NBA Votes Against Sacramento Kings' Relocation To Seattle

Dexter Morgan

Why not just send the Grizzlies to Seattle, their owner just told the fans in Memphis that winning is not important and will not happen any time soon.

Because the new owner is committed to keeping them in Memphis and was granted ownership because of that commitment over competing bids (that may have been higher). It's yet another reason I think this Seattle move dies. The NBA has been resistant to moves since the Seattle debacle.

Every time a franchise moves it's a debacle. Stern's presided over six of them during his tenure. From what I've read and remember, none of those relocation votes met with much (if any) resistance from NBA owners. Stern and the NBA aren't resistant to moving franchises. IF it makes to a relocation vote, I doubt it would fail.

No matter how you look at it, somebody's gettin' the shaft.

cv2TCLZ.png

"I secretly hope people like that hydroplane into a wall." - Dennis "Big Sexy" Ittner

POTD - 7/3/14

• Replies 584
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why not just send the Grizzlies to Seattle, their owner just told the fans in Memphis that winning is not important and will not happen any time soon.

Because the new owner is committed to keeping them in Memphis and was granted ownership because of that commitment over competing bids (that may have been higher). It's yet another reason I think this Seattle move dies. The NBA has been resistant to moves since the Seattle debacle.

Every time a franchise moves it's a debacle. Stern's presided over six of them during his tenure. From what I've read and remember, none of those relocation votes met with much (if any) resistance from NBA owners. Stern and the NBA aren't resistant to moving franchises. IF it makes to a relocation vote, I doubt it would fail.

I said since Seattle. They've had three ready opportunities to move teams since then and have balked all 3 times. And if Sac's move is denied Seattle isn't getting the shaft. They'll just have to wait for a team that is in a better position to move or an expansion team. The Kings aren't that team. They've got a great fanbase, the 20th largest market in the US to themselves, plenty of corporate support. The only thing they lacked were real owners. The Maloofs ran the Kings like a money losing college frat.

I said since Seattle. They've had three ready opportunities to move teams since then and have balked all 3 times. And if Sac's move is denied Seattle isn't getting the shaft. They'll just have to wait for a team that is in a better position to move or an expansion team. The Kings aren't that team. They've got a great fanbase, the 20th largest market in the US to themselves, plenty of corporate support. The only thing they lacked were real owners. The Maloofs ran the Kings like a money losing college frat.

It's also a telling sign that with all this corporate support, etc., that no one's been stepping up to buy the Kings with the intent on keeping them in Sacramento.

They've got a great fanbase...

Dead last in the NBA by attendance and haven't been out of the bottom 5 for the last 5 years.

Also have been threatened to move 3 times in that five years, had no major maintenance done of the arena so that pieces of it are literally falling off inside and out, the Maloofs haven't pursued any corporate ticket deals during that time (the mayor had to literally do it for them last spring and proved to the NBA it was the team not doing their job), they've had the moron brothers derail two arena plans and field teams at or below the salary floor during that time. Hell they made a big deal about getting above the salary floor this season. All this while still having some of the highest ticket prices in the league. The market is good, the ownership however has done everything it possibly can to drive away fans. ESPN recognized that fact when they rated the Maloofs the worst owners in the Big 4 sports.

The fact that they're still drawing as well as they are is a testament to that but many fans have been and are staying away purposely not wanting to pay a dime to the Moe, Larry and Curly Maloof while they're dicking the city around. Remember this is the market that has sold out 19 of 27 seasons, many of those very bad seasons on court. They've only been bad attendance wise since the Maloofs started Maloofing.

It's also a telling sign that with all this corporate support, etc., that no one's been stepping up to buy the Kings with the intent on keeping them in Sacramento.

Might want to update your information. Two multi-billionaires Mastrov and Burkle have stepped up and not only offered to buy the team along with group of 21 millionaires but also to build an arena in an even more ideal location than the city's already completed and approved plan. And Mastrov/Burkle weren't the only ones interested either. It's not that there weren't buyers in Sac, it's that the team was never offered to anyone in Sac. The Maloofs swore the team wasn't for sale right up until the sale to Hansen was leaked by that agent's daughter on twitter.

They've got a great fanbase, the 20th largest market in the US to themselves, plenty of corporate support. The only thing they lacked were real owners. The Maloofs ran the Kings like a money losing college frat.

Fanbase and market size don't mean THAT much.

Legitimate question time. If there was strong interest in other local parties in buying the team last year, or the year before, and a solid offer was on the table, why didn't the Maloofs sell them then? What's the difference between a strong offer and arena deal in 2011 or 2012 versus what Hansen's group is offering now?

cv2TCLZ.png

"I secretly hope people like that hydroplane into a wall." - Dennis "Big Sexy" Ittner

POTD - 7/3/14

They've got a great fanbase, the 20th largest market in the US to themselves, plenty of corporate support. The only thing they lacked were real owners. The Maloofs ran the Kings like a money losing college frat.

