NBA Votes Against Sacramento Kings' Relocation To Seattle

Dexter Morgan

• Replies 584
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Might want to re-cork the champagne in Seattle. Looks like the Maloofs overlooked one fatal flaw in their devious plan to not give Sacramento a chance to bid on and purchase the team. The current minority owners, including 7% currently in bankruptcy court going up for auction Feb 1, have right of first refusal to buy the team in the event the Maloofs sell. Which means they're in line before Hansen. If Mastrov/Burkle or any other Sacramento based bidder buys the 7% in the auction on Feb 1 they, not Hansen get a chance to complete the sale first (to say nothing of the possibility of partnering with one of the other existing minority partners. This thing is far from over.

http://www.sacbee.com/2013/01/24/5138478/limited-partners-have-first-right.html

Might want to re-cork the champagne in Seattle. Looks like the Maloofs overlooked one fatal flaw in their devious plan to not give Sacramento a chance to bid on and purchase the team. The current minority owners, including 7% currently in bankruptcy court going up for auction Feb 1, have right of first refusal to buy the team in the event the Maloofs sell. Which means they're in line before Hansen. If Mastrov/Burkle or any other Sacramento based bidder buys the 7% in the auction on Feb 1 they, not Hansen get a chance to complete the sale first (to say nothing of the possibility of partnering with one of the other existing minority partners. This thing is far from over.

http://www.sacbee.com/2013/01/24/5138478/limited-partners-have-first-right.html

*bangs head against wall*

mcbqza.jpg

http://www.sacbee.co...irst-right.html

Great. I hope Seattle gets a team soon, but it shouldn't be the Kings. Sacramento deserves to keep this team.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

That'll be the most expensive 7% of a professional sports franchise in North American sports history if true.

nav-logo.png

I don't disagree with that. What are the Bucks up to?

Since the history of whatever team moves to Sacramento will be wiped out, may as well leave the Bucks and their one title. The Timberwolves will never get a good arena and there is no reason not to move them.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Personally, I'm in favor of Hansen convincing Michael Jordan to put his stake in the Bobcats up in an expensive (rigged) poker game. Probably would be too hard, though; Jordan isn't an idiot.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Since the history of whatever team moves to Sacramento will be wiped out, may as well leave the Bucks and their one title. The Timberwolves will never get a good arena and there is no reason not to move them.

1) Why was the Xcel Center built? Was the Target Center built to be bad for hockey?

2) Why can't the Timberwolves play in Xcel?

3) What's wrong with the Target Center to begin with. It's only 23 years old and they did a big renovation 9 years ago.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

1) Why was the Xcel Center built? Was the Target Center built to be bad for hockey?

2) Why can't the Timberwolves play in Xcel?

3) What's wrong with the Target Center to begin with. It's only 23 years old and they did a big renovation 9 years ago.

1) The Target Center could have been used for hockey (and has been...it's serviceable...I've been to Minnesota vs. Wisconsin there). In fact the Minnesota North Stars (who played in an arena known to have second-to-none sight lines, but of course no luxury boxes) almost moved there, but apparently the T-Wolves and North Stars could not come to agreement on revenue from the advertisements on the boards.

2) I cannot answer that. Maybe they can. It would have been short-sighted not to make it decent for basketball. I guess they had a few state hoops tourney games there...one blog I read said that the seating was pretty bad; the court was too far away from the best seats, but that would probably be able to be remedied if an NBA tenent came in. The XCel is a busy place. Wild, college tourney games, high school, concerts, etc. I have the impression (based on the Wolves always trying to get Target Center renovation money) that either the Wolves or the Xcel are not interested.

3) 20 years seems to be about the shelf life before pro-sports teams start to put their hands out. The Target Center is OK. If you've been to the Bradley Center, it's comparable. A couple of years newer and slightly less sterile. I cannot speak to the revenue-generating ability of it vs. a new arena in Sacramento,vs. the Xcel.

Part of it is my belief that cold-weather non-cosmopolitan markets are just not meant to have on-court NBA success. Particularly post "The Decision" where players go UFA to join forces; they won't be doing that in Minnesota. They'll need some Thunder-like lightning in a bottle (no pun intended), which will be pretty rare.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

*bangs head against wall*

That's what we fans of the Kings call, "Being Maloofed"

Welcome to the club.

maloofed_stamp_large.0_cinema_305.0.jpg

The red flag I've been watching is the $30 million non-refundable deposit that Hansen apparently committed to. Given the Maloofs history, I could see that being their plan all along. Take the $30 mil and drag this along for another year.

Hansen: Well if the deal isn't going through I want my $30 million back.

Maloofs: What money?

Hansen: The deposit I put down on the team I'm apparently not getting.

Maloofs: You didn't give us any money.

Hansen: .........

Maloofs: .........................

Hansen: damnit.

Eh the 30 million might be well spent in the end. Another of the minority owners appears to have caved. Kehriotis, who until recently supported efforts to keep the team in Sac, has apparently had a change of heart and moved into the Hansen camp. And at 12% of the team his minority shares was one of the largest chunks of the 35% outstanding. Can't imagine what he's offering these guys to have them throw their own principles under the bus.

Archived