NBA Votes Against Sacramento Kings' Relocation To Seattle

Dexter Morgan

No phony attempts to negotiate? They completely negotiated a new stadium deal with Sacramento, only to back out of it. All Bennett did was dirty talk Seattle. The Maloofs did "just the tip" before leaving Sacramento. Their involvement makes it at least as shady as the Sonics' exit.

This. Also just like in Seattle you have a strong fanbass losing a team to situations beyond their control. Not sure where you're coming from Lights Out.

• Replies 584
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I actually do see where he's coming from. He's comparing Hansen to Bennett, not Hansen to the Maloofs. The buyer in this case was always upfront about his intent to move. Bennett's was assumed, but not before a standard, "no plans to relocate" statement and subsequent charade. The rest is "Sonicsgate." (...which, if I'm being honest, I find overrated. If you followed the story - even here - there was nothing new. It was like being disappointed in the movie of a book you read.) The shadiness falls on the Maloofs' side here. Their on-court celebration with KJ is almost akin to Schultz's "plan" to buy back the Sonics from Bennett. Ultimately hollow gestures.

More good news for Sac today. The league Finance committee will be vetting a Sacramento offer to keep the team from Burkle/Mastrov/21 minority owners along side the Seattle deal from Hansen/Ballmer in advance of the April 18-19 Board of Governors Meeting. Meaning essentially that both deals will be vetted and considered by the BOG at the same time. Meaning any hope Seattle had of ramming this through quickly before Sac had it's chance to respond are now gone.

http://www.sacbee.com/2013/01/30/5150772/how-nba-would-evaluate-competing.html

I actually do see where he's coming from. He's comparing Hansen to Bennett, not Hansen to the Maloofs. The buyer in this case was always upfront about his intent to move. Bennett's was assumed, but not before a standard, "no plans to relocate" statement and subsequent charade. The rest is "Sonicsgate."

Exactly.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

I actually do see where he's coming from. He's comparing Hansen to Bennett, not Hansen to the Maloofs. The buyer in this case was always upfront about his intent to move. Bennett's was assumed, but not before a standard, "no plans to relocate" statement and subsequent charade. The rest is "Sonicsgate."

Exactly.

Sonicsgate is not the travesty you think it is. It's no more a travesty then any other relocation. Why can't we agree that Seattle shouldn't have lost their team while also recognizing that the actual loss of the team wasn't criminal?

Exactly.

Sonicsgate is not the travesty you think it is. It's no more a travesty then any other relocation. Why can't we agree that Seattle shouldn't have lost their team while also recognizing that the actual loss of the team wasn't criminal?

Criminal? No. Shady? Yes. No matter where the Kings end up, one fan base will be extremely pissed and Stern will be...well...Stern.

cv2TCLZ.png

"I secretly hope people like that hydroplane into a wall." - Dennis "Big Sexy" Ittner

POTD - 7/3/14

Exactly.

All Bennett and his group did was lie and say they wanted to stay in Seattle. The Maloofs lied and said they wanted to stay in Sacramento, even going as far as reaching a deal for the new stadium they always said they needed, then said "LOL JK!" before the confetti had reached the ground. They tried to move the team to Anaheim and Virginia before finally deciding to sell to Seattle interests without giving anybody from Sacramento a chance to buy the team. This salting of the earth and knife-turning in Sacramento happened over three seasons, not one - it has been a slow, painful death for the franchise. Spelling that out, the Maloofs sound far, far worse than Bennett.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Exactly.

Criminal? No. Shady? Yes. No matter where the Kings end up, one fan base will be extremely pissed and Stern will be...well...Stern.

That Seattle ownership group could always turn around and buy the Bucks... in the figurative sense, Seattle already got the Bucks franchise 10 years ago. :D

Why not just send the Grizzlies to Seattle, their owner just told the fans in Memphis that winning is not important and will not happen any time soon.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Why not just send the Grizzlies to Seattle, their owner just told the fans in Memphis that winning is not important and will not happen any time soon.

Because the new owner is committed to keeping them in Memphis and was granted ownership because of that commitment over competing bids (that may have been higher). It's yet another reason I think this Seattle move dies. The NBA has been resistant to moves since the Seattle debacle.

Commited to Memphis tell the fans who saw their best player traded for washed up players.

Umm, Marc Gasol and Z-Bo would object to Gay being the best player on the Grizzlies, and Ed Davis (you know, the best asset they got back) is 23. This trade is not about salary dumping, it's about surviving in the current cap system. Grizzlies aren't going anywhere.

07Giants.pngnyy.png

Speaking of that, what was the deal with that trade? They were a legit title contender. Did Rudy demand to be out? I mean, why would he- just to end up on a lottery team.

Rudy is a mediocre player being wildly overpaid on a max contract. Memphis will get slightly worse in the short term, and whatever tenuous window they had is closed now, but they needed to dump that contract.

I never thought they were a legitimate title contender. No superstar, a hideous offense, and Rudy's inefficient chucking pretty much would have sealed an early playoff exit for the Grizzlies.

Another part of it is probably just that the new ownership group wants to go in a different direction with the Grizzlies than Heisley did, so that means getting rid of Heisley's players.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Because the new owner is committed to keeping them in Memphis and was granted ownership because of that commitment over competing bids (that may have been higher). It's yet another reason I think this Seattle move dies. The NBA has been resistant to moves since the Seattle debacle.

Plus there is the issue that there would be more money owned Memphis and Shelby County for the Grizzlies leaving than the current outstanding loan the Kings took from the city of Sacramento. The bonds to pay off FedEx Forum is at $104M compared to the $77M Sacramento loan. Plus, the Memphis area municipalities have the option to buy the team if the owner intends to move them.

Archived