NBA Votes Against Sacramento Kings' Relocation To Seattle

Dexter Morgan

Read an article about Sacramento's long-term debt, close to $2 billion. Any Sacto locals know if the previously agreed arena plan is part of that debt or in addition to?

Not really a surprise. Like most cities they're being drowned by their own employees and former employees retirement benefits. They'll undoubtedly end pensions* like many other cities are starting to do.

* unless you work for a public city union, which in turn, the mayor blames you for budget woes and raise your taxes to keep bloated public pensions going

Not sure what makes you think that will continue to fly. In San Diego I know they city recently voted to kill public pensions for everyone except police and fire and replace them with 401(k) style plans. Passed by a huge margin (over 2/3rds of voters). San Jose is working toward a similar goal. I'm sure you'll see most California cities at least follow suit. Pensions are an endangered species in California as they should be.

As for the arena, not sure if it's in addition or included. But either way it shouldn't matter since the public portion of the arena funding has included in the plan how they're going to be paying it off long term. So it would be a cost neutral proposition long term.

Forgive the off-topic quip, but what the hell makes police and fire so special that their unions get to be protected from this Teapublican-induced wave of "public unions are the anti-christ of taxpayers" sentiment?

Lets see, the fact that they risk their lives day in and day out to protect everyone else. I don't know. Maybe it's just me, but I find them a little more valuable.

• Replies 584
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Read an article about Sacramento's long-term debt, close to $2 billion. Any Sacto locals know if the previously agreed arena plan is part of that debt or in addition to?

Not really a surprise. Like most cities they're being drowned by their own employees and former employees retirement benefits. They'll undoubtedly end pensions* like many other cities are starting to do.

* unless you work for a public city union, which in turn, the mayor blames you for budget woes and raise your taxes to keep bloated public pensions going

Not sure what makes you think that will continue to fly. In San Diego I know they city recently voted to kill public pensions for everyone except police and fire and replace them with 401(k) style plans. Passed by a huge margin (over 2/3rds of voters). San Jose is working toward a similar goal. I'm sure you'll see most California cities at least follow suit. Pensions are an endangered species in California as they should be.

As for the arena, not sure if it's in addition or included. But either way it shouldn't matter since the public portion of the arena funding has included in the plan how they're going to be paying it off long term. So it would be a cost neutral proposition long term.

Forgive the off-topic quip, but what the hell makes police and fire so special that their unions get to be protected from this Teapublican-induced wave of "public unions are the anti-christ of taxpayers" sentiment?

Lets see, the fact that they risk their lives day in and day out to protect everyone else. I don't know. Maybe it's just me, but I find them a little more valuable.

Well, isn't the 401K more valuable and worthwhile than the simple pension? They should be first in line for the 401K.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

You excpecting either logic or consistency from teabaggers? Get used to disappointment.

KJ apparently announced that they lined up the competing local bid as promised. Mastrov & Burkle sorted out how they'll chop things up (team vs. arena). More apparently tomorrow:

http://www.cbssports...le-not-our-team

Apparently Burkle will have an ownership stake in the team, but Mastrov is the primary on that front with Burkle taking the arena. Also looks like there is a third silent equity investor as well. Not bad considering Sac only had a month to put this all together. Reportedly they submitted their full bid to the NBA board this morning as well. Now the waiting game begins leading up to April 18.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJqg_-wXnuU

KJ apparently announced that they lined up the competing local bid as promised. Mastrov & Burkle sorted out how they'll chop things up (team vs. arena). More apparently tomorrow:

http://www.cbssports...le-not-our-team

Apparently Burkle will have an ownership stake in the team, but Mastrov is the primary on that front with Burkle taking the arena. Also looks like there is a third silent equity investor as well. Not bad considering Sac only had a month to put this all together. Reportedly they submitted their full bid to the NBA board this morning as well. Now the waiting game begins leading up to April 18.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJqg_-wXnuU

Knowing the drama, the determination and the sleepless nights put in by Sacramento ("Here We Stay"), Seattle ("S.O.S." and "Sonicsgate") and all the other related groups in control of the Rochy/Cincy/KC/Sacra Kings/Royals franchise...

...I'd doubt they wanna settle their differences with a game of "Hungry Hungry Hippos."

Opposite situations - the NBA is trying to choose between good markets. The NHL is determined to hang on to bad ones, no matter the cost.

Yeah, I was only kidding about that. ^_^

I saw, I came, I left.

Opposite situations - the NBA is trying to choose between good markets. The NHL is determined to hang on to bad ones, no matter the cost.

So is the NBA. By all accounts, the New Orleans team should have left Louisiana anyway (especially the years after Hurricane Katrina) since the Cajun South is a football home, for the Saints, LSU Tigers and their high school teams. Basketball isn't nearly enough to fend football off the minds of these people.

But Stern has done all he's can to keep the Hornets/Pelicans in this lost market, from screwing the Lakers in the CP3 trade, to some speculation of fixing the draft lottery to get Anthony Davis.

Seriously, if Clay Bennett's "Pro Basketball LLC" firm had grabbed the Hornets and permanently moved them to OKC in a full time basis, the Sonics and Kings would still be alive. Sure each would still have stadium issues, but Howard Schultz never sees Bennett as an owner, which results in the Maloofs never hearing from the Microsoft bidder and these two cities would still have NBA teams in tact, without the relocation fears.

