NBA Votes Against Sacramento Kings' Relocation To Seattle

Dexter Morgan

• Replies 584
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No way on earth would Selig let them in MLB.

Jeff Loria's been allowed to ruin TWO MLB franchises.... just sayin'.

At the very least Loria's got money, even if he is a world-class tool.

The NHL's perfect for the Maloofs though. You haven't actually needed money to own a NHL team since the 80s.

Based on what I've see today, and over the past few weeks, it looks like the Kings are staying put. The NBA had to choose between two arena offers, and chose the one with (IMO) a lower potential ceiling for revenue generation. Oh well.

I don't know what this means for Seattle. A coalition and agreement to build sports infrastructure is so rare and fragile, I think we're unlikely to see it again. Stern may have killed Seattle NBA basketball for longer than just another couple of years.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Based on what I've see today, and over the past few weeks, it looks like the Kings are staying put. The NBA had to choose between two arena offers, and chose the one with (IMO) a lower potential ceiling for revenue generation. Oh well.

I don't know what this means for Seattle. A coalition and agreement to build sports infrastructure is so rare and fragile, I think we're unlikely to see it again. Stern may have killed Seattle NBA basketball for longer than just another couple of years.

Historically the numbers would tend to disagree with you. The Kings were far more profitable than the Sonics in similar ownership and arena situations over their concurrent operating years together.

The NBA's not going to turn down people who want to pay them millions of dollars. The league will probably side with Sacramento on the Kings issue while at the same time awarding Seattle an expansion team. Or the Bobcats.

The NBA's not going to turn down people who want to pay them millions of dollars. The league will probably side with Sacramento on the Kings issue while at the same time awarding punishing Seattle an expansion team. Or with the Bobcats.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

The NBA's not going to turn down people who want to pay them millions of dollars. The league will probably side with Sacramento on the Kings issue while at the same time awarding Seattle an expansion team. Or the Bobcats.

It shouldn't be too hard to pry the Bobcats away from Jordan. If Chris Hansen's a good golfer, he could win them in a bet.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Everything is personal in the NBA. Stern stuck his neck out to help the Maloofs get a new arena in Sacramento and then they torpedoed themselves. Don't clown David Stern.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

No way on earth would Selig let them in MLB.

He did allow McCourt to run the freaking Dodgers, with only a Paypal debit card to his name. So there's that...

Unlike the clown who runs the NHL though, Selig seems like the type who'd learn from that mistake.

The NBA's not going to turn down people who want to pay them millions of dollars. The league will probably side with Sacramento on the Kings issue while at the same time awarding punishing Seattle an expansion team. Or with the Bobcats.

Hey Seattle. You're get the Supersonics back e546104-2_zps034855a5.png

The Seattle Times switched to pay-to-read, and I'm out of free reads, but their website says Hansen's group increased their bid by $25 million.

The Maloofs are making bank on this. Everyone else looks like a jerk.

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

The Seattle Times switched to pay-to-read, and I'm out of free reads, but their website says Hansen's group increased their bid by $25 million.

It's confirmed. Hansen is now bidding on a valuation of $550 million for the Kings. And word is the Sac group hasn't actually put their bid in writing to the Maloofs yet. On top of that the minority 7% share that was up for auction has gone to Hansen as well after the Sac minority owner pulled his bid for it as well.

It would seem momentum has swung decidedly back to Seattle's favor.

It's confirmed. Hansen is now bidding on a valuation of $550 million for the Kings. And word is the Sac group hasn't actually put their bid in writing to the Maloofs yet. On top of that the minority 7% share that was up for auction has gone to Hansen as well after the Sac minority owner pulled his bid for it as well.

It would seem momentum has swung decidedly back to Seattle's favor.

This assumes the NBA allows Seattle to actually make the adjustment.

On the flip side $550 million sounds like quite the expansion fee.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Who knows: http://sportsillustr...2_a13&eref=sihp

Where will the Kings play next season? The NBA's heart says Sacramento, and its head says Seattle.

The wallet favors Seattle as well, following a decision late Friday by its potential ownership group to raise its overall bid to a league-record $550 million. Prior to kicking in the additional $25 million, the Seattle group already had an agreement with the Maloof family to buy 65 percent of the Kings.

The sentiment of maintaining the team's roots continues to benefit the potential ownership group in Sacramento. However, the dollars and facts that separate the two competing bids stand decidedly in favor of a move to the Pacific Northwest, according to a league source who attended Seattle's presentation to eight NBA owners last week in New York.

"We've never had a situation like this," said commissioner David Stern last week. Instead of calling for a vote on the future of the Kings at the board of governors meeting April 18-19, Stern warned of a delay on a final decision in order to give owners more time to analyze the choice between moving the team to Seattle and keeping it in Sacramento. The delay has created more time for Sacramento, which also presented its own plan to keep the Kings. Sacramento has been scrambling to assemble an ownership group and arena strategy that can compete with Seattle, which has been developing its plan for more than two years.

It is going to be a hard decision either way because something more than money is involved as Sacramento fights to keep its team. Seattle's fans understand the pain: Their Sonics were moved to Oklahoma City in 2008 because local government would not work with the NBA to build a new arena.

The passion of Seattle to regain what was lost was displayed throughout its presentation, in which the group, led by investor Chris Hansen -- and backed by Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer -- emphasized the strengths of its bid while relentlessly pointing out the weaknesses of Sacramento's plan. The league source told SI.com that the main points on behalf of Seattle included:

• A franchise in Seattle would pay into the NBA's new revenue-sharing plan, while Sacramento would be receiving bailouts from revenue-sharing.

• The economy of Seattle is growing, while Sacramento's is shrinking -- and media rights for an NBA franchise in Seattle would be almost double the rights fees earned by Sacramento.

• A new arena in Sacramento cannot be built within three years, as proposed by Sacramento mayor Kevin Johnson. Based on an intrinsic set of checks-and-balances in California that have delayed local stadium projects by the Giants and 49ers, the Kings can expect to need at least six years to complete a new arena in Sacramento. The current site for a new arena in downtown Sacramento may not be viable.

On paper, it really makes the most sense to move the franchise to Seattle. However, eff the NBA for letting it get to this position. These are two viable cities that should each have a team, right now. On the whole, I think Stern does a good job. His performance with the Hornets, Thunder, Sonics and Kings, however, has been terrible. He's not Bettman-level in throwing good money after bad, but he is stupidly leaving good money in good markets on the table for want of being the only game in town (Cliche bonus X3!).

The funny thing is that for all of Stern's desire to be the only team around, his biggest successes this season -- the Nuggets, Clippers, Heat and Knicks -- are each one among many teams in their markets. While the Thunder and Spurs do represent the Stern-approved "one and only" approach, the league is still at its best when traditional power markets are doing well.

I really don't think you can blame Stern for this. Had the Hornets gone to Oklahoma City like they should have then all of this could have been avoided. I don't think that was ever really an option though, because of the way the NFL handled things, crafting a narrative about a football team saving a city. I don't think Stern could have realistically left New Orleans after the NFL made such a spectacle.

Sure he could have. Market was still too stressed for the rigors of weekday regular-season play, owner wanted to cash out, NBA "felt bad" about taking state subsidies with such bigger priorities, team had to go. In exchange for sneaking out, New Orleans would get big NBA Cares grants, All-Star Games, and some share of broadcast revenue from keeping their games on Cox Sports or whatever it was. They could have swung it if they tried.

That said, it was really crappy of the NFL to do what they did and subject America to that awful, awful treacle of football saving New Orleans. Professional football, a sport that's ruined more lives than it's ever saved. Blow it out your ass, NFL.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived