NBA Votes Against Sacramento Kings' Relocation To Seattle

Dexter Morgan

I've been thinking that as well. If you commit too early, like MLB did with D.C., you end up with Oakland's situation, and to a lesser extent, Tampa Bay's. Plenty of teams got stadiums with the threat of Tampa and D.C. But now there is nowhere for the A's to go without complications. And not much leverage.

Meanwhile, L.A. keeps getting stadiums built or renovated in all sorts of NFL cities that might not even be realistic threats to move. But it looms.

The NBA might only need a couple of years to get Milwaukee taken care of, and I'm not sure Detroit is next on that list. I thought The Palace was considered United Center-level "old but ahead of its time." And Hansen's deal has no imminent expiration date. The Kings were an opportunity, but not the only option.

If they are patient and don't go full Balsillie, I think they get an expansion team out of it at the very least. As others have said, how can you pass up that offer? I'm sure there are some legal options to threaten, but I don't know that they are at that point yet.

• Replies 584
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is Sacramento's arena deal contingent on the Maloof's selling the Kings, or can they screw around and wait until the new arena's built, then reap the benefits of fans wanting to see the new building?

The Arena deal is between the New ownership group and the city. Its basically the deal the Maloof's balked on a year ago. They're cut out. Only thing I think they can benefit from is Arco being used.

If Stern's comments last night are read into a little deeper, I think he basically said Adam Silver's first big move as Commish is granting expansion to Seattle.

When Silver takes over, the political structure that effected the arena deal might not be in place anymore. If I were the NBA, I'd be providing a few more assurances. If this is really it, I think the NBA is dead in Seattle.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

I have to be honest, I was really put off by the way Seattle fans conducted themselves as this went along. When it was just a matter of replacing the Sonics, I was receptive enough to it, because Sacramento appeared to be dying as an NBA town, Seattle got the rawest of raw deals with Crewcut Clay, thou shalt not covet another city's team but okay whatever. It was when they started crowing about wanting the Coyotes in addition to the Sonics, mostly as the means to an end of securing more public financing, that I got really annoyed. Yeah, the NBA should be in Seattle. It never should have been made to leave. But to poke around the internet and see all these people jeering about how their billionaire was the best billionaire and their sportspalace will be the best sportspalace and they're gonna take YOUR basketball team and then they're gonna take YOUR hockey team and then their billionaire will have all-of-the-things.jpg ALL OF THE TEAMS just bothered me, and was gratuitous and rather tactless to me. From there, I was further cheesed by the prevailing attitude that NHL needed Seattle (arguable) and Seattle needed the NHL (false) and most of all needed a relocated team RIGHT NOW because despite their needing the NHL, they couldn't possibly be arsed to wait patiently for an expansion team to arrive and gestate, unlike those desperate Quebecois -- though I'm sure they'd be all too happy to wait patiently through the growing pains of an expansion 2personics, because that's all that this has ever been about; hockey just got roped into it to enhance the basketball side. They wanted too much and now they won't get anything for a while. Good. Have your soccer team and all that tra-la-la-la-la scarf silliness.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Just read the concessions Ranadive's prospective group made to the NBA prior to last week's 7-0 vote. Take less of the revenue-sharing percentage? Take none of it if/when a new arena opens? Aside from the "We're here to stay. We're committed to Sacramento," argument, how does that help the team long term to take less money?

Story

cv2TCLZ.png

"I secretly hope people like that hydroplane into a wall." - Dennis "Big Sexy" Ittner

POTD - 7/3/14

Just read the concessions Ranadive's prospective group made to the NBA prior to last week's 7-0 vote. Take less of the revenue-sharing percentage? Take none of it if/when a new arena opens? Aside from the "We're here to stay. We're committed to Sacramento," argument, how does that help the team long term to take less money?

Story

That's not going to work. The Kings this year were last in attendance, so I don't see why they think taking less will help. This team is not going to fare well for the next 3-10 years.

97uyh0.jpg

Bruh check out my last.fm

And my Rate Your Music

Fantasy Teams: Seattle Spacemen (CFA)

Signature credit to Silent Wind of Doom

Story

That's not going to work. The Kings this year were last in attendance, so I don't see why they think taking less will help. This team is not going to fare well for the next 3-10 years.

This could work. Keep the following mind:

The NBA TV contract will be up after the 2015-16 season and even last year, it was thought to be a bidding war with the NBA to get at least a 30% increase in rights fees. Two years ago, Forbes used 30% as a conservative increase figure.

He can "lose" that $18M in revenue sharing knowing that his 1/31 share of the national TV contract is going to be much more than what you gave up. Plus, he will charge more in a new building and will get more luxury seating revenue than at ARCO/Sleep Train.

Who in Sacramento would actually pay for luxury seats? This is Sacramento, SACRA :censored:MENTO!

Fans of crappy teams pay for luxury seats all the time.

So only 7 luxury seats will be filled?

97uyh0.jpg

Bruh check out my last.fm

And my Rate Your Music

Fantasy Teams: Seattle Spacemen (CFA)

Signature credit to Silent Wind of Doom

Story

The Kings also sold out 19 of 27 seasons. Remember it was the Maloofs and their crap stewardship of the team that drove away the fans. Over 10,000 of them have pledged to buy season tickets under real owners who aren't blowing their wad on hookers and blow.

Who in Sacramento would actually pay for luxury seats? This is Sacramento, SACRA :censored:MENTO!

Fans of crappy teams pay for luxury seats all the time.

But doesn't Sacramento lack the private sector found in metropolitan areas of similar size? It's a government town, and it's harder (if not illegal) for the government to buy up luxury suites. Ottawa has the same problem.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Story

The NBA TV contract will be up after the 2015-16 season and even last year, it was thought to be a bidding war with the NBA to get at least a 30% increase in rights fees. Two years ago, Forbes used 30% as a conservative increase figure.

Here's hoping that when the TV contracts are up, NBC and CBS commit a bid for NBA rights. But I don't see NBC being serious about wanting basketball back, because of the success of SNF and them already acquiring the NHL and MLS to long term deals. CBS, of the two, has a more favorable chance of getting basketball, since, after the Masters, their sports schedule is a wasteland, and they have prior friendship with TNT and Turner Sports (NCAA tourney coverage).

But with the whole expansion of FOX Sports with FS1 and FS2, the desire of beating ESPN in broad sports coverage and prior long-term successes with their NBA on FSN regional broadcasts, expect them to also vie for NBA rights. Saying that, I do expect a higher than 30% increase in the league's broadcast rights in three years. Interesting to see if TNT can afford the fee increase.

Story

He can "lose" that $18M in revenue sharing knowing that his 1/31 share of the national TV contract is going to be much more than what you gave up. Plus, he will charge more in a new building and will get more luxury seating revenue than at ARCO/Sleep Train.

Ahh..ok. I thought the two were the same (revenue sharing and TV contract).

cv2TCLZ.png

"I secretly hope people like that hydroplane into a wall." - Dennis "Big Sexy" Ittner

POTD - 7/3/14

Story

Here's hoping that when the TV contracts are up, NBC and CBS commit a bid for NBA rights. But I don't see NBC being serious about wanting basketball back, because of the success of SNF and them already acquiring the NHL and MLS to long term deals. CBS, of the two, has a more favorable chance of getting basketball, since, after the Masters, their sports schedule is a wasteland, and they have prior friendship with TNT and Turner Sports (NCAA tourney coverage).

But with the whole expansion of FOX Sports with FS1 and FS2, the desire of beating ESPN in broad sports coverage and prior long-term successes with their NBA on FSN regional broadcasts, expect them to also vie for NBA rights. Saying that, I do expect a higher than 30% increase in the league's broadcast rights in three years. Interesting to see if TNT can afford the fee increase.

Not to derail, but...

Sports Media Watch tried to handicap the possible suitors in February, before the current holders have the opportunity to re-up.. Turner also operates NBATV and the digital content for the league too. CBS does not need the NBA since they make money off their April-August of PGA Tour golf as it leads well into their Sunday primetime lineup. That PGA contract is through 2021. Those 18-20 weeks of PGA really work well for them between the 20 weeks of NFL and four weeks of college basketball.

Sacramento is actually a great basketball market - they've just been screwed over by the Maloofs

in recent years.

The Kings are kinda like a poorer New York Jets. They were so desperate for attention and to sell uniforms they drafted Jimmer last year instead for Klay Thompson.

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

Archived