2013 NCAA FOOTBALL THREAD

LETSGOBLUEBEATMSU

Hopefully the Hornets can make it 3 years running beating a PAC-12 team tonight.

Ha!

I'm gonna throw a somewhat bold prediction out there now. By the end of the year, Clowney isn't gonna be the D lineman everyone is talking about. It's gonna be Will Sutton.

I want to agree with you, Sutton is a great guy, great leader. I hope he has a great year where everyone is talking about him. But when Sutton is coming in 20lbs heavier and not full of muscle. That us what worries me.

Honestly, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised by that. Sutton's an absolute beast.

That being said, I doubt Clowney will disappear from the conversation. There's no such thing as a one-man d-line, after all.

I posted it last week, but Clowney and Sutton had essentially the same exact stat line last year. Difference is that Sutton doesn't play in the SEC and didn't have that one bone-jarring, .gif-able hit in a bowl game that played on repeat all offseason to feed into the hype machine.

I don't get why people say that. They are almost always out of conference fans. If you realized who Clowney was from his hit in the bowl game, then you probably don't watch a lot of SEC football.

I'm just as sick as Clowney is of his own hype, and I won't discredit Sutton because I will admit, I don't get to watch a lot of ASU football. However, there are certain statistics that aren't recorded to show the impact Clowney has on a game.

It isn't just sacks, tackles and hurries. It's being double and triple teamed. Every play. He has more holding on him that goes uncalled than the average defensive player because he still gets by quickly. With the spotlight he has this season, almost every play is going away from him...yet he is still at the ball when the whistle blows. Everyone listens to ESPN and takes their word for everything, and yeah- he was pretty tired last week...but he was all over the field and was off the line with 100% each snap.

Not too mention, his attention just allows two other underrated defensive linemen in Kelcy Quarles and Chaz Sutton to make big plays.

So again, I haven't watched enough of Will Sutton to make a opinion on comparison...but is a great college defensive lineman or he is a complete gamechanger- someone the other team gameplans around...like a RB or QB in most cases?

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I knew who Clowney was before. You don't have to sell me on him.

All I was saying was that along with Clowney being a great player, he also had that one clip that everyone saw (even the casual college football or NFL fan that may not have known either Clowney or Sutton) that got played on repeat all offseason. This builds up the hype machine and puts Clowney on the mind of every college football fan and every NFL fan looking towards the top pick in the draft next year. Barring injury, Sutton will probably be a first rounder too, but if he had that one signature crunch on a national stage like Clowney did, he might be up there in the same daily conversations as Clowney.

And I will say, I still think Clowney is probably a better player overall, but based on equal stats and his own impact on the defense, Sutton should be getting more recognition than he has. Part of that difference in publicity, IMO, is the SEC factor and that .gif in your signature. Unfortunately, that's just how it is.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Hopefully the Hornets can make it 3 years running beating a PAC-12 team tonight.

Ha!

I'm gonna throw a somewhat bold prediction out there now. By the end of the year, Clowney isn't gonna be the D lineman everyone is talking about. It's gonna be Will Sutton.

I want to agree with you, Sutton is a great guy, great leader. I hope he has a great year where everyone is talking about him. But when Sutton is coming in 20lbs heavier and not full of muscle. That us what worries me.

Honestly, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised by that. Sutton's an absolute beast.

That being said, I doubt Clowney will disappear from the conversation. There's no such thing as a one-man d-line, after all.

I posted it last week, but Clowney and Sutton had essentially the same exact stat line last year. Difference is that Sutton doesn't play in the SEC and didn't have that one bone-jarring, .gif-able hit in a bowl game that played on repeat all offseason to feed into the hype machine.

I don't get why people say that. They are almost always out of conference fans. If you realized who Clowney was from his hit in the bowl game, then you probably don't watch a lot of SEC football.

I'm just as sick as Clowney is of his own hype, and I won't discredit Sutton because I will admit, I don't get to watch a lot of ASU football. However, there are certain statistics that aren't recorded to show the impact Clowney has on a game.

It isn't just sacks, tackles and hurries. It's being double and triple teamed. Every play. He has more holding on him that goes uncalled than the average defensive player because he still gets by quickly. With the spotlight he has this season, almost every play is going away from him...yet he is still at the ball when the whistle blows. Everyone listens to ESPN and takes their word for everything, and yeah- he was pretty tired last week...but he was all over the field and was off the line with 100% each snap.

Not too mention, his attention just allows two other underrated defensive linemen in Kelcy Quarles and Chaz Sutton to make big plays.

So again, I haven't watched enough of Will Sutton to make a opinion on comparison...but is a great college defensive lineman or he is a complete gamechanger- someone the other team gameplans around...like a RB or QB in most cases?

Sorry ASU fans, but THIS was the truth.

File:Virginia Tech Hokies logo.svg

I feel like ESPN needs to make a 30-minute show dedicated to Jadeveon Clowney, named "The Clowney Show"

It can air everyday, on Mondays they will have a 5-man panel grade his performance, report-card style. A-F.

For every other day, they could probably just replay the "hit" for 30 straight minutes...

so today is Florida's biggest non-conference not fsu game in a while, oh wait its still in the state of florida........looking at there future schedules, im starting to really hate the gators,how can you respect a program when thay have not traveled out of the state of Florida for a non-conference game in over a quarter-century!!! what? are they scared to play gt or Clemson or they think "Florida State" is good enough? what a bunch of pansies....

so today is Florida's biggest non-conference not fsu game in a while, oh wait its still in the state of florida........looking at there future schedules, im starting to really hate the gators,how can you respect a program when thay have not traveled out of the state of Florida for a non-conference game in over a quarter-century!!! what? are they scared to play gt or Clemson or they think "Florida State" is good enough? what a bunch of pansies....

