2013 NCAA FOOTBALL THREAD

LETSGOBLUEBEATMSU

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In a way creating a Quixotic trophy case that will never be filled pretty much is on par with that annual Boise State "debate". Of course if we want to discuss Virginia Tech's history, I believe the program built itself pre-Beamer by kicking the crap out of a bunch of cupcakes. So yeah....

Also for 2010, Appalachian State was the defending I-AA champion and would go on to win it again in 2007. 2010 James Madison finished 8th in their Conference and missed the I-AA playoffs. That looks plenty bad to me.

You missed the main point, which was the fact that Tech was playing on 4-day rest,

Also, when you go "futher" back and say Tech was kicking the crap out of cupcakes was because Tech couldn't find a conference to join, once the joined the Big East they were GOOD. And by good I mean Top-3 in the conference good. And then we went on to the ACC, where we have won 4 titles, and massed 8 straight 10-win years from 2004 to 2012. You don't have to win national championships to be considered a powerhouse,

The point is, Tech is a lot better of a program than you think, and if you love to point out that my team sucks, who's yours?

File:Virginia Tech Hokies logo.svg

Somehow Notre Dame manages to find decent opponents, so I'm not sure I buy the "we needed a Conference" excuse. And the Big East was kind of not good even before getting raided by the ACC. Pitt, Syracuse, Miami under sanctions, West Virginia, Boston College, Syracuse, and Temple do not a murderer's row make. Kind of like running roughshod over an ACC that saw both Florida members simultaneously nosedive and didn't really have anybody besides Tech who was decent.

And the protestations for James Madison don't hold much weight; Virginia Tech should have the depth to overcome a short week when playing a I-AA opponent. You have 22 additional full scholarships for cryin' out loud.

And I love to point out how my own team sucks, so have fun with that.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Somehow Notre Dame manages to find decent opponents, so I'm not sure I buy the "we needed a Conference" excuse. And the Big East was kind of not good even before getting raided by the ACC. Pitt, Syracuse, Miami under sanctions, West Virginia, Boston College, Syracuse, and Temple do not a murderer's row make. Kind of like running roughshod over an ACC that saw both Florida members simultaneously nosedive and didn't really have anybody besides Tech who was decent.

And the protestations for James Madison don't hold much weight; Virginia Tech should have the depth to overcome a short week when playing a I-AA opponent. You have 22 additional full scholarships for cryin' out loud.

From 91-03 Miami had 1 losing season, 7 10+ win seasons, and 2 national championships, sanctions didn't slow them down, West Virginia and Syracuse were actually quite decent programs, Pitt was on hard times. BC, Temple, and Rutgers were the cupcakes of the conference, not that bad of a conference actually.

As the Florida schools nosedived, schools like Georgia Tech and Boston College grew to national relevance, Wake Forest had a 10-win year. Florida St. also wasn't that bad, and Clemson has really blown up in recent years, so the old Big East and ACC weren't as bad as depicted. Also, no matter what conference you are from 10+ wins for 8 years is pretty frickin good.

How does Notre Dame schedule well despite being an independent? Because of that TV deal with NBC, any school is going to fall head-over-heels to be on national TV to play Notre Dame, those services weren't quite available back then.

Jameis Winston so far is looking like he's the real deal. I'm very impressed about his maturity and his playmaking ability. FSU fans should be lucky to have someone as talented as Winston and he could be a Heisman candidate if he plays like this throughout the year.

Orlando%20Magic_zpsjn8kx3lf.png

Jameis Winston so far is looking like he's the real deal. I'm very impressed about his maturity and his playmaking ability. FSU fans should be lucky to have someone as talented as Winston and he could be a Heisman candidate if he plays like this throughout the year.

He might have a johnny-Manziel type season (hopefully without the headcase off-the-field problems)

Hey um, I love the fact that my Seminoles are breaking feet all off in Pitt's arse tonight, but for real, its just one game. Good confidence builder, but still, one gsme.

Let's see what happens once conference play comes around.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Hey um, I love the fact that my Seminoles are breaking feet all off in Pitt's arse tonight, but for real, its just one game. Good confidence builder, but still, one gsme.

Let's see what happens once conference play comes around.

This is conference play....
Pitt is in the ACC now, ain't they? All this conference switching going on...I was still thinking Big East for some reason. (This is what happens when you spend two years on the road...and when the NCAA keeps re-aligning all the time.)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

. Also, no matter what conference you are from 10+ wins for 8 years is pretty frickin good.

So 10 over the last 11 would also be pretty frickin good, correct?

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

From 91-03 Miami had 1 losing season, 7 10+ win seasons, and 2 national championships, sanctions didn't slow them down, West Virginia and Syracuse were actually quite decent programs, Pitt was on hard times. BC, Temple, and Rutgers were the cupcakes of the conference, not that bad of a conference actually.

As the Florida schools nosedived, schools like Georgia Tech and Boston College grew to national relevance, Wake Forest had a 10-win year. Florida St. also wasn't that bad, and Clemson has really blown up in recent years, so the old Big East and ACC weren't as bad as depicted. Also, no matter what conference you are from 10+ wins for 8 years is pretty frickin good.

How does Notre Dame schedule well despite being an independent? Because of that TV deal with NBC, any school is going to fall head-over-heels to be on national TV to play Notre Dame, those services weren't quite available back then.

Then pony up and pay a little bit more to get a better opponent to Blacksburg...

We've never played an FCS and I don't think that'll be changing any time soon. And we're damn proud of it.

6fQjS3M.png

Clemson got a #1 vote.

I'm sorry, but although I hate Clemson more than most...that is ridiculous. A preseason #8 beats a preseason #5 by 3 points at home in the first week of the season...and a voter thinks they are the best in the nation? GTFO.

Funny how the polls work for some of these guys...because if South Carolina beats Georgia next week between the hedges, then I guess "Georgia just wasn't that good. Stay put where you are in the polls."

Hahahahaha! I saw that sign shared by the NFL Memes facebook page. I though it was kind of funny. There was also a Georgia Bad Luck Brian picture.

@loganaweaver - Twitter / @loganaweaver - Instagram / Nike Vapor Untouchable Football Template  / Logan's Logos

Clemson got a #1 vote.

I'm sorry, but although I hate Clemson more than most...that is ridiculous. A preseason #8 beats a preseason #5 by 3 points at home in the first week of the season...and a voter thinks they are the best in the nation? GTFO.

Funny how the polls work for some of these guys...because if South Carolina beats Georgia next week between the hedges, then I guess "Georgia just wasn't that good. Stay put where you are in the polls."

Doug Lesmerises of The Cleveland Plain-Dealer was the AP voter who gave Clemson his #1 vote. He also voted LSU #2, thus Alabama was his #3.

He explains his ballot here.

For those of you who are new to thinking I'm nuts, as one of 60 AP voters and one of three in Ohio along with Bill Rabinowitz and Matt McCoy, I vote by these principles:

* A team's ranking the week before doesn't matter. That especially holds true with the preseason poll, which is nothing more than a half-educated guess.

* My ballot is a reflection of what happened, not a prediction of what will happen.

* Results are what matters the most. So my top teams this week are the teams I thought had the best wins. To me, those were clearly Clemson's win and LSU's win over TCU. Most other wins were either OK wins over OK wins, or dominant wins over lousy teams, and they're a little harder to judge. But beating Georgia and TCU, that's not bad.

This idea makes my ballot an outlier in the early going when there are fewer games to judge. But as teams build their resumes, my ballot looks less strange. Because, shockingly, later in the year other voters start voting more on results and less on perception as well.

Finally, I don't hate or love your team.

Historically, Lesmerises is one of the more volatile ballots, especially early in the season. You can look at his history at Pollspeak.

Clemson got a #1 vote.

Who has a better win than Clemson does?

Today, we are all otaku.

Clemson got a #1 vote.

Who has a better win than Clemson does?

So is that the mission of the AP Poll? To rank who had the best most recent win?

Or is it to rank, in order, who they feel are the best teams in college football?

The idea of a preseason ranking being anything more than crap to talk about during the offseason is sillier than ranking Clemson first in the country. Who cares if an 8 beat a 5? What's 8 and what's 5? They hadn't played any games yet!

EDIT: strike this post if they had in fact played games

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

The idea of a preseason ranking being anything more than crap to talk about during the offseason is sillier than ranking Clemson first in the country. Who cares if an 8 beat a 5? What's 8 and what's 5? They hadn't played any games yet!

EDIT: strike this post if they had in fact played games

They had not, and you're absolutely right.

BB52Big.jpg

Archived