Top 5 non BCS colleges in division 1 that needs a new logo

Burkell007

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is that still their official logo? I see this one used more often.

lxsoX_zps521f9502.png

I don't get "wings" on the side. Does anybody have any idea as to why those are there? It always reminds me of Batman. So, just color it black (or blue depending on you Bat-preference) and you have Batman College.

Howard didn't copy the Bills. In fact the Bills copyrighted the logo before Howard had the chance.

University of Maryland-Eastern Shore (UMES) and Coppin State desperately need updates.

Coppin State

7500_zpsbe756533.png

UMES Primary

2486_maryland-eastern_shore_hawks-primary-2007_zps9d52a769.png

Secondary

9746_maryland-eastern_shore_hawks-secondary-2007_zps51b1975b.png

Secondary logo that their baseball team uses

5551_maryland-eastern_shore_hawks-alternate-2007_zps584117d0.png

GrizzlyBlack Designs, UDC Firebird

Living in the DC area my entire life I can tell you that Howard's best bet is to continue using the charging buffalo logo. I've seen several original howard logos over the years, and they've all been garbage.

bison.jpg

256.png

Hotter Than July > Thriller

Howard didn't copy the Bills. In fact the Bills copyrighted the logo before Howard had the chance.

University of Maryland-Eastern Shore (UMES) and Coppin State desperately need updates.

The MEAC schools need to hire whoever designed the logos for Morgan State & North Carolina A&T. Those two have the best branding in the conference.

Hotter Than July > Thriller

Is that still their official logo? I see this one used more often.

lxsoX_zps521f9502.png

This has always reminded me of the generic designs Nike use on football shirts. Keeping the same football but replacing the school logos in the middle. Maybe BC copied? I think the monogram would work fine on it's own.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who is reminded of the Nike football shirts when they see this logo.

The MEAC schools need to hire whoever designed the logos for Morgan State & North Carolina A&T. Those two have the best branding in the conference.

And don't forget Hampton. They have a pretty good set too.

GrizzlyBlack Designs, UDC Firebird

718px-SSUTigersLogo.png

Fun experiment with this design. Read it lower-right to upper-left (or back leg to face). Look how the style changes from something that is more modern/minimalist (like the Hamilton Tiger-Cats logo) to a much more graphic/illustrative logo (like college mascots of the 70s) as you go further up.

My alma mater, Sam Houston State Univ., could use a change. It used to be a simpler version of this, which I liked. The one below is just too busy for an interlocking letters logo.

Sam_Houston_State_Logo.jpg

Go for a total overhaul, they have dreadful uniforms, too:

Sports%20Flanders%20400.jpg

Here's 5 that I think should be better than they are:

- Ball State

- Northern Iowa

- Portland State

- Indiana State

- Air Force

- Ball State

- Northern Iowa

- Portland State

- Indiana State

- Air Force

Air Force? I'd say they have one of the better identities in college sports.

And don't forget Hampton. They have a pretty good set too.

I'd also add Delaware st. In that mix as well

In case anyone cares...

...A&T's and Delaware State's athletic identities are products of Phoenix Design Works (and have all the telltale design cues of such). Hampton was done by Rickabaugh Graphics, who also did at least the academic branding for Morgan State, not sure about the athletic side though—looks a bit Bosack-ish in illustration style. (Speaking of Bosack, he/they have at least one HBCU athletic identity that I know of to his/their credit: Southern.) I'm almost certain that B-CU "mark" was the brainchild of former HC Alvin Wyatt, who also had a propensity for designing his teams' uniforms, for what that's worth. I have no clue about Savannah State—this is the first I'm seeing of that.

Sadly (from our collective creative standpoint anyway), many HBCUs simply don't care enough if at all about athletic branding, that or they just don't have the resources in their budgets to shell out for a decent package. Hopefully, though, with rhe heightened awareness on collegiate athletic branding these past few years, that might begin to change (again, for the sake of our collective creative conscience :P ).

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Looking at their site, I didnt know that Phoenix has been around that long. Finally got a good look at the proposed 76ers logos from the 90s.

Facebook: CustomSportsCovers Twitter: CSCovers

No because when the Irish came to Ireland and first came in contact with the leprechaun people, they didn't take their land away and force them to move west. Instead, the two groups learned to assimilate peacefully. However, certain tribes of the leprechaun refused to taint the pure blood and moved north into the forests of Ireland, only to be seen rarely, usually at the same time of a rainbows appearance and occasionally at the factories of Lucky Charms.

Austin Peay.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

- Ball State

- Northern Iowa

- Portland State

- Indiana State

- Air Force

Air Force? I'd say they have one of the better identities in college sports.

I was conflicted on that one. I like their entire identity except for this logo:

Air+Force+logo.gif

I assumed that's the primary, but thinking about it now, it seems like the AF monogram is. I don't have their style guide on hand, so I can't confirm. But They should have a way better falcon than that.

Archived