What the HELL is this supposed to mean, "Florida State" being good enough, as if to say Florida State is some run-of-the-mill university.

Florida-Florida State was the premier rivalry in college football during the '90s, and both teams went into last year's meeting 10-1. Aside from the last few years of Bobby Bowden's run there, Florida State has been one of the top ten football programs over the past twenty years, and was probably THE most successful program during the '90s, when they won two championships and went to the championship game five teams, in the process producing countless NFL stars in the process.

Do I wish, in general, they may have a tougher schedule at times OOC? Sure, because I enjoy seeing Florida play good football teams. I enjoy the fact that they play Miami today, and I hope there is some way in the future that rivalry can get restored (finances are a bitch). Just because Florida State and Miami play in the state of Florida doesn't mean a damn thing; it's not like it's comfortable territory up at Doak Campbell Stadium.

spacer.png

What the HELL is this supposed to mean, "Florida State" being good enough, as if to say Florida State is some run-of-the-mill university.

Florida-Florida State was the premier rivalry in college football during the '90s, and both teams went into last year's meeting 10-1. Aside from the last few years of Bobby Bowden's run there, Florida State has been one of the top ten football programs over the past twenty years, and was probably THE most successful program during the '90s, when they won two championships and went to the championship game five teams, in the process producing countless NFL stars in the process.

Do I wish, in general, they may have a tougher schedule at times OOC? Sure, because I enjoy seeing Florida play good football teams. I enjoy the fact that they play Miami today, and I hope there is some way in the future that rivalry can get restored (finances are a bitch). Just because Florida State and Miami play in the state of Florida doesn't mean a damn thing; it's not like it's comfortable territory up at Doak Campbell Stadium.

but still its like oh fsu every year? ok thats good enough for us along with a mac team, a sun belt team and a FCS team, rivaly games are a given mostly so its gonna happen every year, the fact FSU has that history they seem to think that its good enough as a "tough non-conference game".........but again the fact they have not left florida for a non-conference game in OVER 25 years, is IMO pathetic, it shows the bedsides fsu there are scared to play a decent team ooc, its not like they cant afford to go and travel to georgia, SC, NC or even virgina,.........just because u have 2 good teams in your state dont mean you should be afraid to leave, i mean you dont have teams in CAL, or TX with that issue right??....im not sure who is to blame the pres or the AD....maybe this will change with the playoff, one can onbly hope

but still its like oh fsu every year? ok thats good enough for us along with a mac team, a sun belt team and a FCS team, rivaly games are a given mostly so its gonna happen every year.........but again the fact they have not left florida for a non-conference game in OVER 25 years, is IMO pathetic, it shows the bedsides fsu there are scared to play a decent team ooc, its not like they cant afford to go and travel to georgia, SC, NC or even virgina,.........just because u have 2 good teams in your state dont mean you should be afraid to leave, i mean you dont have teams in CAL, or TX with that issue right??....im not sure who is to blame the pres or the AD....maybe this will change with the playoff, one can onbly hope

Keep this in mind, the SEC conference schedule is BRUTAL. Especially when you play South Carolina, LSU, and Georgia every year, plus playing FSU in non-conference is pretty tough. Not to mention occasionally playing Alabama, Auburn, or A&M. I wouldn't blame Florida for wanting schools to come to them so they don't have to travel before conference play starts.

Keep this in mind, the SEC conference schedule is BRUTAL.

They also get annual games against Missouri, Kentucky, and Tennessee, so *MDWM*

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Yes, we know every conference has cupcakes.

Also, once upon a time Tennessee was actually a decent program.

Yes, so let's not push the "SEC is BRUTAL" meme here. Yes the SEC has great teams, but the schedule isn't close to being the gauntlet that people claim it is. There are rivals.com boards for that crap. There's a reason the SEC finished the regular season with 6 10-win teams last year and it's not because the SEC had that many elite teams.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So its ridiculously early still, but the best team on Louisville's schedule is currently losing by 14 to Illinois.

ACK! ACK! ACK!

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Yes, so let's not push the "SEC is BRUTAL" meme here. Yes the SEC has great teams, but the schedule isn't close to being the gauntlet that people claim it is. There are rivals.com boards for that crap. There's a reason the SEC finished the regular season with 6 10-win teams last year and it's not because the SEC had that many elite teams.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So its ridiculously early still, but the best team on Louisville's schedule is currently losing by 14 to Illinois.

ACK! ACK! ACK!

auctally id say the best team on there schedule might be UCF

Florida maximizes the revenue. In doing so, they can essentially have their demands met. Their first demand is that they host seven home games a year. No reason to change what works: three national titles, seven SEC titles, and ten SEC East titles.

Florida maximizes the revenue. In doing so, they can essentially have their demands met. Their first demand is that they host seven home games a year. No reason to change what works: three national titles, seven SEC titles, and ten SEC East titles.

its why i think there should be a rule that you go and plan 1 non conference road game a year every year..............i still think the playoff will change how teams schedule hopefully for the better

2 games and Miami,(oh) is/was getting creamed in both games, think those jerseys and helmets are a curse??

We're winning?! It's amazing how much of a difference a competent play caller can make. The offense has Cincinnati on their heels and Cincinnati couldn't move the ball at all until their last drive of the half. I hope they can keep this up, it's a lot more fun watching football when the season isn't a total trainwreck.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

Archived