2013 Pro Bowl Uniforms

Pizzaman7294

Disappointing...I was really hoping Nike would put something unique out.

(MLF) Chicago Cannons,  (IHA) Phoenix Firebirds - 2021 Xtreme Cup Champions

(WAFL) Phoenix Federals - WAFL World Bowl XII Champions (Defunct)

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As has been stated over and over again, the NFL approves the design, and in most cases provides the designer with some kind of direction or vision (I'd assume that they wouldn't just say "just come up with something" for the Pro Bowl.) That certainly doesn't mean that there's not things that are designer specific that can be criticized, but the overall blame (if you don't like it) would fall on the league.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

It also begs the question of how much emphasis the league really wants to put into the Pro Bowl. Yes, I agree, it's an All Star Game on it's last leg, but the NFL is in the midst of it's "pinnacle game" in the Super Bowl. Would they really want to put that much emphasis and FLASH! into a game that could take away focus from the SB?

Maybe it is the league putting a last ditch effort into the Pro Bowl, which is on life support. Or maybe, with a new manufacturer in Nike, it's the league shifting it's emphasis and approach of the Pro Bowl as a whole.

As has been stated over and over again, the NFL approves the design, and in most cases provides the designer with some kind of direction or vision (I'd assume that they wouldn't just say "just come up with something" for the Pro Bowl.) That certainly doesn't mean that there's not things that are designer specific that can be criticized, but the overall blame (if you don't like it) would fall on the league.

I cover Nike here in Portland and a few weeks ago had the chance to ask a few questions to Leo Kane, the NFL's senior VP of consumer products. Admittedly, he didn't say much we don't already know, but I was able to get in a few questions about Nike's influence on the design process. The entire interview is available only to subscribers (LINK), but here's a few relevant excerpts:

PBJ: How much influence does Nike have in (uniform) changes? Are they driven by Nike or by the clubs?

Kane: It really is a three-sided, triangular approach — the club giving direction to the NFL and to Nike and us collaborating. The clubs are very happy with not only the work being done, but the process.

We don’t want to bring on a world class partner like Nike and then not ask them to come to us with any ideas. They’ve been really respectful. We’re about both innovation but also tradition. They’ve been very respectful in helping us to find that middle ground between innovation and tradition.

PBJ: So is the design done by Nike and approved by the club or are there third parties brought in?

Kane: The club starts the process with a brief, we work with them on that brief, then Nike and the NFL work with the logos and uniform design and stay within that creative brief.

I think there’s a comfort level that we’ve got a very, very talented design team here, Nike’s got an incredibly talented design team, and we’ve got open transparency with all our clubs. It’s a process.

Is the Pro Bowl really in that bad of a shape? Last year's ratings were pretty high. Higher than baseball's ASG. Hell, it's TV ratings were higher than some baseball/basketball playoff series. I would think it stays as long as people watch.

Is the Pro Bowl really in that bad of a shape? Last year's ratings were pretty high. Higher than baseball's ASG. Hell, it's TV ratings were higher than some baseball/basketball playoff series. I would think it stays as long as people watch.

I think the issue is less about ratings than it is about player interest. Last year it became apparent that several players didn't value participating. Isn't that right?

I think the issue is less about ratings than it is about player interest. Last year it became apparent that several players didn't value participating. Isn't that right?

The NFL is a business. I would think they keep chuggin' as long as money is to be made. You still get some stars and the play always seemed pretty soft. IMO this thing stays as long as TV ratings don't free fall.

It's because of how they half ass the game that players lack interest. I would say have a skills comp with individual prizes (trophies etc.) as well as the winner gaining 'points' for his conference to decide which is the superior of the two.

Didn't they have the college all stars play the nfl champions back in the day? Being a football fan I never knew this until reading taking flak and I think that an idea like that is pretty cool. You already have the senior bowl and other games allowing college guys show their talents why not have a super senior team play the nfl all stars that aren't in the Super Bowl? Yes still have special rules in place but if you want competition and a less than lackluster event bring in a team that has something to prove. That will get the nfl players hyped and show the scouts just how good these college guys are.

From that one quick shot, the NFC jersey does seem a little plain, but that view might not tell the whole story. There could be some design elements we're not seeing. Or not.

Also, keep in mind, we haven't seen trhe pants or socks yet. Chances are, even if it's a dull blue jersey, it'll be paired with stripeless blue pants and solid blue socks, which would be pretty much the worst of both worlds.

If its a (somewhat) plain jersey teamed with well designed white pants (and white over red for the AFC), it could be as good overall look.

Back when I was a kid, I used to look forward to the Pro Bowl just to watch for players from the Eagles. That kelly green helmet over royal blue jerseys and white pants was worth the time it took to slog through a boring game.

Didnt they used to have a skills competition? Personally i would really look forward to that especially with the exciting young talents that are in the nfl now. But maybe no one's as enthusiastic about qb competitions and head to head races to see who the fastest players are, as i am.

The whole point of the ProBowl is to congratulate those players that played at a higher level, not to put these players in some sort of futuristic uniform that makes them look like wannabe superheros. It's about time we had respectable uniforms like these. Finally.

It also begs the question of how much emphasis the league really wants to put into the Pro Bowl. Yes, I agree, it's an All Star Game on it's last leg, but the NFL is in the midst of it's "pinnacle game" in the Super Bowl. Would they really want to put that much emphasis and FLASH! into a game that could take away focus from the SB?

Short of having the players play naked, I dont think the Pro Bowl could do anything that would take attention away from the Super Bowl.

n193600158_30266861_5084.jpg

UserBar_CCSLC.jpg

I'm surprised that the reaction to these uniforms is so negative. I can only remember negative responses to the previous Pro Bowl uniforms for being too gaudy or overdesigned. Then the one year that there's a traditional design everyone thinks it's boring. I like these uniforms, you don't need to be flashy every year.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

This reminds me of when the NBA brought back the old all star unis. I believe it was the game played during MJ's stint as a Wizard. He hit that huge fade away at the end. That's basically what the NFL is doing here. Its a "tribute" to the games of old, you know, when the players gave a darn. I like them. I just pray the pants and/or socks are striped so they have some flare. Anyone have a pic of the original version of these unis?

I'm surprised that the reaction to these uniforms is so negative. I can only remember negative responses to the previous Pro Bowl uniforms for being too gaudy or overdesigned. Then the one year that there's a traditional design everyone thinks it's boring. I like these uniforms, you don't need to be flashy every year.

just depends on who you ask, theres always going to be a mix.

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

Archived