Legitimate question time. If there was strong interest in other local parties in buying the team last year, or the year before, and a solid offer was on the table, why didn't the Maloofs sell them then? What's the difference between a strong offer and arena deal in 2011 or 2012 versus what Hansen's group is offering now?

Presumably complete buyout vs. Hansen letting them keep a sliver of the team. Otherwise from what I've seen of the Maloofs, an intense desire for petty revenge against Sacramento.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Hansen isn't in Sacramento, it's as simple as that. The Maloofs are the kind of petty pricks who would spite Sac because they had the gall to derail the Maloofs plans to move to Anaheim in 2011 (they still blame Ron Burkle and Kevin Johnson for that). On top of that the Maloofs are nearly broke which is why they didn't want to stick to the arena deal they initially agreed to in 2012 as they can't continue to own the team long term. That and they likely feel they can get maximum value from Hansen since he is willing to overpay for the club. If they'd made an offer locally in Sac it would not have been for as much. Which may be their end game. They've now got Hansen to commit to a significant overpayment for the team (and to basically throw away a non-refundable 30 million dollars to the brothers yesterday on top of it), and now may be in the middle of a bidding war between Seattle and Sacramento interests for the team upping their eventual take further.

I keep coming across this nationally, people just don't seem to realize the Maloofs really are this :censored:ed up. Sacramento has viable ownership options, viable publicly funded arena plans (hell they had an agreed to arena plan), and yet no Sac interest was ever given the option to purchase the team. Every time Sac interests inquired about purchasing the Maloofs party line was the team wasn't for sale right up until December of last year. All the while the Maloofs were working with Hansen under the table. The Maloofs didn't even notify their minority partners they were selling the team (as required by the ownership agreement). This whole thing has been shady from the beginning ostensibly because keeping it quiet was the only way it would go sailing through. The Maloofs knew Sac had options but the spiteful douchebags didn't want to give Sac the time of day.

I still say they just wanted the free $30 million. :)

And looks like they may get to keep it and then still sell to someone in Sacramento.

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/02/04/kings-ownership-documents-reveal-major-potential-stumbling-blocks-for-seattle/

There are some serious issues for the Hansen/Ballmer group in their pending purchase of the Kings. Mainly that the Maloofs screwed them over.

And looks like they may get to keep it and then still sell to someone in Sacramento.

http://probasketball...ks-for-seattle/

There are some serious issues for the Hansen/Ballmer group in their pending purchase of the Kings. Mainly that the Maloofs screwed them over.

Boy are the Maloofs terrible. If this is all accurate, shame on Ballmer/Hansen lawyers for not doing their due diligence. And cheers to Sacramento for pulling it together when they had to.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Boy are the Maloofs terrible. If this is all accurate, shame on Ballmer/Hansen lawyers for not doing their due diligence. And cheers to Sacramento for pulling it together when they had to.

I'm sorry, but the second I saw the "non-refundable $30 million deposit," I had a feeling the Maloofs might torpedo this the same way they did a *brand new arena.* They seem content to sit at Arco/Power Balance/Can't Remember Arena and collect what they can on the cheap. If they are really in financial dire straits, why wouldn't they thake $30M gift for some bad pub?

If someone offered you a $3,000 non-refundable deposit toward buying your car or house or whatever, I would think even the most ethical among us might take it and run without a second thought. So $30 mil? And the Maloofs? Pocket it. Then go back on court and celebrate with KJ.

Until 20 minutes ago I had never seen a picture of a Maloof. The picture gave me a hunch that research reaffirmed. These people are dunderheads.

SBnOMKB.jpg

the worst helmets design to me is the Jacksonville jaguars hamlets from 1995 to 2012 because you can't see the logo vary wall

The red flag I've been watching is the $30 million non-refundable deposit that Hansen apparently committed to. Given the Maloofs history, I could see that being their plan all along. Take the $30 mil and drag this along for another year.

Hansen: Well if the deal isn't going through I want my $30 million back.

Maloofs: What money?

Hansen: The deposit I put down on the team I'm apparently not getting.

Maloofs: You didn't give us any money.

Hansen: .........

Maloofs: .........................

Hansen: damnit.

I'm sorry, but the second I saw the "non-refundable $30 million deposit," I had a feeling the Maloofs might torpedo this the same way they did a *brand new arena.* They seem content to sit at Arco/Power Balance/Can't Remember Arena and collect what they can on the cheap. If they are really in financial dire straits, why wouldn't they thake $30M gift for some bad pub?

If someone offered you a $3,000 non-refundable deposit toward buying your car or house or whatever, I would think even the most ethical among us might take it and run without a second thought. So $30 mil? And the Maloofs? Pocket it. Then go back on court and celebrate with KJ.

Trust me, I'm a developer! - George Maloof

Maloff-281x300.jpg

I wish the Maloofs had bought the Tampa Bay Lightning. Middle-aged men in Ed Hardy t-shirts would've been a nice follow-up to Len Barrie and his sweet-ass frosted tips.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived