NBA Votes Against Sacramento Kings' Relocation To Seattle

Dexter Morgan

I have been thinking though, that should Seattle get the Kings, I would definitely keep the numbers retired, but it might seem odd hanging numbers honoring players who never played in Seattle (at least for awhile). I know the Rams, when they first moved to St. Louis, hung no banners regarding their previous history for the first few years. Around the time of the Super Bowl win, they established the Ring of Honor. Then later on they added banners recognizing previous division, NFC, and NFL Championships. I wonder if that would be the right approach for a relocated franchise. Don't forget your history or try to rewrite it, but maybe don't bring it all out right away until you've settled in your new home a bit.

Also, it's a shame the Nationals had the dumb logo below. Because otherwise they have nice displays of Washington baseball history and even honor retired numbers of the Expos on the facade of the 2nd deck. Hard to forget about the blunder below though:

kghi1vemazbbt5se6ekhj6g6k.gif

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be." -Peter Gibbons

RIP Demitra #38

• Replies 584
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How about this, leagues can keep track of franchise history and records, while team owners and fans can do what ever the hell they want. Only the most anal retentive obsessive compulsives care about such trivialities... :cursing:

tigercatssignature-1.png

How about this, leagues can keep track of franchise history and records, while team owners and fans can do what ever the hell they want. Only the most anal retentive obsessive compulsives care about such trivialities... :cursing:

......so sports fans?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

......so sports fans?

Yep, and people who enjoy discussing sports uniforms and logos, since said uniforms and logos are tied to team history.

To get back on topic, Kevin Johnson is ready to battle for the team, but to me it seems like he's bringing a knife to a gunfight.

http://www.sactownro...tors-19-million

This I think is his best weapon:

"After March 1st, the next big dates are April 18th and 19th when the NBA Board of Governors meets. At this point they will hear Mayor Johnson out as well as decide on approving the Seattle sale or relocation. One of the first questions asked of the Mayor at the press conference was why the NBA would block a sale to Seattle. The Mayor replied that it is "unprecedented" for a team to be allowed to relocate after having done everything that the NBA has asked for it. Numerous times he pointed out that each time the NBA came to them with a checklist of things to do, Sacramento came through. This is likely going to be a focal point of KJ's arguments to the Board of Governors."

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be." -Peter Gibbons

RIP Demitra #38

Like an earlier poster mentioned before, this whole problem was compounded by David Stern's shortsighted insistence to return the Hornets back to New Orleans, instead of keeping them in Oklahoma City post-Katrina. Damn the PR hit he and the NBA might have taken...from a business and fan support standpoint, OKC proved in two seasons that it could support the NBA much more better than New Orleans ever did in the first four seasons prior to Hurricane Katrina.

I know that the Hornets have the local ownership now in Tom Benson, but they wouldn't survive there without those welfare checks they collect every year from the state of Louisiana. Sacramento has Stern more to blame than the Magoofs or anyone else.

Get your facts straight before you rant.

1) "but they wouldn't survive there without those welfare checks they collect every year from the state of Louisiana". The new lease agreement relieves the State from the burden of giving the Hornets any financial subsidies, and shifts the responsibility of generating additional revenue to the Hornets.

2) "David Stern's shortsighted insistence to return the Hornets back to New Orleans, instead of keeping them in Oklahoma City post-Katrina." As I pointed out recently in another thread ( http://boards.sports...00#entry1943049), Stern would have been glad to let the Hornets stay in OKC... if Shinn would have sold them to Bennett and company. Again, all of you must understand, these are not Stern's teams to play around with, it's each individual owner's team. All in all, I think Stern and the rest of the NBA owners realized they made a mistake back in the mid-80s when they let George Shinn come in as owner of the franchise, He caused the league nothing but trouble afterwards, going through multiple minority owners, cheapness with players, sexual harassment shenanigans featured on Court TV, arena demands, poisoning a great NBA market, relocating a team and then wanting to relocate it again after only three seasons, and having significant financial and debt problems. So they did what they could to get rid of him, eventually giving him enough rope to hang himself and get out.

3) "from a business and fan support standpoint, OKC proved in two seasons that it could support the NBA much more better than New Orleans ever did in the first four seasons prior to Hurricane Katrina." But in the great scheme of things, that doesn't mean crap. This wasn't a contest to determine winners of the franchise. It was a temporary relocation based upon a natural (and man-made) disaster. Also, you are comparing apples and oranges, New Orleans was a long-time pro sports city with nothing to prove. The Hornets moving here was seen as a plus, a nice addition to our many entertainment options. Oklahoma City was a newer, growing city with major league pro sports history trying to show that they were now a "big-league town"; and bless 'em, they did a great job of it with this tryout. Of course, think of the alternative if they DIDN'T: no shot at all of getting another pro team, written off completely for years to come.

Gee...thanks for setting me straight, MOD EDIT: There's no need for personal attacks. My point still stands...New Orleans, in the long-term, is not a viable NBA market no matter how you spin it.

......so sports fans?

When I took AP psychology, we did a unit on Freudian psych, as any AP psych course would, and my teacher told us with a straight face that the opposite of "anal-retentive" was "anal-explosive." I don't need to explain why this is really, really, really funny. But I had a Commitment To Excellence when it came to AP classes (except econ, which I got a 1 on; let's not talk about that), and I wasn't going to let him continue with this, so I corrected him and said that no, the term is "anal-expulsive," which still makes me giggle, but at least it's not as bad. He insisted that no, it was explosive. Now, I had remembered having this exact same argument with a senior my junior year on, like, a bus to a mock trial meet or something, so apparently anuses had been exploding under his tutelage as a matter of course, if you'll pardon the expression. I said that that simply couldn't be, and that it made more sense for the opposite of "to retain" to be "to expel" than "to explode." So he went on with the class and probably put on an episode of Family Guy to show that he was on the cutting edge of November 2003 because that was his thing, and life went on. Next day, I found it in the textbook, and sure enough, it was expulsive. He gets dead serious and says that it was a joke, and it had been a joke the whole time, and how could you not see that, and of course everyone knows what the actual term is, but now all you've done is ruin the joke for everyone by being this way about it. "Classic abusive behavior," mumbled the AP psych student.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

You probably got a 1, because AP Economics sucks. My favourite teacher/professor I ever had taught that class, a teacher who speaks Seinfeldian language as fluidly as I do, and I still couldn't do better than a 2 on either the Micro or the Macro units.

I never thought about AP Psych, probably because everyone I knew said the class was too easy. Better to take classes where I actually have a great deal to learn. That is, the few times I paid attention in class. I was always awful at that.

spacer.png

Like an earlier poster mentioned before, this whole problem was compounded by David Stern's shortsighted insistence to return the Hornets back to New Orleans, instead of keeping them in Oklahoma City post-Katrina. Damn the PR hit he and the NBA might have taken...from a business and fan support standpoint, OKC proved in two seasons that it could support the NBA much more better than New Orleans ever did in the first four seasons prior to Hurricane Katrina.

I know that the Hornets have the local ownership now in Tom Benson, but they wouldn't survive there without those welfare checks they collect every year from the state of Louisiana. Sacramento has Stern more to blame than the Magoofs or anyone else.

Get your facts straight before you rant.

1) "but they wouldn't survive there without those welfare checks they collect every year from the state of Louisiana". The new lease agreement relieves the State from the burden of giving the Hornets any financial subsidies, and shifts the responsibility of generating additional revenue to the Hornets.

2) "David Stern's shortsighted insistence to return the Hornets back to New Orleans, instead of keeping them in Oklahoma City post-Katrina." As I pointed out recently in another thread ( http://boards.sports...00#entry1943049), Stern would have been glad to let the Hornets stay in OKC... if Shinn would have sold them to Bennett and company. Again, all of you must understand, these are not Stern's teams to play around with, it's each individual owner's team. All in all, I think Stern and the rest of the NBA owners realized they made a mistake back in the mid-80s when they let George Shinn come in as owner of the franchise, He caused the league nothing but trouble afterwards, going through multiple minority owners, cheapness with players, sexual harassment shenanigans featured on Court TV, arena demands, poisoning a great NBA market, relocating a team and then wanting to relocate it again after only three seasons, and having significant financial and debt problems. So they did what they could to get rid of him, eventually giving him enough rope to hang himself and get out.

3) "from a business and fan support standpoint, OKC proved in two seasons that it could support the NBA much more better than New Orleans ever did in the first four seasons prior to Hurricane Katrina." But in the great scheme of things, that doesn't mean crap. This wasn't a contest to determine winners of the franchise. It was a temporary relocation based upon a natural (and man-made) disaster. Also, you are comparing apples and oranges, New Orleans was a long-time pro sports city with nothing to prove. The Hornets moving here was seen as a plus, a nice addition to our many entertainment options. Oklahoma City was a newer, growing city with major league pro sports history trying to show that they were now a "big-league town"; and bless 'em, they did a great job of it with this tryout. Of course, think of the alternative if they DIDN'T: no shot at all of getting another pro team, written off completely for years to come.

Gee...thanks for setting me straight, MOD EDIT: There's no need for personal attacks.

My point still stands...New Orleans, in the long-term, is not a viable NBA market no matter how you spin it.

Personal insult? About what I'd expect from you..... :rolleyes:

And the thing is, your point DOES NOT stand. Back it up with something. You get called out when your facts are wrong, and your response is simply that "New Orleans, in the long term, is not a viable NBA market" Why? You're just making a blanket statement parrotting what some talking heads in the sports news biz (and some folks on this board) say because of their perceptions, and what they've heard. Explain, or you're just giving an (uneducated) opinion, not making a point that stands.

See, I've heard this song before and it grates on my nerves. It wasn't that long ago when we had the same group of sports gurus and folks on this board saying the Saints would never play another down in New Orleans after Katrina, that the area couldn't support the team, that we were not a viable market anymore, etc. And look how that turned out.

It is what it is.

You mean how the state and city poured $300 million into the Superdome to save football and the Lower 9th is still uninhabitable?

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

You (B-rich) obviously have a bias because you're from that area...believe me, I've done my reading on the Hornets being in New Orleans. I'm damn sure not pulling anything out of my ass...I believe my points are valid. I just don't believe the Hornets belong in New Orleans in the long-term, and I'm not alone in that feeling either.

......so sports fans?

Yep, and people who enjoy discussing sports uniforms and logos, since said uniforms and logos are tied to team history.

To get back on topic, Kevin Johnson is ready to battle for the team, but to me it seems like he's bringing a knife to a gunfight.

http://www.sactownro...tors-19-million

This I think is his best weapon:

"After March 1st, the next big dates are April 18th and 19th when the NBA Board of Governors meets. At this point they will hear Mayor Johnson out as well as decide on approving the Seattle sale or relocation. One of the first questions asked of the Mayor at the press conference was why the NBA would block a sale to Seattle. The Mayor replied that it is "unprecedented" for a team to be allowed to relocate after having done everything that the NBA has asked for it. Numerous times he pointed out that each time the NBA came to them with a checklist of things to do, Sacramento came through. This is likely going to be a focal point of KJ's arguments to the Board of Governors."

Now, there's his gun. SacBee is reporting that billionares Burkle and Mastrov are teaming up as the "whales" KJ keeps referencing. With even richer Maloof family friend Eli Broad and two others possibilities to join the mix as well. Looks like KJ was just giving his knife a moment in the sun before he whipped his gun out.

You mean how the state and city poured $300 million into the Superdome to save football and the Lower 9th is still uninhabitable?