But Stern has done all he's can to keep the Hornets/Pelicans in this lost market, from screwing the Lakers in the CP3 trade

Wolverine_facepalm.gif

Firstly, Stern did not "screw" anyone. As de facto owner of the Hornets at the time, he was legally able under the rules of the league to decide not to go through with the trade.

And quite frankly, he was right to do so: the Lakers' trade would have been highway robbery. If the Lakers' trade went through, the league would still be owning the team now. Instead of being saddled with Odom and Pau sucking up their cap space, the Hornets got young talent and picks, and actually got sold. How is it bad for the league that Stern managed to avoid an Expos/Coyotes situation?

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Gasol wouldn't be sucking cap space, it would be Odom, Kevin Martin, Luis Scola, and Goran Dragic.

the worst helmets design to me is the Jacksonville jaguars hamlets from 1995 to 2012 because you can't see the logo vary wall

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/9033497/david-stern-says-sacramento-bid-keep-kings-not-quite-there

NBA commissioner David Stern said Friday night that the counteroffer to keep the Sacramento Kings from moving to Seattle needs to be increased financially before the league's owners even would consider the bid.

Speaking to reporters before the Golden State Warriors hosted the Houston Rockets, Stern said the Sacramento group's offer has some "very strong financial people behind it, but it is not quite there in terms of a comparison to the Seattle bid." He added that "unless it increases, it doesn't get to the state of consideration."

The league has scheduled a meeting April 3 in New York to avoid rushing debate on the issue. Representatives from Sacramento and Seattle will have a chance to present their case at that meeting, Stern said.

The NBA Board of Governors will convene April 18, when a vote is expected to take place on the sale and relocation of the Kings franchise. A sale of a franchise requires a three-fourths majority approval of owners, while relocation requires just a simple majority.

baltimoreravens.png

http://espn.go.com/n...not-quite-there

NBA commissioner David Stern said Friday night that the counteroffer to keep the Sacramento Kings from moving to Seattle needs to be increased financially before the league's owners even would consider the bid.

Speaking to reporters before the Golden State Warriors hosted the Houston Rockets, Stern said the Sacramento group's offer has some "very strong financial people behind it, but it is not quite there in terms of a comparison to the Seattle bid." He added that "unless it increases, it doesn't get to the state of consideration."

The league has scheduled a meeting April 3 in New York to avoid rushing debate on the issue. Representatives from Sacramento and Seattle will have a chance to present their case at that meeting, Stern said.

The NBA Board of Governors will convene April 18, when a vote is expected to take place on the sale and relocation of the Kings franchise. A sale of a franchise requires a three-fourths majority approval of owners, while relocation requires just a simple majority.

So Sacramento adds a new arena to sweeten the pot?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

So Sacramento adds a new arena to sweeten the pot?

A new arena wouldn't be a deal-sweetening add-on as a new building is already understood to be part of Sacramento's plan to save the Kings. Ron Burkle - owner of the NHL's Pittsburgh Penguins and Mark Mastrov's minority partner in the bid for the Kings - is leading the effort to get said arena built. In fact, said facility is seen as a linchpin of Mayor Kevin Johnson's plan to revitalize downtown Sacramento.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/hansen-announces-ticket-waitlist-seattle-001250315--nba.html

The prospective owner of the Sacramento Kings is calling on fans in Seattle to sign up for a ''priority ticket waitlist'' as a way to show the NBA how much interest there is in bringing pro basketball back to the area.

Chris Hansen made the announcement on his SonicsArena.com website on Monday. It was his first statement since the announcement of the sale of the Kings from the Maloof family to Hansen and Microsoft Chief Executive Steve Ballmer on Jan. 21. Hansen and Ballmer have a signed agreement to acquire a 65 percent stake in the Kings for $341 million from the Maloofs. That sale is pending league approval.

Hansen said no inference should be drawn between the start of a ticket waitlist and the efforts in closing the purchase of the Kings and relocating them to Seattle for the 2013-14 season.

''We are in the midst of working through the approval and relocation process with the NBA, and we would expect a determination to be made at the Board of Governors meeting in mid-April,'' Hansen wrote.

baltimoreravens.png

• 2 weeks later...

The Burkle ownership group has added a minority owner from the Golden State Warriors, and has signed an arena deal with the City of Sacramento.

It appears the only way the Kings go to Seattle is if David Stern rips the team out of there for Basketball Reasons, which, of course, is still entirely likely.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

http://sports.yahoo....50315--nba.html

The prospective owner of the Sacramento Kings is calling on fans in Seattle to sign up for a ''priority ticket waitlist'' as a way to show the NBA how much interest there is in bringing pro basketball back to the area.

That worked out so well for Jim Balsillie.

The Burkle ownership group has added a minority owner from the Golden State Warriors, and has signed an arena deal with the City of Sacramento.

It appears the only way the Kings go to Seattle is if David Stern rips the team out of there for Basketball Reasons, which, of course, is still entirely likely.

Yeah, because Stern has never used that excuse for destroying a basketball franchise before...

...oh wait...

Archived