consolation.

We're debating on going to the Music City Bowl. Up until the last week, Georgia seemed to be in position for that bowl. We always have fun in Nashville, and the allure of seeing Georgia playing in the afternoon and catching a Predators game that evening was enticing. Now Georgia Tech is playing in that bowl. Not that we'll mind being Ole Miss fans for three hours....

Not sure how the secondary market is going to be for the the Music City Bowl, but they are running a three game package: Bowl game tix, Preds game, and Titans game for under $150. Downside is that the Titans play the Texans.

Archived