The reason the Lower 9th still looks the way it does is because its residents were the ones without the means to move back after Katrina. It is far from uninhabitable.

It wasn't that long ago when we had the same group of sports gurus and folks on this board saying the Saints would never play another down in New Orleans after Katrina, that the area couldn't support the team, that we were not a viable market anymore, etc. And look how that turned out.

Well in all fairness it was widely reported (and I think it's been confirmed) that the Saints already had one foot out the door by the time Katrina hit. From a completely objective standpoint a natural disaster that dispersed the city's population, destroyed its infrastructure, and totalled the team's arena didn't look all that promising to change the team's pre-storm designs to bolt for San Antonio.

As it turned out the city and the NFL moved mountains to renovate the Superdome beyond simple repairs (to the detriment of much of the city that arguably should have received the money and effort before the football stadium) and keep the team where it was respectively so a tale could be woven about a football team rebuilding the city through wins, faith, and other assorted feel-good vibes. I'm convinced that it Katrina doesn't happen we're watching the San Antonio Saints.

Well in all fairness it was widely reported (and I think it's been confirmed) that the Saints already had one foot out the door by the time Katrina hit. From a completely objective standpoint a natural disaster that dispersed the city's population, destroyed its infrastructure, and totalled the team's arena didn't look all that promising to change the team's pre-storm designs to bolt for San Antonio.

There were rumors, but I don't think San Antonio was ever a serious plan for the Saints. Benson had business there, but San Antonio had the same problem that New Orleans did - lack of strong corporate support.

Even after Katrina, when the Saints were based there and playing games there, it was never considered as anything more than a temporary home for them.

The Saints have been based in San Antonio since being displaced by the hurricane in August, but the league has no interest in that city as a permanent home for the club, said the sources, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because no firm decisions have been made and the deliberations are at a sensitive stage. The NFL has been actively seeking to return to Los Angeles, the second-largest television market in the country, which has not had a franchise since the Raiders left for Oakland after the 1994 season.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/10/26/AR2005102602322.html

LA was the goal, if not back to New Orleans.

The idea of the translucent box around the arena isn't bad, but the form of the arena bowl itself leaves much to be desired. It definitely doesn't address the street as well as they claim it to do, and looks as if it would be walking along a semi blank wall for hundreds of feet which is never a good thing. That plaza is way too oversized as well. The 100' dimension is fine, but 300' is the limit on what people feel comfortable with hanging around in and using. Look at the plazas, platz, piazzas in Europe. Three hundred feet is about the maximum dimension for the vast majority of them.

I wonder if my former classmate that works at that firm is working on this.

The idea of the translucent box around the arena isn't bad, but the form of the arena bowl itself leaves much to be desired. It definitely doesn't address the street as well as they claim it to do, and looks as if it would be walking along a semi blank wall for hundreds of feet which is never a good thing. That plaza is way too oversized as well. The 100' dimension is fine, but 300' is the limit on what people feel comfortable with hanging around in and using. Look at the plazas, platz, piazzas in Europe. Three hundred feet is about the maximum dimension for the vast majority of them.

I wonder if my former classmate that works at that firm is working on this.

Honestly, the location for the arena is terrible. It'd be the third in a line of big arenas south of downtown into a pretty industrial area. Any businesses in the area are essentially 9-5 delis for the working crowd, the nearest light rail station is about half-mile away, and downtown proper is a good 10 to 15-minute walk. That's not to say businesses wouldn't come to a place with as many as 82 nights a year, but it'll take a while.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

where is that one supposedly located?? Curious as to that.. interesting design but the top look.. ehhh I dont know if it is a good thing.. oh well..

Ice Hockey International Winnipeg Braves (Bobby Hull Division 18-3-0 1st place as of March 14, 2011)

2010-11 O'Brien Trophy for Bobby Hull Division championship & Jack Riley Cup for top team in league regular season

Archived